Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDashboard page - vital info from all cities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JimJams View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashboard page - vital info from all cities
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 14:19
I would like to have several summary pages. Developers could look at illy tools, there is a very nice resource summary page. I would add also a military summary page, with the number of units owned by each city for each kind. And diplo, the same.

Summary, summary please ;-) We are city managers...
Skim Milk View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 04:19
I think just a queue showing "Next Event" from all cities would be nice. It would be nice to eliminate any dead time.
Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 03:53
Business applications, at least in health care, have similar things. They put the world at your fingertips and would make things much easier. It could be tabbed, to allow, for example you to look at all your caravans that are out and about. or it could use a drop down to see all buildings under construction.

I would love to be able to see resources in the city I am sending them to, my own, so I can better balance the shipment.

Great thought, sorry I haven't commented sooner. 

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Aldonis View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 15:51
a Dashboard would be useful considering the latest dropdown city list change that has been implemented to not show Pop or coordinates of the cities. imagine how hard itd be for half a dozen cities? but as Rill said, playing a spreadsheet, that would take the fun out of choosing the buildings directly in each city without having to Find it first.
Babbens View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:23
I happily use it in several other games, and it doesn't feel like a spreadsheet at all, it is only one more useful option.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 23:58
Rill: "… playing a spreadsheet …"

Good point. It would take a little away from 'visiting a place and having a look around', to be closer to casting an uncommitted eye over grid of numbers.

I'll disclose that for part of my job, I design UIs and develop finance and information systems. I tend to see opportunities to optimize or condense stuff down to just the bits that need attention.
G0DsDestroyer View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:50
heh, I aint complaining with what we got and at home my internet is slow, and i mean real damn slow!Tongue
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 19:54
I'm ambivalent.  Seems like this could get a bit like playing a spreadsheet.

Edited to add:  Presumably it would be entirely optional, which would mean it would be no bother to people who don't want to play that way.  But if a fair number of people might not use it, then maybe it's not a high priority to build.  The devs have previously mentioned wanting to invest in something that would reduce the amount of clicks, and it seems like something like this would accomplish that.  I can see both sides.

Edited by Rill - 19 Jan 2012 at 19:57
Babbens View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 17:09
I am all for it, I really think that such a dashboard page would be very useful.

I am surprised that no one seems interested except us two.
Is it such a bad idea that it doesn't even deserve a little discussion?

Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 00:16
I spend quite a lot of time flitting between cities, checking if queues need filling, checking Res vs Storage, and so on.

It would be nice to have a concise (and well-packed) at-a-glance page that shows, for ALL cities at once:
  1. Build queues, with their respective two countdowns. It should be easy to see if one is empty.
  2. Research queues, "
  3. Resource 'Fill Level' bar graphs, horizontal but otherwise as per Inventory.
  4. Empty production queues.
  5. Sovereignty plots having buildings below Claim level.
  6. Sieges and attacks in progress (with, for example, an indication of siege progress).
  7. Inter-city caravans (but not harvesting caravans).
  8. Stats like total population, and number required for next city -> Settlers page.
I'm certain that this new page would be used a lot, particularly by people with 3+ cities. I expect it would reduce server load and clicks.

The design challenge will be to fit this into a usable area, and have navigation take you to the right page to perform a desired action.

I'm sure I've missed some essential types of information from the above numbered list. My point was not to have a complete list, but to float the idea of an all-encompassing Dashboard. If anyone has suggestions for other inclusions, please add them to the pile!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic