Topic Closed26AUG11 - New Art, Google Checkout, Relocate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

The maturity Kil refers to is not a 'staunch defense of forced association with puerile attractions' rather a maturity to not let it bother one.

To be fair, I don't think Kil understand *why* the image is offensive and as such, I don't think maturity is relevant here. As I stated, it isn't about how provocative the image is, it's that it's sexually objectifying, something that I don't think Kil understands.

Besides, I don't see how being ignorant to sexist imagery is mature.

Edited by Brids17 - 29 Aug 2011 at 20:34
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 20:34
swearing has nothing to do whit fine arts, mr. morale guardian.

Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 20:36
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

The maturity Kil refers to is not a 'staunch defense of forced association with puerile attractions' rather a maturity to not let it bother one.

To be fair, I don't think Kil understand *why* the image is offensive and as such, I don't think maturity is relevant here. As I stated, it isn't about how provocative the image is, it's that it's sexually objectifying, something that I don't think Kil understands.

Besides, I don't see how being ignorant to sexist imagery is mature.

this is rude to.
of curse i understand.
you fear that people looking at it would consider it a sexual object, thus feeling legitimate to harass the welder of said avatar.
now stop try to look smart and actually read what i type.
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 20:43
Edited version below.

Edited by Llyorn Of Jaensch - 29 Aug 2011 at 20:44
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 20:44
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

The "pro-midriff" crowd is doing a very good job of marginalizing the realism and extent of exposure in the picture.  You're doing an even better job of willfully ignoring the actual point of contention.  If I don't want to see these graphics, I don't.  If it bothers me that much, I add a filter to Adblock+ and never see it again--that's the power of an open internet viewed by browsers that serve their users' interests.  My rights and sensibilities don't have to be dictated by yours or that of the services I use.

But if I'm a female Elf and don't want to show other people that image as a representation of myself, tough luck.  That's patently backwards and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you find it offensive or inappropriate.  I can't even change my gender to avoid this involuntary self-expression, and yes, proclaiming that no one should find a roughly 12% clothed woman offensive is willfully ignoring the sexual objectification inherent to such imagery.

The developers themselves disallow swearing in global chat.  Where's the "tolerance" there?  This has nothing to do with tolerance, because people want to tolerate the picture.  But there's nothing tolerant about enforcing your "tolerance" onto other people's personal identities.

In final clarification of my point.

I fully support the contention that players should be able to represent an avatar according to his/her choice/tolerance/belief/whatever

I was simply saying lets all get a little perspective.

I take offence when I request a little perspective (its a cartoon mid-drift) and Im accused of enforcing my view onto other people. Seriously?

And no I am not marginalizing any realism nor willfully ignoring the points of contention and I find it patronising that you suggest so. I find it ironic and hypocritical that the 'anti-midrift' crowd (Brids, HM), to adopt a bland generalization from HM, continually resort to direct or indirect insult in debate.

Edited by Llyorn Of Jaensch - 29 Aug 2011 at 20:58
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 21:01
Llyorn, that comment was not directed at yourself.  Nevertheless, I fail to see how your point of view has in any way been under-represented in this thread.  And I think there's a short in the logic system when the foremost counterargument is not a refutation of observations/rationale, but rather a call to "lighten up."

That's the "it's just a game" argument revisted, which does little besides dismissing the argument and by extension others' differing opinions.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 21:12
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Llyorn, that comment was not directed at yourself.  Nevertheless, I fail to see how your point of view has in any way been under-represented in this thread.  And I think there's a short in the logic system when the foremost counterargument is not a refutation of observations/rationale, but rather a call to "lighten up."

That's the "it's just a game" argument revisted, which does little besides dismissing the argument and by extension others' differing opinions.

Creating a realistic sense of perspective is by no means a short in logic. I would contend by its very nature itself logical. Perspective itself can refute 'rationale' and is not merely a call to 'lighten up'. And once again, no I am not dismissing the argument nor others opinions and again I find the insinuation patronizing.

I guess we're at logger heads and will agree to disagree.
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 21:13
Very well. Smile
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Leungarific View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 03:18
Then having a midriff being displayed on male elves is fair, too?
(Yes, I found this picture, including the facial expression to be utterly hilarious)

Divine Redemption View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 05:48
I am not offended by any of the new pictures.  Women have always been viewed as pretty creatures.  Instead of bashing a look, women should be proud that they are able to seduce the opposite sex with their curves, eyes, hair, and movement.

The problem with a game such as this, is the fact it has been released all over the world where different countries and different cultures have access to it.  These differences in culture bring out different views on topics such as these. 

I always find it amazing no matter what the topic is at hand, there will always be a different view on things.

The fact of the matter is, not one person or game company will be able to make everyone happy.  I am pretty sure more than 50% of the people you will meet will end up not liking you no matter how much you try to be fake so you can fit in with them.

In all reality, I thought the old female dwarf picture was more offensive than the new elf picture. Let me ask a question. How many people here have been offended over an over weight lady walking in tight spandex? 

This game is a business and if this game feels the majority of the player base is offended over the elf picture, perhaps they will change the picture.  I for one hope the dev team will give the elf female a hooter t-shirt to wear.

I do however find the profile pictures annoying whenever I wanted to add my own pictures to it. Most of the time these pictures did not match the profile picture. 

I think an easy solution would be to add more than one choice for an elf female or a dwarf male picture wise.  Use prestige to change your profile picture to an elf picture with clothes on or an elf picture wearing a hooter's t-shirt.

Edited by Divine Redemption - 30 Aug 2011 at 05:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic