illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to make a seperate realm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 05:17
I doubt devs have time for making other realms. I probably would quit if they started to do that because Illyriad itself is still incomplete currently missing many features. To make another incomplete realm competing incoming from new players, while making AoA at the same time would be too much for me to watch and to put my time/money to the game.
Lumelthien View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumelthien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 14:43
I don't have any elaborate arguments, and I certainly make no pretense of having game-development or business expertise. But just from the standpoint of a player, I would very much so enjoy a new "realm" in Illyriad. I think it would be fun to settle an entirely new map with new landscape graphics and great resource spreads in interesting locations.

And frankly, I would still like to see at least part of that new map to be what BL was once supposed to be: a non-pvp area where all of us "farmers" can have fun as we see fit.

Edited by Lumelthien - 06 Aug 2018 at 14:45
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumelthien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Illyriad is clearly dead.

I find it difficult to believe that this type of game is enjoyable for very many people. It's slow, tedious, and just not particularly compelling. There was clearly a "golden age" for the game, where a lot of folks had fun interacting with each other and creating an interesting community. But as more and more of that core of players has moved on, I don't think any other group has particularly replaced them. And given the small audience this game will appeal to anyway, such a group will be hard to attract in the future. I think Illy got lucky.

Along the way, players have constantly wanted to change the game to make it more appealing. Sadly, the devs made promises that they were unable to keep. But in all of that, I think what was truly missing is that the slow pace of the game is the one factor that will always undermine it.

I suppose this is just a long-winded way of agreeing with you.

New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumelthien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 15:17
Excuse all the posts, but just one more thing:

The warmongers morphed this community from a fun, friendly, outgoing bunch of players to one that grew ever more angry, frustrated, and vengeful. Anyone who used to be around knows full well that "the community" was the number one reason the vast majority of the biggest and brightest players played. Killing that community helped to kill the game. And simply adding a new map will not bring back that community by itself.
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 16:04
That would be a cool addition to the game where the farmville players could be safe. I know if the devs did create a new realm I would create an alliance based on NATO where we were a peaceful alliance until attacked then the whole alliance gets drawed onto war. That way we could protect those who wanted to play farmville. One addition though i would like to see is the adjustment of alliance taxs, where instead of the whole alliance paying the same % you could tax your warriors at 0% as they're the fighters and you could tax the farmers at like 3% and it would be even cooler if you could choose which players could receive money instead of it just going to the alliance leader.
I think the reason why they haven't been able to recruit as many new players is cause they see a world which has ran its course. A new realm would give incentive to new players to play since its all new. People play retro games all the time, the age of the game isnt the issue. The issue is firstly give people a fresh start, and take away sitters and multis cause imo thats cheating and that crap ruins the game for those hard workers who follow the rules to just have everything destroyed by people who have over 10 accounts.
The problem with the war people as you mentioned was the members of the SIN basically terrorized Illyriad. They claimed to want to rid the game of multis and sitted accounts. Reading their posts i was just like wow these guys are horrible at diplomacy. Firstly if they would have united the player base that wished to see the sitter accounts burned instead of being the equivalent of the nazi regime, i think they could've achieved their goals. But instead you had them try and impose a set price on silver steel. Then you had them say if someone left their alliance that was at war with them they'd hunt you down and burn you. Then i remember reading one post from a noob who got completely destroyed by them cause their alliance leader declared war on SIN so naturally they gotta hunt this poor feller down who doesn't even have a 5K pop. Then i remember them demanding sitter rights from one enemy and the devs saying oh yah thats cool, players direct the game. I was like what the hell. Anyways i could list about 15 more things the sin did, they didn't help them selves out at all in the eyes of the population. When you have policies of bunt and destroy noobs at any cost people read and see that and they don't want to be apart of that. Illyriad takes so long to build up in, and the players who have been playing for years can knock you down in days when you spent 6 months or more building up.
So ya the warring community probably did scare off some new players. I think if they marketed this game as a farmville it would do really well. Maybe have a server where its farmville then another where its normal illyriad. I dont even know at this point.
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 04:23
It doesn't matter anymore, you don't play. 

Illy was written years ago with different code from what is used in AoA. It seems that turning Illy into a new game would be like driving an old volkswagon into a junkyard and hoping it turns into a mercedes benz.  If you don't like the game, do something about it. Or better yet, end the thread and go to another game.

If you care to look for it, you will find the devs have already told us enough to answer the 'when' questions.

now give me a dollar. then go away.
I am a Machine.
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:02
Having a safe-zone in Illyriad will imbalance the trade market, as well as make some players invincible. 

Players will claim as much land as possible in the safe-zone. Then they will farm like hell there, whilst having other options in the PvP area and the ability to always have reimbursement from their safe-zone.

Doesn't work.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 19:38
You could have a pvp realm and a pve realm. In the pvp realm things are the same as normal Illyriad minus the sitter accounts. And in the pve realm war is strictly banned. Only time you can use war units is for attacking npc's or to defend your npc kills.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by Lumelthien Lumelthien wrote:

Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Illyriad is clearly dead.

I find it difficult to believe that this type of game is enjoyable for very many people. It's slow, tedious, and just not particularly compelling. There was clearly a "golden age" for the game, where a lot of folks had fun interacting with each other and creating an interesting community. But as more and more of that core of players has moved on, I don't think any other group has particularly replaced them. And given the small audience this game will appeal to anyway, such a group will be hard to attract in the future. I think Illy got lucky.

Along the way, players have constantly wanted to change the game to make it more appealing. Sadly, the devs made promises that they were unable to keep. But in all of that, I think what was truly missing is that the slow pace of the game is the one factor that will always undermine it.

I suppose this is just a long-winded way of agreeing with you.

Yes
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 02:42
I suppose that no soapbox about What To Do About Illyriad (TM) would be complete without a misplaced rant about how SINdicate destroyed the game. In its entire multiyear history, the SINdicate probably destroyed less than 0.25% of the cities in the game. Yes, it did bring enormous military and political pressure on certain adversaries, causing their alliances to disband, but the vast (meaning 95% minimum) majority of those players of those defunct guilds went on to join other alliances and continue playing. The actual destruction is minuscule compared to the mythical level of fear.

Luckily now the SINdicate is gone, so the server can enjoy a huge muggle renaissance. Huzzah.

I'd like to predict now that there won't be a rebirth. There is not much demand for a click-focused browser game with minimal animation in the age of smartphones and tablets. The devs would be reckless to tamper with Illyriad too much. It still has 3000-4000 accounts, some of which probably still purchase prestige to keep the servers running. As long as Illy lives, they can credit themselves with running an award-winning Grand Strategy game that is part of the Steam platform. That is actually a valuable career and marketing asset, even if the game isn't the next Fortnite. There is a lot to be said for keeping a game running for seven years. While armchair quarterbacks can have pet theories about massive changes that should be attempted, there is a lot of cost and risk in a move like that, with potentially very little reward. There is very little cost and risk to maintaining the status quo, considering that Illyriad is a modest commercial success with some great press, and it probably requires minimal effort to do ongoing maintenance and make the occasional small change.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic