Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Forge is Lit
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 14:22
"That's it...just up that last switchback"
There was no ready response to the low, gruff voice of the caravan driver. The sound of the heavy iron bound wagon wheels rumbled over the hard packed clay and rock of the road, along with the occasional short huff of breath from the shaggy mountain ponies pulling the creaking, heavily packed supply train.

BellusRex peered from under the dusty, mile stained  hood of his travel gear.  Starlight seemed to hint at a brief gleam, perhaps of mail, quickly gone as he settled the cloak tightly around his short, thick frame. It had been an uncertain road at best, and for good or ill, it was almost at its end.

"Rak Khazad", he whispered to himself. It had become almost a talisman to him, even when he doubted that it was ever there at all.

Bellus long knew that Perrigor might hold the key, might be the last piece of the puzzle that had to fall in to place before it all could begin. How many times he had heard rumor and whispers of the place he had lost count. Countless country inns filled with the chatter of farmers, travellers, and all the strange mix of people and faces in Illyriad blurred into one. Always the friendly, laughing dwarf; the glint that sparked his mine dark eyes went unnoticed.

"Now it can began..."

"War is the father of all things..."
Amroth View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 23:05
Intriguing and I would like to read more.
~Amroth~
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:45
"You asked to be informed when the first of the work was done, MiLor..."

Magnus winced and trailed off into silence, eyes focused on a point just above the right shoulder of the dwarf seated in front of him.

"It's alright, Magnus, no need to get your beard in a tangle, my lad," Bellus sighed, pushing aside the worn and dog-eared map he been staring at for last few candlemarks. "Bellus, Bell...even the name won't matter much if you look like you're about to present me your axe for parade inspection every time you come in here."

"Here" was a large, well used field tent, bare of all but a cot and a large table piled with and groaning under the weight of books, scrolls, maps, even the odd sample of ore and rock. Folding camp chairs were scattered around the table, one of which Bellus now occupied as he pushed himself erect and spoke again to the embarrassed young dwarf standing rigid in front of him.

" Tell me," Bellus ordered. Magnus glanced briefly to the open flaps of the tent, checking the night automatically for the darker shadows of the Iron Guard in silent watch over the new camp.

"The pallisades are up, trenches dug and spiked, caltrops spread on the only approach of any use to cavalry, the slingers and crossbowman of Steel Rain report that the engineers have cleared fields of fire, and they have fixed the known distance ranges as well set the coverage zones."  "We're as ready as possible after only a few days here...Bellus," Magnus managed to say with only the slightest hesitation. 

"Excellent. Thank the boys for me, and maybe let a few casks of ale find their way to the work gangs."
"After all, what kind o' dwarf would me unmentionable self be if I let a chance to swill beer pass me by?" laughed Bellus.

Magnus tried not to react to the change in voice and manner he just witnessed. With a brief, aborted gesture that might have been a salute, he turned in soft rustle of chain and passed in to the dark beyond the tent.

Bellus sat back in his chair with a frown. The morning wasn't that far off, and if the map was right, the old standing stones were close. "Let's hope so," he thought, " for all our sakes...."
"War is the father of all things..."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic