FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvance Notice: New Buildings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 00:38
Perry I do not think you will loose the secondary buildings if you get rid of kiln, foundry etc.

However, I would not advise removing them.  I would advise taking down some of your production buildings, based on which troops you produce in a city, for example if you have a city where you only recruit cav, you can tear down the spearmaker and / or fletcher.

Also 1 maxed brewery can produce enough to support at least 2 cities if not 3, so you could loose some of those.  You probably do not need a forge in every city either.

Well thats my advice, hope it helps.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 01:31
Siege workshop is a good building to demolish or not ever build -- you might need one or two of them spread among your cities.  Consider a vault in one "safe" city but not all of them.  Really the new buildings are good for developing a multi-city or even multi-player (alliance) strategy.  Given resource upkeep most people would probably choose to build 2-4 (3-5 if you count the Architects Tower which you will tear down later) of the new buildings in order to specialize a city -- so think of identifying several buildings that you will not need one of in every city.  These buildings probably include the siege workshop, brewery, vault and depending on your strategy one or more of the weapons/advanced resource production buildings.  Just those clear out 2-4 buildings per city that can then be used for specialization.

New players building their first cities are probably better off sticking to tier 1 buildings -- you are unlikely to have the troop or diplo numbers to take advantage of the upkeep reduction buildings, nor the mana available to make the geo buildings worthwhile.  So build pretty much all the tier 1 buildings but the siege workshop in your first city, replace the siege workshop with the Architect's tower, then when you get several thousand population in your first city and have built your second and third look toward specialization.

That's my initial take on specialization, and I'd be interested to hear from vets who have more cities than I do (since I have almost four) on how they think this works in the long run.  It's possible that this part of the thread should be moved to the "General Questions" portion of the forum so we can continue the discussion there.
dspn23 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 17:01
i don't realy get it... wat is the point of even having buildings such as brewery spearmaker siege workshop tannery (maybe saddlemaker) (tavern? well at least for now) for many also storehouse or vault
this talking about they're efect because about the pop boost well that can go for T2 buildings
if for ex: spear cost:
1 gold
30 wood (90gold)
5 clay      (15gold)
20 iron    (60gold)
well i can sell them at more but 3 is reasonable
so 1 spear cost 166 gold to pruduce and costs only 140 at market wich is preaty expensive at the moment but look at bear or any other... they cost more to produce than buy..
if you say that you had no better use for the res it is a lie because this t2 can consume a lot of basics together with sov the rest you can sell them
just one more ex: how can a cow cost more than a leather armour if it costs a cow and more?

well there are a lot of place to the T2 buildings and if once more you are realy plenty of basics well take those 4buildings  that give up to 40% for basics down in that case you can have a city with just:
market
barracks
consulate
library
mage tower
flourmill
padock
comoun ground
blacksminth
forge
werehouse
fletcher
bookbinder
wich is just 13
you have 12 more
every city with a runemaster
maybe chancery of estates
maybe the biome one
and the one that increase comanders xp
the other 7 can go splited ex:
4 city's each one pruduce 1 unit (a city for spears a city for bows...)
make 2 or 3 of that specialization
leaves 4 squares for city (16)
make 1 or 2 gemancer's to reaching the 4 city's
it leaves you with 4*4=16         16-2=14
2 or 3 to get a decent diplo visibility (11more)
some 4? to diplos upweek (7more or maybe 3)
8 more left or 3 (this is for every 4 city's you have)
i'm out of ideas... lool wat to do with that much spaces? in a 10 empire it is at minimum 8 more that can go for new buildings that might apear in the game

Edited by dspn23 - 12 Nov 2011 at 17:08
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 19:37
I expect that as more people knock down their spearmaker, fletcher, siege workshop, brewery, etc., these commodities will probably increase in price, and that folks will beging building them again until the market reaches an equilibrium.  Will be interesting to see that evolve.
Perryakai View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 17:38
What bugs me is that these T2's as y'all call them arent available unless you research them. And then you gotta tear something down in order to build 1 of them. So, I cant build squat in my 1st 2 towns as all the plots are taken. If I keep doing research on the other 3 towns and build nothing, then I can make the T2's, but that's assuming I leave them defenceless and such, which is dangerous, even though all 5 are in the same area. Why cant we just upgrade a T1 into a T2? This would make more sense, since they cant be bothered to give us the extra plots. I think the whole idea is crap. And I for 1 am very annoyed at the devs for the petty narrow-mindedness. What is the point of a reward if you cant use it?
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 17:46
Originally posted by Perryakai Perryakai wrote:

What bugs me is that these T2's as y'all call them arent available unless you research them. And then you gotta tear something down in order to build 1 of them. So, I cant build squat in my 1st 2 towns as all the plots are taken. If I keep doing research on the other 3 towns and build nothing, then I can make the T2's, but that's assuming I leave them defenceless and such, which is dangerous, even though all 5 are in the same area. Why cant we just upgrade a T1 into a T2? This would make more sense, since they cant be bothered to give us the extra plots. I think the whole idea is crap. And I for 1 am very annoyed at the devs for the petty narrow-mindedness. What is the point of a reward if you cant use it?

ill play possum and pretend i didn't read that blasphemous thing.
tear down your vault or your siege workshop.
a and btw, this is what we call specialization. it is intentional and it works.

Edited by Kilotov of DokGthung - 15 Nov 2011 at 17:48
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 17:46
Because these buildings are meant you to specialize your towns... not all cities have to have all the same basic buildings..
Erik Dirk View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 00:45
I'd still like to see a vault update soon, at the moment it is not only pointless to have one, but actually a very VERY bad idea, because it will protect your basic res but mostly leave you advanced res unguarded. Therefore if advanced thieves are sent it will be more likely you'll loose valuable items
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 01:56
Originally posted by Erik Dirk Erik Dirk wrote:

it will protect your basic res but mostly leave you advanced res unguarded

lol - run that by me again?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 02:14
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Originally posted by Erik Dirk Erik Dirk wrote:

it will protect your basic res but mostly leave you advanced res unguarded

lol - run that by me again?

I think Erik means that the vault protects many more basic resources than it does advanced.  For a newer player a high-level vault might protect almost all basic resources but only a portion of some advanced resources, depending on the amount of basic resources and advanced resources that were on hand.  Therefore the advanced resources would be "available" to steal and the basic resources would not.  An example would be a new player who received a gift of 100 books and had a level 5 vault.  The vault would protect a fairly substantial quantity, perhaps all, of the basic resources on hand but only 50 books.  Thus the vault would place the books at higher risk than if there had been no vault protecting the basic resources.

This could be an argument for not leveling the vault too high for a fairly new player.  This is part of the reason I don't recommend leveling the vault past level 3 for players in the first week or two of play.

However, as players grow usually the amount of basic resources routinely held in storage also grows, so an argument can be made for upgrading the vault as the player grows.  The focus then shifts from protection of basic to protection of advanced resources.  The vault will never be particularly efficient at protecting advanced resources, and a combination of a high-level rune and one's own thieves is likely the best protection for advanced resources in the long term.

I tend to disagree that the vault should be upgraded to protect substantially more advanced resources --  although as a purely defensive player complete safety might be a nice thing, likely would make people less likely to develop flexible and interesting strategies that add depth and meaning to the game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic