Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Self Defense for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 18:14
Hey kumo, since i have you here and since this is a newbie defence guide with newbie def topics going on.

Say Newbie A is thieved by medium sized player B, Player B is discovered for thieving newbie A, what will Newbie Deffenders C and D usually do?
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 19:18
I guess it depends upon who Newbie Defenders C & D are!

Often times larger, veteran players who are passionate about protecting newbies (and there are a few of them) will demand compensation from Player B on behalf of Player A. And if Player B doesn't pay Player A back, they're likely to take a piece of Player B's hide.

I'm not speaking for myself or my alliance in this regard, just an observation based upon historical actions.

Edited by Kumomoto - 09 Sep 2011 at 19:19
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:04
Would you agree with the action of said newbie defender sieging newbie attacker for thievery or basic raids?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:17
I would observe that siege is a tool in the belt of all large players and that dismissing the possibility of siege would be both unfortunate and unwise.  Committing in advance to a specific course of action makes the likelihood of adverse action being taken at all greater, if an attacker of new player calculates that he/she will "only" be raided and/or thieved.

Seems to me that vets would be wise not to count out any specific tool or comment on their likely actions in advance.

I would hope it suffices to say that Illy vets react powerfully and flexibly in response to attacks on new players, depending on the situation.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:20
Well we can use a recent exampe of Binky Boy, who funnigly enough broke his own alliance rules and thieved or sab'ed a newbie. 

Fate of siege of all towns, he brought some population "minimal" to his zero pop city to have ti sieged again, he is also currently scorn and treated as an outcast.

Seems a tad bit extreme.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:32
We're getting off topic.  I'm hoping that this thread can continue to focus on self defense for new players.  Debate about actions veterans take should perhaps continue in a different thread.

Edited by Rill - 09 Sep 2011 at 20:34
Johnny112 View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 18:49
Rill, I thought your guide was great! There are a few key things that I put in Havoc's private forum's under our "Tips for New Beginners" but this has gone into it! I whole heartedly believe that this has benefited the community as a whole.
(EOM) Harry View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (EOM) Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 19:47
Killotov, veteran status is not how much pop you have but how long you've played :)
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 20:58
Originally posted by (EOM) Harry (EOM) Harry wrote:

Killotov, veteran status is not how much pop you have but how long you've played :)

I would say that both pop and time played are weak measures of "vet status".  I suggest that the more relevant measure is what a player has done.  A loner that has been here a long time and built big cities might be poorly equipped to handle many facets of Illy.

It's the swing that matters, not the size of the bat.
tallica View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 21:04
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

It's the swing that matters, not the size of the bat.

No, it's the skill of the sailor, not the size of the ship, plus the motion of the ocean!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic