FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtrolls in Illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 17:22
That was a great video, don't let anyone tell you different.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 00:33
As a newbie to Illyriad but with years of experience hosting tribes, clans, alliances in such meat grinders as TribalWars, Evony, NapWar, I have to say that this is by far the closest group of players to what I've looked for and how I and my alliances always played that I've ever found...

I can't abide bullies, in a game or real life. You can be an aggressive player, play up the RPG aspect in chat, and still play with decency and honor. There are all sorts of aspects to war, and war is my passion. That being said, what is the fun or challenge of attacking small players, weak players, or new players. Stealth and subterfuge all have their place, but it's easy to spot it as a strategy of play or as just another way to get over on someone. When does gamesmanship become sordid? Possibly when newbies are purposefully misled, set up, hounded out of the game simply because you can? 

Having said that, I would set out my style and intent in a war game, and I ask all of you in the community to call me out in any way you deem fit if I don't play by my own rules...

I initiate no attacks on active players smaller than myself...I will notify an opponent of impending hostilities if not readily obvious by circumstances...I will not break a promise or agreement without prior notice or for any reason that compromises my honor...I will aid all alliance members, allies, or anyone in need to my best ability...I don't lie, say anything I wouldn't say to the person being spoken of, nor instigate and encourage chat room feuds, fights, etc... How hard is it to honor your word, alliances, friendships?

I look forward to a long and happy time stomping around Illyriad...

"War is the father of all things..."
Amroth View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 05:22
Powerful thoughts which I absorbed and will consider. I do appreciate the responsible comments and To be honest I would have to say that I will reverse my stance on this and refrain form attacks on trolls. Some very honest ideas were stated and some have persuaded me that my previous policy would be in error and contrary to my general intent. While I would strongly discourage players from actively annoying others on Global Chat, I feel it would not be appropriate to attack them. My thanks to all who spoke their mind in response to the posted thread.
Regards, Amroth
RatuJone View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 05:33
Seems to me an easy solution would be to change the ToS.......NO Alts!!! Single accounts only and banning if or rather when alts are discovered.Wink
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:52
Originally posted by RatuJone RatuJone wrote:

Seems to me an easy solution would be to change the ToS.......NO Alts!!! Single accounts only and banning if or rather when alts are discovered.Wink
 Ratujone is right. This the simplest and most honest solution and yet it is the one which has been avoided by the Devs since the game was in its ealriest stages of development. 

THE GAME
Just as news editors like to create moral panics and folk devils to boost their tabloid's circulation so Illy's GM's have encouraged the labelling of trolls by categorising their tactics as "metagaming".
The use multiple accounts is not confined to "Trolls" but, in fact, is widespread throughout the game. Especially amongst alliance leaders who will tend to  "sit " more and more inactive accounts in order to maintain the alliance's rank. They have also been tempted to multi account with a view to influencing the outcome of Tournaments.  I have evidence on two longstanding alliances where this practise has obviously exceeded the permissable number of accounts controlled by one player. My guess is that the Devs must be aware of this also but, for their own reasons turn a blind eye to it or alternatively redefine the issues that come from it as "metagaming".

A return to the simple application of the rules and norms of browser games as suggested by RatuJone above would, I am sure, bring Illyriad back down to earth (pun) with a bump.  We can start returning Illyriad to the direct one player one account strategy game that we all want....

...but do the Devs have the integrity to do this across the board applying the rule in a uniform way???? 

Edited by Aneirin - 02 Aug 2011 at 11:43
LauraChristine View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 13:11
Cake
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 16:17
Suggestions:
1. Link or merge forum accounts to game accounts (the current separation is just a technicality of two different login systems), then users will have reputation to consider.
2. Require users to link their accounts as belonging to the same real person, and make this part of ToS. Game rules to prevent in-game exploits are enforcible, corruptive meta-gaming isn't so easy if these links are available for inspection, and anyone found failing to declare links can face GM-Banhammer consequences.

It's unfortunate that we're thinking about ways to tackle troll/cheat problems, as it indicates that trust alone isn't enough in all cases.
Celebcalen View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 14:34
IF YOU GOTTA A PROBLEM WIV TROLLS LOOK NO FURVER

Just call 'Arry. He seen off that tossed piece of lettuce Aneirin and LH not once but twice and ....AND last time he got the girl into the bargain

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/denmark_topic2460_page2.html

Originally posted by LauraChristine LauraChristine wrote:

I think I love you just a little bit Harry lol

PHOOAARR! GO ON MY SON!

Nilock View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 06:52
Would people who raid players that had there protection end count as trolls?
cuz i really hate noob hunters.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 07:42
Originally posted by Nilock Nilock wrote:

Would people who raid players that had there protection end count as trolls?
cuz i really hate noob hunters.

In my opinion, generally no.

A troll is someone who has no intention of interacting with the game, but only of causing trouble.  (From wikipedia: an internet term for a person who, through willful action, attempts to disrupt a community or garner attention and controversy through provocative messages)

Raiding new players is a valid way of interacting with game mechanics, albeit one I think may be counterproductive to the growth of Illyriad because it may discourage new players from continuing with the game.  I also think it is legitimate to use game mechanics to inhibit other people's ability to attack players who cannot defend themselves, if one so chooses, both by providing education and resources to the new players themselves and by more direct intervention, depending on the situation.

It might be possible to be a troll by attacking new player in hopes of garnering attention and controversy.  In that case, a player who is attacking players just out of protection, or for example randomly sieging smaller players and boasting of these attacks to provoke a confrontation, could be seen as acting trollishly.

However, in my opinion, all uses of legitimate game mechanics should be given the benefit of doubt with regard to motivation; the line between metagaming and pure trollery is a very fine one.  Therefore, although I might have private thoughts about particular behaviors being engaged in primarily to garner attention and create controversy rather than for legitimate game purposes, I try to remember that my judgments are influenced by my own biases and life experiences.

In particular, I try to keep in mind the fundamental attribution error, which is "tendency to over-value dispositional or personality-based explanations for the observed behaviors of others while under-valuing situational explanations for those behaviors." (Also wikipedia, although it corresponds to what I recall from my social psych texts.)  In other words, one's own experience of one's motivation might be that one was provoked to take a particular action, or that it was legitimate based on the game context, while another person might attribute the same action to a desire to start trouble or create controversy.

Edited by Rill - 27 Dec 2011 at 08:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic