FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 100,000 population club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 08:58
Yeah...those of us who rushed our way to 5 cities before sovereignty came out are a little screwed.  Sure, we could have chosen 7-food squares from the beginning, but there aren't that many, they weren't well placed, and in my opinion, 7/3 is too imbalanced a spread.  (6/4 still allows max pop and a productive city without constant resource shipping).

I look forward to the hinted future ability to terraform our cities.  +2 food for -1 clay and -1 stone would be worth any in-game price.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 13:54
HM - be careful saying things like "any in-game price."  :)
scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 15:21
The best way to max a town is look for a a 7 food tile that is within a tile or two of a massive food bonus spawn point  (or two such places is even better) and there should also be a few other food bonus tiles close by. Start the town on the 7 tile and then max out all the internal farm and build sov 5 farms on all the dolmens and bonus  food tiles, this should give you enough food to easily max the town (with time or prestige!)

scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 15:22
But, there will be a trade off, larger towns have smaller armies!
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

and in my opinion, 7/3 is too imbalanced a spread.  (6/4 still allows max pop and a productive city without constant resource shipping).

As a dwarf, my capital only gets 3 iron spots. 3 maxed out iron spots is currently bringing in 9212 resources per hour. Now sure, iron might eventually run a little low in my capital but over all, that's enough. Now the 7/3 food spots (or at least the one I'm sitting on) is 3 clay. Who seriously needs more than 9212 clay per hour? Oh, you'd have more actually, since you'd have kiln maxed out as well.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 21:16
My 7/3 split cities are woefully under-capable in the sovereignty department.  Istan gains 63 wood per hour with a maxed out carpentry, leaving no income for even keeping equipment queues up, let alone extending population.  Were it not for the limits imposed by research income, I would run Istan into the ground for population and troops alone in my quest for city # 10.

...that is, of course with sovereignty used for something besides food and wood.  It was never my intent, after all, to be some kind of immortal Illyriad retiree, relegated to Sim City-like existence.  One thing I'm very tired of is trading resources with myself.

Edited by HonoredMule - 08 Apr 2011 at 21:17
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 22:12

HM, you can have the city sieged so you can resettle on a better tile.  That's a tough call, though.  But you know all this.

Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 03:01
Indeed I do. Dead  If I were going that route, I'd have to siege most of my cities, which--aside from the struggle of achieving city #10--are well-designed for economic and military output.  And while I can't plan around speculative updates, it would be a colossal waste if something like naval features rendered my sacrifice moot.

So for me, it's staid and steady to finish the course.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 03:24
Ah...I think this is part of the design of Illy, tho.  Choices.  Trade-offs.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 06:10
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

My 7/3 split cities are woefully under-capable in the sovereignty department.  Istan gains 63 wood per hour with a maxed out carpentry, leaving no income for even keeping equipment queues up, let alone extending population.  Were it not for the limits imposed by research income, I would run Istan into the ground for population and troops alone in my quest for city # 10.

...that is, of course with sovereignty used for something besides food and wood.  It was never my intent, after all, to be some kind of immortal Illyriad retiree, relegated to Sim City-like existence.  One thing I'm very tired of is trading resources with myself.

63 wood? That's just...well, terrible. You must have some maxed out sov spots though? Either that or like 50 sov spots.

I'm willing to bet eventually obtaining 10 cities will be easier. It seems impractical for the GMs to have a feature that is nearly unobtainable. Plus there's been mention of possibly fishing for food with the introduction of boats so perhaps that will make it easier to achieve.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic