FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed26AUG11 - New Art, Google Checkout, Relocate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 23:17
I really don't mind my new teenage body, and I think you have a very talented artist working with you...  Seriously... like, "Boris" is feeling jealous about now.

The fashion choice, however, is criminal.  Ouch!
It's not the skant... really.  It's just that some of us are more sensitive to what we wear when we leave the house in the morning.

Somewhere there is an elven Jimmy Choo who is puking all over those boots.  And shoulder pads?  C'mon, am I the co-star of LA Law?  Or the lead singer from the Hotels?  I don't think even Lady Gaga would sport that bra, either.

So, keep the artist!  He's great.
Find a fashion consultant, though....
(chuck chuck!)
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:02
Though the quality of art is improved the choice of weapon per character is a little curious. Human male with Axe compared to a Dwarven male with a sword? Both Eleven characters Bow-less?

(Who cares about the Orcs as we all know Orcs aren't real).
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:06
There was a big discussion when the female elf showed up on the login screen, and some valid points were raised but in the end it was at least something impersonal.  Now these images are being forced onto players' personal in-game identities.  The old generic/cartoony images hadn't enough personality to offend.  This is a whole other can of worms, and players should at least be able to opt out of having these avatars on their profile.  Far better would be to make them opt-in features with the game-provided graphics being merely a default option--maybe with the old versions still available as well.  I rather liked my old elf male.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:12
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

There was a big discussion when the female elf showed up on the login screen, and some valid points were raised but in the end it was at least something impersonal.  Now these images are being forced onto players' personal in-game identities.  The old generic/cartoony images hadn't enough personality to offend.  This is a whole other can of worms, and players should at least be able to opt out of having these avatars on their profile.  Far better would be to make them opt-in features with the game-provided graphics being merely a default option--maybe with the old versions still available as well.  I rather liked my old elf male.

A*

Damn..... am I giving HM credit???   Damn, yeah I guess so.

Wink HM

fluffy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:42
+1 to HM

I miss my axe!
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:47
To most people (I include myself here), the new images won't make much difference to how they feel about the game. Some will love the images, but some will not like them, some will be offended on behalf of a demographic, and a few will actually be offended themselves. However, they give the game 'marketing candy' to attract new players who see screenshots.

So although I don't see the direct benefit of having cash spent on contracting this artwork, I do appreciate that it's necessary to draw new players in, to generate more capital via the increase in Prestige purchases. It's especially important because games in this genre(-ish) are big-money cash cows with huge creative investment - they set a standard that we are compared against.
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 00:57
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

To most people (I include myself here), the new images won't make much difference to how they feel about the game. Some will love the images, but some will not like them, some will be offended on behalf of a demographic, and a few will actually be offended themselves. However, they give the game 'marketing candy' to attract new players who see screenshots.

So although I don't see the direct benefit of having cash spent on contracting this artwork, I do appreciate that it's necessary to draw new players in, to generate more capital via the increase in Prestige purchases. It's especially important because games in this genre(-ish) are big-money cash cows with huge creative investment - they set a standard that we are compared against.

Dont think anyone is saying to get rid of them.   Just provide an alternative for those that dont want them.

I will be keeping both of mine, even with a choice.
Qaal View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 03:55
I think some aspects of the new art are pretty solid. The new dwarf female is pretty awesome. Gone from the old nondescript dwarf woman to saying, "Kiss those kneecaps goodbye, slightman. It's choppin' time." All those toughs free up us dwarf males to throw our Zeus vibe, which is tolerable sheik. Though I do miss the old dwarf male giving his propers to the heavens.

But some of the new art has definitely gone one dimensional. The old orcs had a bit of a conniving flavor, which I really liked. The new seem flatter, more cashed in for the standard big, green, and mean trip. Done, and overdone. And a stripper elf...seriously? Nothing wrong with sexy, but in the immortal words of Inspector Clouseau, "Now is not the time, Cato."

I think the folks suggesting that we have some choices are probably on to the best solution. It would add depth--conniving orcs could be conniving, and big-mean-green orcs could be big, mean, and green. And teenage boys could go with hot elf, while others go for a more sartorially sensible selection. And isn't that one of the main points about Illy--that it offers more depth than most MMORPG experiences?
Qaal View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 04:11
Although, upon further review of the dwarf male, it does look like we scalped Ron Wood to make our cloak. Someone please apologize to Mr. Wood and let him know that we will return his hair forthwith.
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 04:51
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

you amuse me to no end.

all this fuss about skin makes me LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic