Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStep by Step Guide to Harvesting Resources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 03:04
Cool. I'd always wondered what happened...if a NPC would spawn on an occupied square and what would happen. Thanks for sharing the information.
Sovereign View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 04:00
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Obviously if you are claiming sov on a spot you have to occupy it, and it is possible in a rare event your army might kill a caravan that went there intending to harvest.  I've never heard of that occurring in Illy (given the relative rarity of armies claiming sov compared to the whole map), but if it did hopefully the person claiming sov would compensate the person who sent the caravan.

I had this happen just a week ago in fact.  The exact circumstances were that I was claiming additional sov in my immediate 8 squares around my city.  I had been doing so for a while but a res node does spawn on one of them.  Vans from a new player arrived while I was still occupying.  Additional factors were that this player traveled 262 squares just for this resource.  I had been there over a day and a half so I chalked it up to them being unaware this could even occur.  Other wise I would have felt I was in the right considering the proximity and the length of time I was already there.  Never the less, I did mail this player and explain how this occurs and asked how man vans he had sent.  I intended to not only replace the van but send said res to him as well.  I figured to travel that far they must really need it.  They read it and never wrote back.  So yes, it does indeed happen.
~~Sovereign~~

"Dreams are the inspiration for the creation of man-made miracles"

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 05:40
Well, it's unfortunate that it happened, but sounds like Sovereign handled it in a way that was respectful and helpful to the new player.  Vets, if this happens to you, here's a best practice!

Harvesters, it may not be a bad idea to send a mail to a player before harvesting on their spawn spot, especially if the spot is a ways away -- the player can't know that you're intending to harvest.
rjv View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 18:29
Hi,
As a newbie i am grateful for your detailed post. However when i get to the worldmap on a resource and the click i do not see the harvest option only send army or send diplomats am i missing some technology? or something?

Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 19:30
I assume you have done everything the guide says--researched haggling, built a marketplace, and made some caravans. You wouldn't be able to harvest until these steps have been done. However, I just checked, and you should still have the option to harvest even if you don't have any caravans. (It simply tells you that you don't have any caravans.)

So I'm guessing the problem is that you're not clicking on the correct square. Not all squares can be harvested. Only special squares that have a small picture of the resource (like shown in the guide or on the game where it shows how much of each resource you have). It has a white, pulsing circle behind it. If you click on it, a pop-up menu appears that has a picture of the resource and the words "abandoned" mine or whatever the resource is.

Another possibility: If you have the zoom too far out on the map, you might accidentally not click on the correct square, so try again or work with a closer zoom.

Hope this helped.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 21:13
Check out this awesome idea:

[21:13]<badamf> two of us very near each other were constantly bumping each other. So we coordinated. I'm getting iron, stone, and wood and he's getting the other stuff. We split what we get and send it to the other guy.

Way to go!  Check with your neighbors and see if you can do this too.
Angua Whisper View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 03:38
If you cannot figure out who is havesting the resource, send a scout to investigate the resource square, He will report name and city and he will NOT interrupt the harvesting.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 03:27
Today I updated the guide to modify the "rules" based on more experience and to add information about spawning and about what research and marketplace levels are needed for various caravan advances.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 03:28
Good tip, Angua Whisper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic