Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKing's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 11:53
Clap

Congrats to those that bawawawed so hard the GMs felt moved to make a public statement revealing your competitors tactics.

edit: Although I see that those that were bawawawawwwwing had no problem with hijacking the same tactic to use in retaliation themselves before sending their petitions complaining of exploits.

Edited by Createure - 02 May 2011 at 12:01
Fateful Ending View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 12:22
LOL, i haven't even heard about that tactic yet, and as far as i now no-one's used it on us yet. (us being T?) 

Disclaimer: It might of been used on us, but if it has i haven't heard of it, and it is possible i haven;t heard of it because i am not the go to person on anything Big smile

Edited by Fateful Ending - 02 May 2011 at 12:31
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 16:30
Think of it as a much more peaceful and considerate alternative to sending assassins. Tongue

I know that some people are upset that this tactic has been employed, and Harmless would like to publicly respond.  We have done so here:  http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic1852_post19176.html#19176

bow locks View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 20:24
lol at SC and HM - maths was one of my subjects at university, so i know exactly what you are talking about, however that never stopped anyone from abusing statistics!
_duQ View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:07
Yeah, sure it's clever, so clever that H? hasn't been able to catch up on VALAR at all.

However, participants to the next tournament let me describe your daily activities:
  • Spot competitor's legion and camp sites
  • Send hundreds even thousands of scouts one by one, yes because clever tactics are always based on numbers, the more you send the better
What if you don't want to play like that?
You loose!

So because 1 or several players like to spoil their day sending scouts 1 by 1 and because, I quote, "this is not an exploit", either you don't participate or you spent 1 month sending tons of scouts every 6hrs.

Yes but it's Ok it's only during tournament. Well... thinking of it, not exactly. Remember, anyone except noobs can use that tactic.
They are surely clever people here that are going to do that for the fun of ruining other players game. Others may just want to limit enemy capabilities to train their commanders. Moreover, I've heard rumors of the tournament mechanics used in trade 2.0.

So, at least, the only positive point is that it is super coherent with the game world, that scouts sent 3 days away hypnotize NPCs to stay at its position. I suggest that we extend that system to player's armies, if I scout you, your armies can't move, so I can destroy you.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 14:58
Originally posted by _duQ _duQ wrote:

Yeah, sure it's clever, so clever that H? hasn't been able to catch up on VALAR at all.

I believe no one in H? ever said the tactic was "clever". That is all VALAR. In H? for us, the tactic was just trying something different because we could see VALAR was going to win already if we did nothing.

And I think this tactic has almost completely stopped now that both sides have seen that it wasn't going to affect the overall result too much anyways, because it takes alot of time. I think there is not much to fear with this tactic being used alot after the tournament too... because, again, it takes ALOT of time to use effectively.

I think there is another thread for discussing this though.

EDIT: less than 24 hours of tournament left

Who's going for a sprint finish?

Edited by Createure - 10 May 2011 at 17:11
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 01:30
With the conclusion of the tournament imminent I'd like to be the first to congratulate VALAR on an EXTRA-ordinary effort in their Victory.

On behalf of Harmless? we applaud you and sincerely admire your dedication and congratulate you in being the new current tournament holders. Bravo.

I'd like to extend those compliments to Boromir on his ridiculously outstanding victory. Well done, amazing effort.  Sincerest congratulations.

I'd like to publicly thank ALL Harmless? members. Once again your participation was outstanding and Im very proud to be a member of the team. Brilliant effort guys n' girls, you should all be very proud as once again you've batted WELL above your weight.

To the Dev team: Outstanding on this one. You could've easily rested on laurels and re-run the last. Kudos on the unique concept and different dynamic. This has kept everyone enthused and personally, enjoyed the whole episode. Im sure and I hope that transpired into a few more shekels in the coffers. Keep it coming.

L.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 12:24
The tournament has now closed, and all specimens have been collected from everyone's towns.

Items in transit (but undelivered to their town) at midday today have crumbled to dust.

NPC animals have ceased to drop anatomical parts, but continue to drop Gold as before.

We'll tot up the totals for everyone and make an official prize post when we're ready.

Thanks to everyone who participated, and many congratulations to the winners.

Regards,

SC
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 14:46
LAST BALL OF THE OVER

Roger of Hoveden an English chronicler who was employed by King Henry II, described tournaments as "military exercises carried out, not in the spirit of hostility but solely for practice and the display of prowess".

Did the GM's get it right when they decided, half way through the tournament, that the use of diplomats by one party to pin NPC spawn points of an opponent was " a clever ingame mechanic" open to anyone.

It seems to me that spiking an opponents spawn point is almost the same as

1. tampering with an opponents tennis racket or;
2. drugging a race horse or;
3. ball tampering in cricket to benefit swing bowlers etc

All of these practises have been used but have any of them been condoned.

This was a Tournament in fact it was billed as a Royal tournament or the Kings Tournament implying that there was an air of legitimacy surrounding the whole affair and half way through the event we are presented with a decsion that applauds  a "sneaky tactic". This is a dodgy precedent, nay a well dodgy precedent, which could mean that other Tournaments will just descend into the outright hostility which tournaments purported to avoid (see quote above.)

I contend that there is no place for metagaming in tournaments and as a loyal subject of King Sigurd I am outraged that this type of sharp malpractise can be condoned in Tournament that bears His Royal Highneesses name!!!!

More corrrectly I am worried that this precedent devalues the holding of Tournaments. Less and less players may particpate in future if decisions like this continue.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 15:59
Maybe it's just me, but does Aneirin sound like Lionz Heartz?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic