illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complete hunting guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete hunting guide
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 13:42

Greetings, fellow Illy players.

I've been playing for nearly 7 years now and have done quite a whole lot of hunting. So I thought my experience might be useful for someone. Check it out in case you are interested in how to rock hard in Illy hunting. But I warn you, it's quite a long read. Not like "War and peace", but still.

Couple of disclaimers before we start: first, English is not my mother tongue. I tried my best but if you see something put in a wrong/funny way please bear with me. Second, this guide will not teach how to be a good warrior. It gives a good understanding of battle mechanics, all that terrain, crafted, attack/defense but not more. Hunting is attacking NPCs in a way you choose when and where you choose. That is not the case when it comes to PvP and you should consult other war guys. Ten Kulch's warmongering blog is a good read here.

So...

There's (sic!) two reasons I do well attacking. The first is a good understanding of Illy mechanics and the second is my excel calculator. I will try to share both with you. 

Here are the links to the files you will need.

Theory guide

Practice guide

Hunting calculator

Those icons below show something that was mentioned in the all 3 or something that you might need to understand things better. Click them and see details when you stumble across the name in the text:

1. Troops:

[@i=5|76]  [@i=5|77] [@i=5|78] [@i=5|79] [@i=5|81] [@i=5|60] [@i=5|61]

2. Crafted:

Plains:

[@c=112] [@c=41] [@c=84] [@c=154] [@c=172]  [@c=34] 

Woods:

[@c=102] [@c=62] [@c=89] [@c=159] [@c=165]

Hills:

[@c=104] [@c=40] [@c=74] [@c=149] [@c=178]. For dwarves [@c=424], for orcs [@c=425]

Mountains:

[@c=109] [@c=53] [@c=83] [@c=148] [@c=168]. For dwarves [@c=424] 

Universal/buildings:

[@c=114] [@c=63] [@c=139] [@c=156] [@c=174]

3. NPCs:

Giant rats [@i=5|238] [@i=5|239] [@i=5|240] [@i=5|241]

Poisonous crawlers [@i=5|144] [@i=5|145] [@i=5|146] [@i=5|147]

Scuttlers [@i=5|148] [@i=5|149] [@i=5|150] [@i=5|151]

Scritchers [@i=5|152] [@i=5|153] [@i=5|154] [@i=5|155]

UPD for some reason I somewhy cannot see them working:( Not sure if it's a bug or forum feature, I thought the forum supports Illy chat codes. Please copy that icons part, insert in in an ingame mail and send to yourself, you should see 'em all right.

For a small taste of what you can do if you use the calculator correctly:

No, this is not a bug. This was first calculated using the calculator and then confirmed with the actual hit. Intrigued? Check out the links, it's all there.

Please post your questions, comments, rotten tomatoes or whatever or mail them tome in the game.

Great lucks and good hunting!

S.

rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 19:07
Thanks will look into this 😃👍

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Marquesta View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marquesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 07:00
Well done my friend! Thank you!
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...
Asvenger View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 21:26
This is great. I've long been interested whether to use boar or terrain specific spears and you settled it. Also the explanation of why 61 units was new to me. There's so much here - you've given lots to think about. Thanks   
KarL Aegis View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarL Aegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 16:09
The main benefit of killing large amounts of NPCs at once is the gold they drop. You don't appear to have enough guys left to bring home the big loot haul.
I am not amused.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 17:05
I would disagree here. From my experience one could never benefit from the gold dropped from NPCs because to gather some reasonable amount of gold (at least 100-200k) - you would have to heavily oversend, eg add far too many guys than it would be needed to secure the victory. But due to the battle mechanincs the more you send, the more you loose and to bring back 100k gold you would need to loose some extra 200-300 guys and that would cost much much more than you bring back. Speaking financials, net flow is immensey negative in this case. Hence the only way to benefit from hunting is by loosing as few troops as possible and then harvesting the drops: hides and parts.

Killing 5k crawlers with 61 elite set will give you some 15-20 hundreds hides if you hve means of harvesting them. Each hide cost at least 2,5k on the market, so it's around 5m loot not counting parts. Now try to scavenge 5m gold from hunting, that would be quite a miracle to see.

KIlling rat legions is less profitable as rats tend to drop less hides but there will still be some 1k hides to gather while it only takes like 20-25 losses to take an average rat legion. Really, I would love to see a way of getting more drop gold than losses cost. And there's no way one could get more gold than hides&parts value
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 19:49
Encouraging rats to eat more gold coins - one of the many unsolved discoveries!
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 13:38
interesting. Thank you.
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic