FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed07MAR11 - Diplomatic Unit Data & Changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 03:22
King, the Current Stats are at the opening post.  The OLD stats are at IllyWiki still.

Edited by The_Dude - 12 Mar 2011 at 03:24
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 15:25
Yet again... Elves and Humans get the best perks. Orcs (and also dwarves to an extent) get the proverbial piled onto them.

In late game, at the moment, saboteurs are 100% useless. What's the point in being able to extend construction/research ques once a city has stopped building any new constructions and finished the tech tree anyways? So there the Orc special diplo unit is a complete waste.

On the other hand. Humans get strong Assassins, the most important diplo unit in my opinion. And totally vital unit in seige situations, that can completely change the outcome of a close fought battle/war. They ALSO get strong spies as an additional perk. Though spies are not an essential diplo unit, they still have uses for advanced players which is why I rank them third equal with thieves in terms of usefulness.

Elves again get the fastest units by a wide margin, as expected, and as big a perk as ever... and when you combine this with them getting the strongest scouts (the second most important diplo unit) the elf diplo perks come in at a close second.

And dwarves get left with good thieves. Sure, thieves are fun to play with I won't deny, but they don't effect the outcome of wars between guilds at all. Any player can shift valuable resources away from a city targetted by thieves to another city of theirs or a friend within seconds. And when you combine that with the slowness of the dwarven theives you're left with a diplo unit that can only cause a faint irritation to an enemy at best.

So yes, I will keep my old opinion: That any new player who doesn't start as elf or human is putting themselves at a large disadvantage before they've even started playing.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 20:04
I do think sabos should be able to affect buildings already constructed, with certain types of building more vulnerable/likely to be targeted than others (storehouses and libraries, for example).

Influence like that would recover some of diplomacy's missing relevance.

And of course the whole "all-or-nothing" attack coupled with pristinely secure defense has always been rather unfortunate.  I believe that alone is the primary factor driving diplomacy into irrelevance/non-usefulness.
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 22:16
I have another great idea!  The consulate would allow me to build both offensive and defensive diplomatic units, but not one that is both.  A new research chain would be developed in order to make our 007's as good or as bad as we want.  They would be upgradeable as the military commanders are.  This one's free, I hereby give up all claims to copyright.
I am a Machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic