Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for new players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 01:42
I'll take your word for it, as I haven't done the math and having completed the GRE, don't intend to be doing any math for a good long time.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 05:55
Rill, you can not live without math.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 18:43
watch me try Wink
Eryn View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 20:54
I'm trying to find more info on the Mysteries. I've almost completed the Ancestral Statues one for both my cities and would like to start another one. I know the names of the other ones but that is about all I can find out. 
Cuddlefuzz View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuddlefuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 15:11
A tip I picked up in GC on resource harvesting: below the world map you can disable terrain features, making it much easier to see the resources.  I'm finding harvesting to be particularly helpful early on so it might be worth adding to the guide.
gwrach View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 21:56
thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to put this guide together it has been extreemly helpful already and 3 days in sure i will be popping back to look for weeks yet.
Manannan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 21:44
I said this in GC a few days back but put it here as well. Another update to this guide will be coming soon(tm). 

If anyone can think of things that need adding such as new FAQs, or any points that need clarifying in the guide at the moment please message me in game only. 

Parts that will be added already will include more links to the other guides, information on the new buildings such as the architects office and of course an update of the paragraph saying TD had left the game as he has now obviously returned. Please don't message me saying to add these things unless you like abusive messages back!

Doesn't look good... doesn't look bad either!

"Manananananananananan, so long Sir, and thanks for all the fish." ~ St.Jude
Yso Sris View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yso Sris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 16:24
I would add to never use 'daily gift' for anything but the prestige point unless you buy hella prest, it adds up and is worth much more than resources which can be produced gathered and begged.
-Molg
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 00:37
A lot of new players ask which buildings they should include in a first city, since there are so many you can't include them all.  Here are my thoughts from another thread on this subject:

There isn't a general guide to which buildings are useful, so far as I know.  However, new players are advised to avoid most buildings requiring upkeep in resources other than food, sometimes referred to as "tier 2" buildings.  These buildings consume resources but provide benefits that are not needed until you're more advanced, such as reduction in upkeep cost for military and diplomatic units (which you won't have many of) or reduced cost for sovereignty.  In the beginning, you need the basic resources those buildings will consume to construct other buildings.

There are seven basic buildings that every city needs: storehouse (and later warehouse),librarymage towermarketplaceconsulate and barracks.  You will upgrade all of these buildings to level 20 with the possible exception of the storehouse, which only needs to be upgraded to level 15 in order to unlock inventory management and permit construction of the warehouse.

All cities come with a paddock and common ground in place; these should be upgraded to level 1 within the first week of play.  Common ground should eventually be upgraded to level 20 in all cities; paddock should be upgraded to level 20 in most cities, unless population is a constraint.

Almost everything in the "city" portion of the research tree is worth building with the possible exception of the siege workshop.  The vault can be built to a low level per recommendations in the basic self defense guide, then demolished when no longer needed.  The kiln is not needed in most cities and can be deferred until a city specialization is decided.  Flourmill is a must in the long term.  
You must build the stonemason to unlock defensive structures (lev 1 stonemason) so you can build a wall and it might be a good idea to upgrade it to level 5 and study Siege Construction, just so you have the option to build a siege workshop if you want one later.

You should build a carpentry to level 5 in order to study Fletching and build a fletcher; this may not be required in some specialized cities but is wise for all in a first city.  You must build afoundry and upgrade to level 5 and study Smithing in order to build a blacksmith; probably every city will need a blacksmith.  All humans and most other non-elves will want to upgrade the blacksmith to level 10, study Forging and build a forge.  Elves do not use plate and as such don't need a forge, although it can be used to make good for trade.

All first cities will need a tannery and a saddlemaker to produce leather armor and saddles, respectively.  These buildings may be omitted in later cities because it is difficult to keep up with production of both armor and saddles given the limitations of the common ground.

Players building their first cities will also want a spearmakerbrewery and tavern.  These do not need to be upgraded past level 1 (lev 2 for the tavern) until the city is fairly mature.

bookbinder is useful to have in a first city, enabling one to build a few books if one has been hit by thieves and needs to reset a rune, for example, or produce books needed for diplomats.  The library should be upgraded to at least level 10 before building a bookbinder; you will need all the research points to do basic research before then.

Altogether that adds up to 19-21 buildings that are must-build for a new city.  This gives you some space to experiment with city specialization; some of the buildings may be demolished as your city matures.

Edited to add:  Architects Office is highly recommended for new cities; it can be built in a first city as soon as resource production is adequate to support a building program, at around 100-300 production of each resource per hour.  It can be demolished when other buildings in the city are complete and replaced with another tier 2 building.

Edited again:  With the option to harvest more resources from the world map, new players might want to build one or more cottages to house cotters.  Information about how to use cotters to gather hides, basic herbs, basic minerals and grapes for sale or later use can be found in this guide: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/gathering-the-basics_topic3951.html

Edited by Rill - 12 Aug 2012 at 07:29
Frostone View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frostone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 17:47
You are really kind posting all those information!
I find them really helpful and i have to say this game is really really hard to master!
Alan Shore:
Friends with benefits?
-Girl runs away in fear-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic