illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cotters in Sovereignty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Emerson View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cotters in Sovereignty
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 06:06
I would like to see a Cotter-type unit in the Sovereignty research. As cities get larger, Cotters get crowded out, making harvesting of herbs, grapes, minerals and hides difficult to impossible once you get to all the buildings you need to grow population.

Traditionally, Cotters never lived inside the city walls, anyway. They resided in the surrounding countryside, scrabbling for a living. I propose creating an advanced Cotter using Sovereignty.  Call them Homesteaders or something else along that line.

You can name the levels Founder, Colonist, Developer, Trailblazer and Explorer or something along those lines. Each level allows you to add another “Homesteader” to the sov square, for a maximum of 5. There should be an hourly cost for each “Homesteader” which would make it imperative that they are continually out gathering resources instead of just sitting around. One of the creation resources should be a horse since they should be mounted, being advanced, and have a higher speed than regular Cotters.

The “Homesteaders” still harvest only what regular Cotters harvest, they just do it faster, they cost hourly resources and they don’t take up a building inside the wall. Also, they should be part of the Marketplace to track movements and as a way to send them out to harvest resources. That way their harvesting adds into the city inventory when they return.

How does this idea sound to everyone?

DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 08:09
I like this idea a lot.
It is very frustrating not being able to have cotters in a fully developed city.

It just sounds like a lot to have 5 homesteaders available to build per sov level 5 square. This way you could have 40 cotters just by using the 8x8 squares around your town and getting to level 5 sov.

One per sov. Then when the sov is level 5 you can build another, making it max 2 homesteaders per level 5 sov.
Theres also the opportunity to even add another building that makes it so you can have double the amount of cotters in your town. And make it a 1400ish pop building.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Emerson View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 07:05
I can live with that. But what do you get for levels 2,3 & 4 sov? Extra speed? Extra gathering quantity? That extra sov is going to cost more in hourly resources, so you have got to make it worth it to upgrade the sov. It's already a pain having to send out an army and reclaim a square for each level above sov 1. The players need something for those levels between 1 and 5. Other than that, I like your thinking. 5 Homesteaders per square could be a lot.
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 17:00
Clap Thumbs Up

I like the way this idea sounds... 

#CotterRevolution

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 14:22
The idea is novel.  

I'd follow the route of one cotter per sov square with higher levels increasing some attribute such as travel speed, gathering speed, and/or carrying capacity.  Level 1 would give you the ability to recruit a cotter and each additional level grants a 5%-10% bonus to one or more of the attributes listed above.

Would this sov consume any resources?  There is always the gold and research hit with sov but what about hourly upkeep of basic resources?  Would this bonus consume food?  That would put a damper on Cottervilles taking over the map.  

Now... how about a similar idea for caravans?
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 13:50
Cotter Trade type research to increase the number of cotters supported by one cottage - like guilds research works right now.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Cotter Trade type research to increase the number of cotters supported by one cottage - like guilds research works right now.

I thought about this idea too... Would cottages need more than a single level?  Would maxed out cottages provide more population?  An interesting aspect of the sov proposal is that it may remove the need to keep cottages for those players looking for more population and a higher number of cities.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 20:16
@wartow
Cottages would need 20 levels like any building. They would effectively become guilds in all other ways.
The advantage of tweaking the building and research is that the code already exists. Cotters simply become like herbalists, miners and skinners.
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 22:23
Remove the cottages from the city into the sov for more pop in town. Make it good enough that you only need 1 sov spot to do it. Each level of sov gives double cotters. Start with 1 and you'll have 16 cotters at L5 sov. Seriously, how many cotters does 1 town need?
I am a Machine.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 01:15
Given how useful cotters are for a new player to build up gold precisely because the large cities can't fit them, I'm not sure it'd exactly be a good thing to make them available via sov.
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic