FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed09Aug11 - Map Changes, other fixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 17:20
I second Iduna, I would love the Sov borders back, managing sov just got much harder.
But overall I love the new map, thanks!
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 17:06
I seem to recall people disliking Ui2 when it first came out for player testing, now everyone claims they never hated it etc. Give this enough time and you'll realize you love this too.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 16:42
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

I don't think the new icons are less distinguishable, but rather just less familiar (i.e. the original icons weren't very distinguishable either).

The new NPC icons are a bit less distinguishable than before. The current purple/white disks camouflage with the terrain. Most NPC squares being dark, the blackish animals in a dark purple disk escape the eyes. The original icons were better in that regard.

On the other hand, with drag and move it is now easier to study the map at a higher zoom level.
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 16:32
I would like to ask for a toggle switch for the mouse wheel zoom, so that I can turn it off from time to time
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 16:20
 - I've heard that the devs intend to improve the sov fog so it's not so overpowering.
 - As someone who never used the world map much, I don't think the new icons are less distinguishable, but rather just less familiar (i.e. the original icons weren't very distinguishable either).
 - When you visit a link with 3 numbers (i.e. #/World/Map/x/y/15) you still get the url-specified zoom level.  Because of this, users of Butler will still enjoy a user-configurable default zoom level (Butler applies the zoom level on-the-fly to any link pointing to the world map).  So this is also quite thoroughly a "no better, no worse" situation.

At least I don't have to wait a minute for each little graphic to fetch from Friedfox's fragmented and frayed freezer.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
alucardeck View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 14:15
well.. i have to agree with scar...

the zoom range is a lot better,  but the icons are poor (to not say ugly).. i still prefer the old ones..
also they are too small when zoom out so much, that is hard to see even the colors..
so there isnt a point of using that as a strategic map if u cant recognize nothing..

IMO, icons in a map should be something to call your attention, not to mix with the background making then almost invisible with Terrain active..
scar View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 13:01
I have mixed feelings about the changes to the mapping, some are excellant others need refining

good points:

1.  dragging of map

2. zoom in and out via mouse wheel

3. van/diplo movement without refreshing page

bad points:

1. npc/harvest nodes indistinguishable

2. node colours very poor

3. sov fog

4. world map seems slightly blurry

5. bring back the birds

6. no info on self or alliance armies/diplos

sorry to say it but the bad points outweigh the good IMO, improving the game is always  appreciated by the players as can be seen by peoples comments in GC and providing some of the bad points are re-addressed then its another step in the right direction, until then, overall i'll remain slightly disappointed.

Olek View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:22
UI is much more usable, thanks heaps.
Only issue I could say I have is seeing the resources & NPCs on the map, but then again it could be my age showing.
Stumpff View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 10:51
StarStarStarStarStar    Five Stars----GREAT JOB ON MAP UPGRADE

I use Google Chrome and it has brought nothing but happiness to Illyriad and my playing capabilities.
I cannot believe what a great job y'all have done with the World Map!  Clap
RatuJone View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 07:13
I think the grabdrag is fantastic; the additional zooming capability is also very good, but I would have appreciated a possibility of creating my own zoom position default- the position to which the zoom now defaults gives a screen size in which the icons are too small to discern properly especially the harvesting icons.

I am enough of a newb not to be worried about the new icon shapes Smile tho there will be a learning curve.

All in all, well done!

Ratu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic