Topic ClosedNew players tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
(EOM) Harry View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New players tournament
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:37
As we have all seen a recent influx of players who will stick around im Illyriad (hopefully) a great way to welcome these players is with the:

1st annual New players tournament!

The "Newbie Tournie" or "NT" could consist of players between 50-500 pop approx.

These players would have to compete in a series of challenges that the Gms or Mods could issue into the game. ( King of the hill, but theres only one flag, Gather the most resources, Steal the most resources, must scout the most NPC'S etc.) At the end of the tourney all of these new players who competed would recieve a small prize to help them retain any losses or improve their towns futher.

The winner/winners then could win a large amount of gold or prestige (possible idea of free upgrading without using prestige to any building of their choice that is then maxed out?)

Then whilst these youngens are scrapping it out. Us older players can place bets on who we think is going to win/place where. A leaderboard cosisting of odds and placements so far could then be set up which then can be looked at to place bets off I.E player x is in third place with odds of 1/4. People can then bet on a player with gold and have a return of that gold plus the winnings  if what they bet came through at the end.

Note:Maybe even possible leaderboard and prize for the person who made the biggest winning through out the Newbie tournament.

Sponsors: The new player can if they wish pick a sponsor to help provide gold,ress,adv.ress to that player to give him an edge. This sponsor will not be alowed to take part in the betting but can win a seperate prize for being "The nicest person" award or just an award for sponsorship. With Gold adv.ress or prestige...

Note: there would have to be some restrictions on what a sponsor can do to give the player an edge (We don't want Kumo or HM just giving 20 million to a player of 100 pop just because their sponsoring him, that would be a little to unfair :P ;) )

Please Gms Mods and players of illy feedback would be good and a decent discussion would be nice here aswell.

Thankyou
(EOM) Harry
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.
Aureaus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:42
fantastic idea. got my support mate. It would be a good way to keep newbies in game, etc. me. Hope it gets through, mate.
Othenan View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:50
I too support Harry's idea! Though I am motivated to reach a pro level ASAP to play the game like the vets, a tournament will definitely boost my spirits, not to mention the fame I could get;)
Rsk31 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:06
Gr8 idea .... totally support it .... it'd make the game more interesting and fun ...
:)
photojoe View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 17:11
What about breaking up the current tournaments into divisions? Div A: The top 10% of players by population. Div B: The next 20%. C: The next 30%, and D: The remainder of the player base.

Prizes go to the winner of each division plus an overall winner.

Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 18:25
I support this idea.

Illyriad is very "alienating" in the first 6 months because your options are so limited and others so much more capable. A tournament in the basic disciplines that new players are anyways required to aquaint themselves with at some point: Warfare, Diplomacy, Factions and so on. It would be a great harmless training excercise that would also be motivating for new players to get to know each other and not only "the hand that feeds them".

Also think that having more than one league would be preferable.

Thumbs Up

Edited by Tordenkaffen - 03 May 2011 at 18:26
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 18:49
Thumbs up from me Thumbs Up
But Tord....
"It would be a great HARMLESS excercise."
Need I say more?
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 03:40
Harry's suggestion is brilliant. It will liven the game up for newcomers and give everyone else the chance to recognise and accept new talent when they see it.
ellisande View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 03:56
Originally posted by photojoe photojoe wrote:

What about breaking up the current tournaments into divisions? Div A: The top 10% of players by population. Div B: The next 20%. C: The next 30%, and D: The remainder of the player base.

Prizes go to the winner of each division plus an overall winner.

I rather like this idea. I'm not a newbie (in the under 500 pop sense) but I know that I and my alliance can't really compete against the "big guys". However, we want to compete and it would be nice to get a reward if you make a good showing. Right now, we're stepping up because I set a goal for the alliance -- but a real reward would be awesome if we were competing against similar sized players and/or alliances. 

kicking5251 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 04:48
this is a really really good idea!!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic