Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed29SEPT11 Moving Cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 23:17
Personally I am happy with the current definition of what is exploit and what isn't: Something that the dev team tells us is an exploit = exploit. Something they tell us is no exploit = not exploit. Because at the end of the day this is their game and it is for them to say what is intended and what isn't, not the players - who are all subject to biases based on their in-game situation.

I would kind of like an answer to my question above though. I feel the last few pages of this thread have been somewhat of a side-track.
Koragg View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 15:38
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Ok so Exodus has arrived - and it's been in effect quite a few weeks now I guess.

But wasn't one of the main points in bringing in Exodus to enable the devs to close the 'negative food, zero balance' glitch without being unfair on people who had placed their cities in a manner unsuited to the proposed changes?

(snip)

Can we at least get some kind of indication of whether this issue is going to be sorted 'now' or 'next' or 'later' or 'never'?

This is addressed here;

In other words - the changes they proposed opened up a MUCH LARGER explot, so they're holding off until they can do it without making things worse, and if they can't, they'll cancel the plan.  (Reading through all of the announcements over the last 3 or so months is a good way to get an overall feel of the state of proposed changes, btw, and if you are big enough that this change affects you enough to spend prestige on, you should probably already be in the habit of reading all of these.  Though considering this very thread is in the 'announcements' section, I'm baffled as to why you didn't read the one I'm linking now?)

EDIT:  WHOOPS, posted the wrong link somehow?

Edited by Koragg - 01 Nov 2011 at 15:39
--------
Koragg, Faction Abassador for Dwarven Druids [Druid]
Phineous, Trade Co-ordinator for Fairy Road Authority [Roads]
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 21:00
Apparently there is a glitch and city walls are NOT affected by Exodus.  Either the documentation or the coding needs to be changed, perhaps.

[21:01]<LadyLuvs> I have heard they don't drop
[21:01]<SunStorm> it does not level down - I have exodused already
[21:01]<LadyLuvs> the walls I mean
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 03:19
Indeed Korag - I am in the habit of reading every announcement. And I did read about this 'other potential exploit'. But just because one possible avenue of approaching the problem is blocked (due to causing bigger issues?) does certainly NOT mean we should accept the current glitch being left open for all eternity for all to exploit if they should be so inclined.

All I was saying is that things seem to have gone very quiet on the current glitch existing in the game - and I would just like an idea of whether steps are being taken to remedy this.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 15:15
imho - It's quite simple really: Just implement the original 'non-decoupling' solution...

- When food is negative and balance is zero - write a small piece of code that forces tax rate down until food production is 0 or above - if food production is still negative at 0% tax then it is no big deal - since there'll be no particular advantage to having a huge population in a town if it isn't producing any gold at all.
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 04:39
What would happen in reality if you ran out of food, people starve and die including your troops, same should apply here so if you don't constantly by it in or create a positive production rate then bad luck reality kicks in, your people are tired so they can't work or fight so all production begins to slide until you correct it. Don't know how hard that is to put into code but that's my thoughts.
intor View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 05:18
This might have been easier to handle if population wasn't tied directly to building food consumption.

If buildings were instead providing work/employment slots for population, and the actual population of a city were based on how attractive people find living conditions there (tax rate; size of recent change to tax rate; recent attacks on the city; etc.), running out of food could be easily handled by having the population starve/leave the city. 

There would not be a need to auto-demolish buildings either, as has been suggested.

The current approach is much easier to understand, as you don't need to spend time familiarizing yourself with all the factors and how they affect population, but is also quite inflexible.

Edited by intor - 08 Nov 2011 at 05:19
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 08:46
I like intor's idea.

But to be honest - a change along those lines would require an entire rethink of the basic fundamental game mechanics - not only do I think it is perhaps a little late for that but I also think it would require an enormous amount of coding that would take alot of time - a commodity that does not appear to be in great supply.

You know that the solution I propose above is the most obvious, the most simple, the easiest to implement and the lowest impact (to those that AREN'T currently abusing the glitch) solution.
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 10:27
I agree with your idea Createure but didn't the devs say that in decoupling the food there is an even bigger exploit created?
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:46
Indeed they did say that MrD, please read what I wrote above:

Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

It's quite simple really: Just implement the original 'non-decoupling' solution...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
  Share Topic