illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Player Created Tournaments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Player Created Tournaments
    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 09:11
Non-API based Tournament System

One thing that I've noticed during my time in Illy is that all the tournaments (player or dev run) are based around alliances. This excludes those who either choose not to join an alliance or are new to the game and still trying to decide which one to join. It also means that if an alliance wants to run an 'inhouse' tournament that they need somebody who has the time and ability to record all the results and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

For player run tourneys such as the excellent ones done by Koda there is also a need to share API keys which some players (rightly or wrongly) are not willing to do.

I decided to have a look and see if I could create something that would allow non-IT-experts to create and run combat based tournaments without the need to share API keys.

The first thing I looked at was how to share the combat reports without the need to share an API key. This is fairly simple as each combat report has an xML button at the bottom. This allows the viewing (and processing) of the underlying data that makes up the combat report. This XML data DOES NOT contain any API key. Rather it has a key to access that specific report. So a player can share only those combat reports that are relevant and they are happy don't contain info they would rather not potentially make public.

Creating a tournament is the more complex part and I'm working on that at the moment. Currently the creator can set start and end dates, restrict to particular regions and define which (if any) alliances can take part. They can even make it so only those not in an alliance can enter.

To try and give as many options to the organisers as possible when it comes to deciding the 'winners' I include the MDQ rating of any NPCs involved in the combat as well as the population of the town that sent the troops. Hopefully this will allow the grouping of the combats by individual town, by player, by alliance, by # of kills, by population, by NPC, by MDQ rating... the list goes on Smile

At present the system is only for hunting style tournaments (these are the easiest to set up) but perhaps in the future I may be able to expand it to include other styles of tournaments.

I'll post some screenshots of the system later. As always comments and suggestions (positive or negative) are warmly welcomed.

Tens

Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 18:50
As promised above - a couple of screenshots.

Listing of tournaments

Tournament Details, Standings and Submit Report button

If you want to have a play about adding reports to the current tournaments please go to https://illystuff.uk/tourneyMaker/index.html
Note that the Manage Tournaments button is currently disabled as that is the part I'm working on.

Tens

Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 18:57
This is amazing Tensmoor! Thank you for all you do in IIly!
Rikkos View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rikkos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 19:02
Fantastic work Tensmoor Beer
Illy playername: Tamerlane. Used to play as Rikkos
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 19:10
This is pretty darn fantastic, Tens - and I hope the system gets used extensively!

Really, really amazing stuff.

/me showers plaudits

SC
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 09:14
Guid mornin ye auld skinflint. This half eaten haggis of a tool might have it's uses. Mark my words - I only said might, mind ye. Approve
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 09:35
All the comments are much appreciated folks.
Been working on the Tourney management side of things and have got the parts done to create and edit a tourney. Still got some way to go on the editing side though. If the restrictions of a tournament (regions or alliances) are changed that may affect any reports already submitted for it so I need to write some code to handle that - probably going to be a nightmare as usual Wink
After that I need to create a method for the tourney creator to be able to download the details of all reports submitted to their tournaments. Same query as for showing the tournament standings coupled with the same code that I used for the download in the price grabber tool.
Few other things bubbling away in the braincell but a bit early to say if any of them will work or not.

Tens
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 17:23
Request for help testing and developing

Hi folks. I've created a tournament that I will use to help me create the code to produce results sets for tournament creators. To do this I need as many different players of all sizes to submit hunting reports to it. Just follow the link below then having read the instructions on the right side of the page, click Tournaments and then select the Initial Test Tournament to submit your reports.

There will not be any prizes for this tourney but everyone who submits reports will have my thanks.

Tens
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 23:45
Below is a screenshot summarizing the calculations done by the system at present.

Edited by Tensmoor - 12 Jan 2020 at 23:48
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 05:55
Great Tens, Ill get testing and send some reports! 

Also, does the calculation MDQ mean that the fewer units we send to kill those larger NPC,the more points it gives? 

Say I send 300 kights equipped in elite division armies  to kill a legion of rats. Would that give me more points than if I sent 1000 knights?

PublicRelations
HumanResources
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic