Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 19:24
I want a better HM quote.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Iduna View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 12:21
Im sorry if I was not clear enough, the thing that bothers me most is players IN an alliance asking on GC for resources. If the alliance he/she is in cannot provide for the player he/she should really reconsider the alliance he/she is in.
those with no fear are wreckless
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 16:27
From my guide:

3) Visit Global Chat (GC). Say hi. Most likely, veterans will be watching and recognize you as a new player. Many vets routinely send new players resources and goods with no expectations - it's just being nice and welcoming to new players to the Illy community.

4) If you visit GC and you see inbound caravans, you should upgrade your Storehouse to increase the amount of basic resources you can receive. Resources that exceed your storage capacity are lost forever - poof. If that happens, do not worry. There will be more, just visit GC again.

Some have said that I advise new players to ask for resources.  Please note that all I advise is for new players to say Hi on GC.  No more than that.

My basic Welcome Wagon is 500 each: gold, basics, food.  Once I am better established I will include 50 books (1K RP).  I started doing this because I believe that 1) the tutorial rewards are much too light; 2) the initial inventory of supplies is much too light; 3) the early build phase takes much too long; and 4) for the foregoing reasons, most new players quit Illy before leaving player protection.

I rarely provide additional resources beyond my initial Welcome Wagon.  With others providing Welcome Wagons these days, I also do not send very many these days.

The begging and demanding resources is impolite at best.

I think providing new players with weapons is a mistake.  It encourages them to build a too small army too soon.  The tax support drags early production.  The small army is bait for slightly larger players to kill and earn XP.  If they don't build an army, then the goods are an invitation to thieves.

The goal of all us that try to help newbs should be to "teach them to fish."  We should not overwhelm the newbs with resources so that they never develop their internal economy.  I have encountered many newbs that have huge (100K) storage capacity but only produce 100/hr internally.  This is NOT good for the newb.

A newb should not need a storehouse over level 7.  That storage is more than adequate to handle resources for making a level 3 Mage Tower and developing internal resource production.  Beyond that the newb should strive for self-sufficiency.

Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 05:57

100k storage capacity for a noob is just fail...  all jokes aside, i do not send advance res to new players...  usually it's 1 or 2k each and some books. I also won't send to a player with over 200-300 pop .. i think at that point they should already be well on their way. 

that said, I think some players make it their game to send assistance to other players.  Who they decide to send assistance to should really be no ones concern but the two players. They perhaps have their own agenda. I can immediately think of 3 reasons one might do this.

1. This is the policy of some groups, to assist other newer players without regard to status or alliance.  For example, this is the policy of Dwarven Druids (any Dwarf can ask the Arch-Druid in their region for assistance. Alliance does not matter).
  2. Some alliances might give resources as gratuity with a view toward politics and public opinion. What better way to bind a smaller group to your own?
  3. Older groups may be conducting a war-by-proxy. If a newer group is engaging war and being supplied by an older group then this would be my first supposition.

What might appear on the face to be over-generosity may actually be intricate strategy on the part of a player or group of players.  No one can guess another's motive for giving a gift and in the end, it is their prerogative and no one else's to dictate. - M.

<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 06:03
  Don't ask for resources from me with in-game-messages unless you know me or you are in my alliance.   

Edited by <Squill> - 10 Sep 2011 at 06:05
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 13:20
Originally posted by Iduna Iduna wrote:

he/she

Please no slash speak... >.<

Originally posted by <Squill> <Squill> wrote:

Don't ask for resources from me with in-game-messages unless you know me or you are in my alliance.   

Well now that you've said that I'm going to start begging you for stuff via in-game mail...

<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 14:29
For all your effort you put into spamming my mailbox; Brids, I have given you your just reward. :P
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 17:51
It works! =D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic