Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for new players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
STAR View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 00:51
Stop Hating Aneirin, Dude left and during that time Manan with the aid of others kept Dudes guide going by adding to it.

Yes Dude is the original author of this guide, but alterations to this guide was made by Manan, and just like Dude, deserves the recognition for his input as well.

Without Manan to keep this guide going, the new players who had joined after Dudes leaving, would not have had this guide to help them!

Trask View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 10:41
Regarding point 5):

you advise to level up one resource producing building of each kind to lvl 7 before attempting to level up the rest of them. This is advantageous to players who are supported from outside with resource deliveries, as they can unlock advanced technologies faster that way.

But if you are self-reliant, it actually does not make a lot of sense. It is more resource effective and faster to level up all resource producing buildings simultaneously and ignore other buildings, which will give you a sustainable resource production after a few days to develop the city in the way you like and rapidly enhance research production etc.

Technical explanation: each level of resource producing buildings has further diminishing returns. lvl 3 gives you +2 production in return for 16 resources of each type required for lvl up. lvl 4 gives reduces that to +2 for 20 (I think).

So your resource production will grow faster (if no resources are injected from outside), if you first level up everything to lvl 1, then to lvl 2, etc.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 17:20
Originally posted by Trask Trask wrote:

Regarding point 5):

you advise to level up one resource producing building of each kind to lvl 7 before attempting to level up the rest of them. This is advantageous to players who are supported from outside with resource deliveries, as they can unlock advanced technologies faster that way.

But if you are self-reliant, it actually does not make a lot of sense. It is more resource effective and faster to level up all resource producing buildings simultaneously and ignore other buildings, which will give you a sustainable resource production after a few days to develop the city in the way you like and rapidly enhance research production etc.

Technical explanation: each level of resource producing buildings has further diminishing returns. lvl 3 gives you +2 production in return for 16 resources of each type required for lvl up. lvl 4 gives reduces that to +2 for 20 (I think).

So your resource production will grow faster (if no resources are injected from outside), if you first level up everything to lvl 1, then to lvl 2, etc.

+1
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 20:52
I think the suggestion to level 1 of each up to level 7 is based on the fact that level 7 unlocks further city researches that in turn unlock secondary buildings.  

I think leveling up one resource faster than others is still valid when building with relatively little help from outside sources.  What I did in building Ryelle with minimal outside contributions was level one of each resource to lev 7 in combination with leveling the storehouse to lev 7.  Then I leveled one of each resource to lev 17.  Past about lev 2 or 3, it makes more sense to concentrate on one of each resource, and more so beyond about level 12.

I built Ryelle to be mostly resource production and she is thus relatively slow-growing in terms of population, which might not be attractive to all or even most new players.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 21:31
You don't need those city techs unlocked for the secondary building.  If your busy leveling up your resource plots to level seven you shouldn't be  getting your way to a blacksmith etc. 

Besides with a 200-500 per hour income, the secondary buildings that offer resource bonuses do not give much due to the low income.

Trask View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 09:49
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I think the suggestion to level 1 of each up to level 7 is based on the fact that level 7 unlocks further city researches that in turn unlock secondary buildings.  

I think leveling up one resource faster than others is still valid when building with relatively little help from outside sources.  What I did in building Ryelle with minimal outside contributions was level one of each resource to lev 7 in combination with leveling the storehouse to lev 7.  Then I leveled one of each resource to lev 17.  Past about lev 2 or 3, it makes more sense to concentrate on one of each resource, and more so beyond about level 12.

I built Ryelle to be mostly resource production and she is thus relatively slow-growing in terms of population, which might not be attractive to all or even most new players.

Let me put it this way: If you invest 20,000 resources of each type into either levelling up a) one resource producing building of each type, or b) all of them simultaneously, variant b) will give you the higher production rate / h in the end (considerably higher).

If you do this without help from outside, you will also have finished faster, as - again - your production of resources is greater in b) than in a) on every stage.

For "lone wolf" players, unlocking advanced technologies is not a priority, because they won't have the resource income to build the necessary secondary buildings anyway. Yes, you will be able to level up to lvl 7, but then you will have loooong periods waiting for enough resources to be produced to build your secondary buildings. It gets worse if you invest resources to increase your research production - and without an increased research production, you won't be able to research all these shiny new technologies anyway.

Of course this all does not apply if you have unlimited resource injection from outside. In that case, I would recommend as well levelling up and increasing research production as fast as possible.
Trask View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 18:35
Ok, I made some advanced calculations (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfN68IYo2P3dERzU0ZKMEZDci1LQ2NuVHJMUnJGMHc&hl=en_GB)

The gist is that the lower the level if the building, the higher the "bang for buck" factor. By orders of magnitude.

Also, there is no "excess" production; a building always produces fewer resources during the levelling up time then it needs to gain the next level. That means every investment in secondary buildings slows down the time to reach the desired level of resource production considerably.

In total, you need 566,534 resources of each type to level one building from 0 to 20 and more than 362 hours (a good 15 days).
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 18:42
What I do is get one plot to Lvl 7, then another, then another, untill all my plots are Lvl 7. Then I upgrade evenly.
This is so I can get Adv Res Buildings
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 19:31
The point here is

A- that method doesn't bring in more resources in a set time period then the upgrade evenly method and
B- as a newbie the adv resource buildings wont be used, your resources are need for upgrading your resources, there's no need to get those buildings right away.

Trask View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 19:47
It really depends on your situation and what you want to achieve.

If you have a ready supply of resources, and need those advanced buildings, then by all means just go for a lvl 7 building.

But if you have in any way limited resources it is better to go with even level up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic