Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Self Defense for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Uno View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 17:37
In your first couple of weeks:

1) try and make contacts with your neighbors and try and be friendly with them. This means, don't start bumping caravans all around you.
2) build your VAULT up to level 10.
Eréc of Caer Uisc
King of Dyfneint
Indomiti Alliance
Duuvian View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duuvian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 05:33
Now that the vault has been changed a bit, perhaps it's time for a re-evaluation of it's usefulness on the front lines of noobness. 

Up to the recent change, vault seems useful to new players at the very start of your account on your first city, but after a few weeks it became obsolete.

Now, with it holding 10 I believe adv resources per level, that's not too bad. That is, until you start getting buildings to the point where you can queue up lots and lots of resources behind your army of thief defenses at which point a set number isn't as good.

The way that seems best to me if the devs are reading would be to have it be both a set number and a percentage of the stock to be protected; or a different vault building that has that function; and to use the higher of the two. It would be useful later on in case someone designs a Thiefmaster city and sends out 8k thieves at a time to random large cities.

So I guess a few levels would not hurt if you don't have something else to build, but I don't think I would take it to 10 as a new player now if I had the same game knowledge. Maybe up to 5 until I started getting hit with thieves, as buildings below level 5 are pretty quick to build.

Edited by Duuvian - 24 Sep 2011 at 05:49
Wolf Ravenclaw View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Ravenclaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 16:38
As a new player. First off this is a very good guideSmile   . But may I ask why you don`t recommend upgrading your library once a day as you will need the research points to carry out this processes as well (if I missed it I apologise)

I finish by saying a BIG THANK YOU to you and all the others that have taken the time to write these guides to make things easier for others

ClapClapClapClapClap
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 16:49
Upgrading your library is addressed in the new players guide, but you are absolutely right Wolf -- upgrade your library!
Daufer View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daufer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 20:58
Also Wolf, as a new player you will often find veterans in global chat willing to send a few books along with the customary gift of building resources if you ask.  If you are in an alliance of course, first ask your larger members (who have more research points than they know what to do with) to send you some.  I would say that at the very beginning when you have few resources to work with the upgrading of storage capacity, resource production and defense should have priority over the library.  A few dozen books up front would give you more research points than a small library would give you in the first week.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 09:30
I have updated this guide with recommendations about building a vault.  As always, I am interested in the thoughts of vets and newer players about the suggestions.  I don't know everything and base my guides on the consensus of many contributors.  Thanks to all those who have shared their wisdom!
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 23:06
Stickied. :)
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Chadgod, Norman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chadgod, Norman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 02:56
Great guide. Thanks a whole bunch.
Gilthoniel View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilthoniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:22
Yep. happy with that. Smile
hiram_sedai View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiram_sedai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 18:04
@Mister Rill,

Please be avised that both you and William Shatner are my heroes and everything I had hoped to be.  I will have to read your advice a few times to fully comprehend it but I am grateful for the time and effort you expended on my behalf.

Well, not me specifically, but new peoples.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic