Topic ClosedNew Players & Territorialism after the "Move"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 15:43
I see two problems here:

1) TMM failed to advertise their desire to claim the region (perhaps because they were afraid someone might want to thwart them).  This means that some players have used their teleport spell to move to a new region but have then found themselves directly in the firing line and now have no way to escape short of being exterminated and starting again.

2) The region in question is (as Starry says) in an area where new players will be popping up frequently.  It seems as though those new players will be immediately given ultimatums - "join us or die". 

While that is, of course, a legitimate playing style and I definitely see the fun and desire behind wanting to 'own' an entire region - being unfriendly to noobs is not a great way to make friends in this game especially with several power blocs expressly interested in protecting new players....
Zangi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 15:57
Short Version:
1) Being a very territorial alliance, you unwittingly claimed and settled newbie spawn territory. 

2)There may be a problem with that down the line if you insist on enforcing that claim against new players.

Edited by Zangi - 27 Oct 2010 at 15:59
CranK View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Perhaps, as mobility increases, there can be parts of the map (like Middle Kingdom) that are actually designated as newbie-protected territories.  Then all new players could be seeded there with the option to move when ready.

This is a really good idea. Altho I hate the fact that such a idea even needs to be concidered...

Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 16:58
I agree Crank, new players should not be driven out of this game.   As hard as the Devs are working to keep this game interesting, perhaps it is time the players take a stand on this issue. 

Btw, I did receive a reply from Nige regarding his claim to that area and his stance on attacking new players (including T members):

Sent By:    Nige
Received By:    Starry
Sent:    27OCT10 11:28
Subject:    Re: Re: Goodwill
firstly, we try to view this game realistically. The inventors have presented us with a world map with the opportunity to possess our own countries. To have a country of our own is the spirit of Illyriad.

Secondly, tis nothing about bullying. We dont care how big or small invaders are. We want our own land. So do not say we are bullies.

Thirdly, we do not attack anyone without warning. Impqwerty decided just to ignore us.

Fourthly, why do you have to spread your own version of the truth around the game. Many people have opinions about us based on rumours and nonsense. If you want to spread gossip about us then at least suggest to your friends that they should hear our side as well.

All we have said is that we respect your territory and want others to respect ours. But at the end of the day it is a game. Why people get so upset.

I expected more from you Starry.

Obivously, this guy does not know me, I've always taken a stand to help new players, as have others in this game.

My reply:

Quote Nige,

At no time did you inform other alliances of your intent to claim that entire area. Toothless is a top ten alliance, our staff moved to that area to help new players, we were never informed of your plans.   It is unacceptable and unreasonable to claim an entire province without notification to other alliances and as such we will not recognize your claim on the entire province. 

So you admit you threatened one of our members, then attacked him because he didn't move.  As I told you earlier, he was in the process of trying to find a new location, your threat rattled him so he wrote to me.   You didn't have the courtesy to contact me first, you made your threats and then attacked.

You are bullies and short sighted bullies at that, new players insure the continuation of the game, however, in your arrogance to claim an entire area, you will drive new players from this game.  Your justification doesn't hold water, claiming territorial sovereignty and war against anyone in that area is arrogant and hostile.  You have one stance, join us or die. At least have the courage to admit what you are.  The option to move was given to all players, our members created a hub in that area to help the many new players in that area, we will continue to do so. That province is heavily seeded with new players and you have made your position clear, they will be eliminated from the game if they do not join your alliance.   This is unacceptable.  Most alliances have claimed areas not entire provinces; they also support and aid new players.      

Let me make our position very clear, Toothless is a peaceful training alliance dedicated to helping new players, that said, we protect our members.   Do not attack any of our members (current and future).  

I trust you will understand our position on this issue.

Starry

I sincerely hope Nige changes his stance on this issue.   

For the record, many people have suggested we start a second new player alliance (T2), while I have resisted the suggestion, it may be the only hope for some new players to continue in this game.   I urge all alliances to accept and nurture new players, not only are they the future of this game but they will enhance your alliance.
Zangi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 17:10
The problem is, finding another leader with your sort of dedication/ideology to the 'job' at hand...
Another problem I figure is the alliance chat...  it'll be empty for the new alliance for awhile... without the same people the player is accustomed/inclined to speak with...
Everything else can be put into place along the lines of protection and what-not....

And there are definitely a number of smaller alliances willing to take in newbs, but more on a I want to keep this player slant.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 17:19
Please message me ingame if you are willing to take on new players, there are more than we can handle and T2 will fill up quickly if our messages are any indication.     I would be happy to refer new players to any alliance that will help them learn the game and get built up.   At least let's give them a chance to learn the game. 

Sheogorath View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 20:40
I Agree With You Starry,While My Is Heavily Focused In The Reigion Of Frenmor And We Treat It As our Area,I would Allow Other Player To Live And Prosper.Who Knows,The Person You Bullied Could Have Been Your Greatest Ally.Furthermor If A newb is In Your Area,Why Not Be Kind and Help thim out,Not Bully Them For Taking Up one square In your "Territory".Like I said Before,The Could Be Your Greatest Ally
=Colonialism At Its Finest=
Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 21:53
We may disagree on the way we percieve Illyriad, but the introduction of player-made kingdoms/realms strike me as perfectly natural. Obviously I dont condone claiming the central areas where new players spawn - which is why, as Sheo mentions above we have chose to populate the outskirt area of Fremorn.
I do not however take the newbie side of this discussion in all cases. If you do not wish to move you have to be diplomatic about it. I would myself never attack a player unless I deemed that he in some way posed a threat to me or infringed on a trade monopoly (which is not a factor untill crafting enters the game), but I understand how players who ignore all communication and warnings can piss off players who have worked long and hard to realise what they believe a natural part of the game, and try to avoid needless treading on others.
I myself would approve of more Illyriad named alliances eg. Kingdom of Keshalia, Chiefdom of the northern wastes, Duchy of Zanpur and less "Harmless?" "Toothless?" etc. It makes the world seem far more thought through and strengthen any idea of Illyriad having a history/storyline in common. I realise I may be alone with this perspective but nevertheless, thats how I feel. Why else would the developers go to such lengths writing elaborate backgrounds for the respective factions?
I would in the case above say that strong players should rather seek away from the central areas and seek out the challenges in the outskirts, if nothing else to make the central areas less crowded.

Hope issues like this can be resolved in a proper fashion, after all the map is huge and most of it is nowhere near populated yet.
KarL Aegis View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 22:24
I think I might know someone who would help the newbies. Someone who is still with us.
I am not amused.
some random guy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 01:49
who?
Soon, very soon, my name will become synonymous with chicken alfredo.... mmm.... chicken alfredo....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic