Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 15:59
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Llyorn, that comment was not directed at yourself.  Nevertheless, I fail to see how your point of view has in any way been under-represented in this thread.  And I think there's a short in the logic system when the foremost counterargument is not a refutation of observations/rationale, but rather a call to "lighten up."

That's the "it's just a game" argument revisted, which does little besides dismissing the argument and by extension others' differing opinions.

Creating a realistic sense of perspective is by no means a short in logic. I would contend by its very nature itself logical. Perspective itself can refute 'rationale' and is not merely a call to 'lighten up'. And once again, no I am not dismissing the argument nor others opinions and again I find the insinuation patronizing.

I guess we're at logger heads and will agree to disagree.

Llyorn I think that just as with Kil, you are caught arguing against a point which I dont think anyone has tried to make here.

No-one has called for the removal of this image, or any other form of censorship.  It is merely a case that a player has felt let down that this image (which she clearly felt was not suitable) has been forced onto her as a profile picture.

I beleive that any 'realistic perspective' would let any reasoned person see that a player should not have something like this changed about their own account, without some choice being available to them.  Many of us have spent along time and alot of effort building our accounts and I am sure you can appreciate that; if the devs enforced somekind of imagery onto yours that you felt was completely unsuitable to your character here, you would appreciate being able to change it, or simply have it removed from your own account.

We are not looking for a ban, or an excuse to victimise people that choose to hold on to the image in question, just that the player who was offended by it is allowed an alternative on her own profile.

Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 16:36
Darkwords:

I fully support the contention that players should be able to represent an avatar according to his/her choice/tolerance/belief/whatever

"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 16:54

Darkwords:

I fully support the contention that players should be able to represent an avatar according to his/her choice/tolerance/belief/whatever

+1
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

It is merely a case that a player has felt let down that this image (which she clearly felt was not suitable) has been forced onto her as a profile picture.

Talking of let downs, I am very much let down by the ugly orc pictures. I would have loved to see myself as a ferocious orc, but not an ugly one! The ugliness is thrust upon my profile without my consent. 

I am more offended by bare ugliness than bare skin. Does my concern get as much attention as that of the offended elven ladies?

It is alright to express your dislike for the new picture. But it is unfair to complain of sexual objectification. Or maybe just as fair as complaining of stereotyping because the orcs were made to look ugly.

Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 17:18
I think that this is a tempest in a teapot. I'm sure the devs didn't wish to offend anyone. Imo, they have always shown great sensitivity. I would be surprised if they don't give anyone who is offended an alternate option at some point, but does it warrant a 10 page threadnought? Let's focus our considerable energies on other, more important brainstorming of game improvements that can help the GMs make the game better.

Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 18:55
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Let's focus our considerable energies on other, more important brainstorming of game improvements that can help the GMs make the game better.

+1 (after they have given the dwarven male a hammer or an axe Tongue)
Silent/Steadfast View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 19:04
For a peek into the minds of the GMs and their decision concerning the character art, look here.  It seems to me that the artist's idea was for the elfin girl to be attractive and otherworldly to her people, while the orc fearsome and the human motherly and strong.  Obviously, the "lewd image" was just a byproduct of this, and we should perceive the artwork as the artist wanted us to.
"Semantics are no protection from a 50 Megaton Thermonuclear Stormcrow."-Yggdrassil (June 21, 2011 6:48 PM)
"SCROLL ya donut!" Urgorr The Old (September 1, 2011 4:08 PM)
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 19:19
Originally posted by Silent/Steadfast Silent/Steadfast wrote:

For a peek into the minds of the GMs and their decision concerning the character art, look here.  It seems to me that the artist's idea was for the elfin girl to be attractive and otherworldly to her people, while the orc fearsome and the human motherly and strong.  Obviously, the "lewd image" was just a byproduct of this, and we should perceive the artwork as the artist wanted us to.

totally! And thanks for the link! Smile
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 16:16
Quote And of course we had to have one athletic-warrior-supermodel type, and she swiftly became the Elf.

And so she had to be half (it's probably more than 50%) naked in order to do that? You can't make someone appear attractive or athletic without taking their clothes off? Once again, that's sexist.
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 16:59
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Quote And of course we had to have one athletic-warrior-supermodel type, and she swiftly became the Elf.

And so she had to be half (it's probably more than 50%) naked in order to do that? You can't make someone appear attractive or athletic without taking their clothes off? 

yes attractive and athletic, but not the supermodel type! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic