Topic ClosedNew Players & Territorialism after the "Move"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Players & Territorialism after the "Move"
    Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 23:18

I'm seeing a disturbing trend in Illyriad these days as a consequence of the ability to move.  Attacks are up on new players because they either have the misfortune of being placed in the wrong territory (areas claimed by alliances) or they've moved unknowingly into an alliance area.    As a consequence, some alliances have taken the stance that anyone in their area needs to move or they will be eliminated.     It doesn't matter if the new player is peaceful, it doesn't matter that they are defenseless.  

Case in point, one of my new members messaged me that he was receiving threats from an alliance.  He had been given an ultimatum to move or be attacked.   For the record, he did plan to move but was not sure of the location.    Before I could get the details, I received this message:

Sent By:               Nige

Received By:      Starry

Sent:     26OCT10 16:22

Subject:               Goodwill

Greetings from the Mal motshans.

We send respect and good will wishes to you and your alliance. We desire nothing more than peace with you and all honourable players.

We believe it is honourable to claim our own territory as defined by the world map. We claim all land in Mal Motsha as our own.

We will not trespass outside our land. We believe this is an honourable stance.

If you have members of your alliance that refuse to leave Mal Motsha they will be treated as hostile invaders.

We do not seek war with you. I hope this clarifies our position and our desire for our own homeland is respected.

Impqwerty must leave.

Respect and goodwill.

Before I could respond to the message, our new member (pop 134) was under attack by AVa64 (score:  3336919).  

There is no honor in bullying new players, there is no goodwill when an alliance attacks before they receive a reply from the alliance leader.     Expecting my members to move is ridiculous and arrogant.   These are new players (or staff that helps new players), we have always been and will continue to be a peaceful training alliance.

My point is that there is a growing trend of intolerance toward any new player who has the misfortune of being in an alliance area.    Frankly, claiming an entire province is ridiculous in my mind but there are those arrogant to think they can get away with it.   Instead of being tolerant toward new players why are they are driven from this game?    It's nothing short of being a bully and a short-sighted one at that.   We've all been in games that stagnated due to the lack of new players.   The Devs are working hard to keep this game fresh and challenging, new players will guarantee the continuation of this game.   It does not mean exclusivity to existing players; driving new players out of this game will only shorten its lifespan.

I’m asking the players of Illyriad to be tolerant of new players, you might just find new member to your alliance or an ally down the road.     New players are not a threat to your alliance and while I know you may have to adjust your moving plans, there is plenty of space for all of us to play this game.   

One note and question to Nige:   You are in an area loaded with new players, while many may not be active, does this mean you are going to siege every new player in that region?   Inquiring minds want to do know......

Zangi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 23:56
Wow, that is ALOT of warning time. /sarcasm
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 00:13
i can claim all newbies near me? u know i wouldnt kill em right away..... XD jk nah new people should be tolerated they cant help where they start so yea live and let live?
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 02:02

I think that Starry's good will is worth quite a lot, Nige... Hell hath no fury as a Starry wronged...

Edited by Kumomoto - 27 Oct 2010 at 02:02
lep View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 02:43
Your clan mate is not the only one to have received these dishonourable attacks, one of my clan mates was stuck being constantly attacked and unable to move to us because of the 0 pop blocking bug.

Attacking all low level players just because of a general location in a province is just going to drive players away from the game and frankly is not "an honourable stance" in any way shape or form for any sane or reasonable person. New players are already stressed from not being able to farm inactive players any more and from being increased targets themselves because inactives don't supply resources any more so as an active newbie they get robbed.

Having said that however that new players are appearing adjacent to existing players is going to lead to problems. As many players are planning sovereign terrains and its totally unfair on the newbies to spawn so close as it is quite reasonable then for an established player to insist the newly spawned one moves away, there really should be no spawning closer than 3 terrains to an active player, preferably 5.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 03:12
Lep, you do have a valid point with new player placement.   I'm sure it's just the way the Devs have written the program for new player placement but I agree, it's dooming new players if they are put directly next to an established city.    It does seem to be happening more and more.   Perhaps the Devs could tweek the program so that it leaves more space between new and existing players. 

I'm sorry to hear about your clan mate, I fear there will be many more stories about new players being run out of the game.   It's my hope that alliances start taking a stand against this behavior.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 04:10
Perhaps, as mobility increases, there can be parts of the map (like Middle Kingdom) that are actually designated as newbie-protected territories.  Then all new players could be seeded there with the option to move when ready.
scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 04:25
As soon as the town moving spell and it's 10 square safe zone limitation is no longer an issue, this will die down for all but the most evil of alliances, I for one would feel obligated to assist any new players appearing in my "territory", whether they joined my alliance or not.
Jerec Cross View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 06:32
Perhaps there would be benefits in extending New Player Protection out a bit.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by Jerec Cross Jerec Cross wrote:

Perhaps there would be benefits in extending New Player Protection out a bit.

That is an excellent idea!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic