Topic ClosedSell You're Cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sell You're Cities
    Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 12:46
I'd love to see cities up for trade, perhaps in the new trade version we can sell entire cities going under the hammer? Perhaps even an auction system? It will add great depth to illyriad, even if we cannot trade them on a market we should at least be able to transfer control to another player?
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 13:08
Someone once gave me book about different words that sound the same... witch eye didn't reed.
Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 22:10
Squill - Wont that be exploitable you think? If a big player buys the second city from a noob, builds it up in no time and sells it back to the new player - won't that mess up the progress of the game a great deal?
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 08:02
Perhaps, certain requirement's could be put in place like a vet can only buy a town if they are already able to build one?
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 20:17
That would be a given, but would it enable large players to turbobuild new starting cities for a newcommer thus reducing the start-up significantly. Since a Vet can add resources and research points continuously and instabuild with prestige he/she could make a well built pop 3000 town in about a week and sell back to the new player, effectively eliminating 1-2 months of introduction playtime when compared to players without a social network to rely on.

I think we should just stick to carepackages - thats the fair and even way to deal with it.
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 20:20
Hey Im a wordsmith - cool!
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 22:29
Congrats =)

Anyway, why would I, as a big mighty veteran player, buy a city, level it up, spend prestige, and then sell it back to a new player? The new player would have nothing to offer me because he's new, so what would I gain out of the time and money I put into the city? Doesn't sound broken because I see no reason for someone to do that for someone.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:16
The 'property reseller' idea disturbs me too, because the current progression curve is adequate for picking up new capabilities and learning to use them. With slow city development comes experience, responsibility, and a sense of emotional investment that tempers regular players. Just giving a newbie a completed city could be overwhelming, and subject to small disasters. 

To make city selling viable, I suggest all of the following:
  1. Only allow people to sell off a city if they have five or more cities, and
  2. Only allow sales to a player with at least three cities and a population within 25% of the seller's population.
  3. To help prevent the 'boosting' behaviour, add in some loss of future rights to a sold city. This has an inherent loophole, so we'll need validation to prevent city-swapping via a reseller.
...which is a bit too complicated. Maybe we should leave it as-is, because the gameplay gains are very small. How about a nice, simple, 'abandon city' option instead?

As a side-note, the idea of 'relinquishing some future rights to a city when sold', in isolation, is flawed, as it can be simply exploited by two colluding newbies.

Edited by Albatross - 25 Jul 2011 at 11:18
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:22
Just extending the idea of Abandon City, this has to have a disruptive effect on the city, where resource generation and tax revenue are immediately depleted by, say 15% and this slowly recovers over about 4 days (say 1 day per 2000 pop).
scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 19:28
I am not sure what selling a city would add to the game. There is currently a mechanism for ridding oneself of an unwanted city, it is called siege.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic