illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why I am Leaving Illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SirBradly View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirBradly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I am Leaving Illyriad
    Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 19:23

[Topic locked - This won't go beyond a flaming thread and there is nothing constructive going on]

I stumbled upon this game 9 years ago and quickly became hooked on the depth and complex political dynamics.  At this time we had only Elgea and a plethora of interesting alliances. Alliance leaders jostled and positioned themselves for their piece of power in the game.  

Global chat was hard to keep up with.  Over 1000 players present. The Illyriad forums were filled daily with interesting people and ideas.  It was not uncommon to check it several times a day to catch up on the happenings of the game.

The Devs were interacting on a constant basis with their players.  Dropping subtle hints of potential new updates. It was a very exciting time to be a player in this game.  

The sandbox concept was working brilliantly.  Prominent alliances enforced the “unwritten rules” of the game.  Big alliances were forbidden to war with smaller alliances, new players were welcomed and the community provided much assistance and protection.  Players who trolled the community were dealt with swiftly.

To further the sandbox concept the devs would occasionally provide interesting and meaningful updates and tournaments.  

To make my mark on the game I initially formed the Night Crusader alliance along with Myr and the Electrocutioner.  We were a team of less than 20 trying to prove to the game that we could roll with the big boys. As expected our unorthodox style of play was beginning to garner some attention to our group.  Some of it positive and much of it was negative. We created our niche in the game. We were blazing a trail and bringing PVP to the forefront.  

Our efforts resulted in many successful war wins and much in game drama.  The Night Crusaders were either loved or hated and our presence created alot of content for the sandbox game.  At the same time, the initial showings of the devs being tone deaf to their own game began to appear. Promises of updates being postponed.  Tournaments becoming very irregular and when they occured would be announced during major server wars.

During this time the devs announced “the Broken Lands”.  The initial sales pitch was nothing near what was delivered.  Classic example of over promise and under deliver. Nonetheless, after the Night Crusaders were wiped off the map in the Great War I teamed up with Malek to form the Hashashin (SIN).  Our concept was to be the premier war alliance in the BL.

We attracted some of the best players in Illyriad to SIN.  A cast of characters very passionate about the game. Our alliance basically carried the game for 2 to 3 years provide non stop content.  We were pioneers in new styles of PVP and did our best to inspire the game to embrace PVP. Players like Jejune led the charge on “land claims” which again changed how many alliances played the game.

Despite our numerous efforts to keep the game exciting the devs continued to fumble on weak updates.  Player interaction was becoming more and more rare. They began to rely on player driven tournaments or guides / blogs written by players.

Time was being dedicated to Age of Ascent (AoA) which they punted the launch date every year.  Players were beginning to feel like the game was never going to update or change. As a result year by year the player base has shrunk.  Interesting characters walked away frustrated by the lack of progress with the game.  

Now 9 years later we have the current state of Illyriad.  The other night I was online and there was only 200 players in GC.  Over 80% reduction in player base since the pinnacle of the game. The only dev interaction we get is weekly trivia for an hour.  

The last couple of “updates” have been total fails.  More crafted gear with complex ingredients and minimal bonuses.  Essentially no improvement in the game play experience. On dozens of occasions the player base has offered their ideas and assistance to help turn the game around.  Unfortunately the hubris of the devs has not allowed them to accept such help as they knowingly watch their game continue its death spiral.

I have made many good friends over the years.  This game attracts great people. I have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with both friends and foes.  

However, this week I witnessed something in this game I have never seen.  A good friend of mine, Fiona, was harassed in such a mean spirited way by another player.  This player has used private information about her to harass and abuse her publicly. This was, in my opinion, a gross violation of the ToS.  Many members of our alliance and community filed complaints. In the end, the devs chose to allow the aggressor to stay in game subjecting Fiona to more potential abuse.  She had no choice but to leave the game.

I can’t support this game anymore.  

Thank you to all the players in the game (past and present) that made this place fun to log onto everyday.  

Farewell,

SB/Stukahh

Edited by GM Cerberus - 02 Feb 2020 at 16:58
Grom View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 21:24
You had a good run. But this whole exit letter would ring more true if you were actually leaving. Whereas your mates largely abandoned, I see your account merely received a cosmetic makeover. So what then is the point of this charade? 
Queen Bikini View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Queen Bikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 00:56
What? You harassed the crap out of me. Saying such horrible things when Heavy died and other times. Now you and others leave over Fiona being harassed? Whatever SB. Whatever Fiona. Oh. Oh, this is soo very funny - - and sad, but mostly funny. Not so much fun at the receiving end of things is it Fiona?

QB
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 08:11
Have fun SB. Nice to get to know you. Wont forget the good times:)

PublicRelations
HumanResources
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:21
Was Brad the most innocent, mild mannered player in Illy? - You gotta be kiddin! Shocked 

Did he always respect the devs? LOL Pig

Was this the same Brad who used to routinely flame and bully newbes out of the game - You are darn right Ouch

Did he set up Night Crusaders? No Myr did. Clown

Has he any saving graces whatsoever?  One. He isn't as bad as Snagglepuss.Stern Smile

Did Brad get someone else to write his post for him? -  
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 16:14
Screen electrons are nothing to get upset over. Those poor bastards in Wuhan have far more to worry about than any online trolling.
Snagglepuss View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagglepuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 11:31
Seems like you are losing your audience there, Stuk old buddy... not quite as much fanfare when you run away?? I beat you at your own game, but I did love the sexual harassment allegations. You have ruined your own legacy. You must be so proud of yourself. And... you should have just let me be. Nice job leaving your mates holding your bag of trash, once again, as you leave them hanging... once again. Isn’t this time number 3? Or 4? I lost count. From now on , you can refer to me as “Big Snags, The Stukahh Killer” Have a good one
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Snagglepuss Snagglepuss wrote:

... but I did love the sexual harassment allegations...
What is this? Why hasn't it been acted on by the games Developers?
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:44
I withdraw my comments on the first post concerning Sir Bradly's post. The were irresponsible and immature and I apologise to Sir Bradly. I state this here because I have been prevented from editing  my posts.

Gimli son of Gloin.
zolvon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 06:25
AngryAngryAngryAngry Half of Illy's best gone just like thatDeadDeadDeadDead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic