Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poaching Kills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Do you poach kills (outside of the noob ring)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [47.06%]
9 [52.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poaching Kills
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:42
Hey All,
I've noticed a general trend that people are starting to view harvesting other people's kills as acceptable and that if you want to keep your kill, you should occupy it with an army.

Why is this? Surely the fact that something's been killed means that someone probably wants to harvest said kill. 

I'd also like to know how you all deal with people who attempt to harvest your kills.

Thanks

-E
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
King Sigerius View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 16:09
I have a guy who has slaughtered  100s of thousands of critters and never harvested any of them. In Iron most of us just send troops to kill stuff and whoever wants can harvest it if there is no army on the square. A team effort really, I know I do not have enough skinners for the 7 or so legions Ive killed this week, so  one of my buddys will come take them :) If i see anyone other than Iron on my kill I slaughter them. I do believe in the 10 square rule for non alliance members, though I also believe in the right to break to the rule. 
Shimrod View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 16:14
I kill poachers since it's the same thing as sending thieves. Recently I've had an issue with people sending harvesters from over 100 squares away. One sent from over 300 squares. One sent multiple times and then complained that I should just bump him. His argument was it's all fair game since at that distance there's no way to tell how the drop occurred.

So it's not fair game when a drop is close to you, but fair game when it's far away? And since you don't know whose drop it is then it's ok to farm it? People come up with some distorted logic. From my pov these are the very reasons why you should not travel long distances to farm a drop. Especially when you can wait a day and see if someone is harvesting there. If a drop is just sitting around with no one on it, then, yes, I agree that is fair game. But to arbitrarily just send out willy-nilly is asking for problems.

And of course, for those that think anything laying around is fair game, remember that poachers are fair game, too. So if your harvesters end up dead, you have no cause for complaint. You just wasted the trip out, but were saved the trip back.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 17:53
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Hey All,
I've noticed a general trend that people are starting to view harvesting other people's kills as acceptable and that if you want to keep your kill, you should occupy it with an army.

Poach boldly!  If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

All that being said... communication is important and I wouldn't put an army on a square to harvest what I didn't kill.  This includes the Underworld forces leaving remains of each other all over the place.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 18:30
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

Many people feel that they have claimed possession the anatomies and hides from a kill by virtue of them making the kill. They don't need to show possession because it is already theirs... 

Additionally, what if someone wants to kill more than 5 npc groups from a single town?

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 19:16

Additionally, what if someone wants to kill more than 5 npc groups from a single town?

This doesn't sound like it is my problem as the poacher.

I'd like to hold all of the trove and brascan seed squares in the game but I'm limited to five commanders per city.  I can hold more by clustering my cities together near by but this is not the problem of other harvesting players in the game to figure out or guess what another player is attempting to achieve.  
  • Occupy first, sov second, five square rule third.  
  • Communicate when making exceptions or to adjust.
  • Be reasonable in your reply.
There are built in limitations (5 commanders, 70 vans, # of harvesters).  We deal with them everyday.  As a community the above bullet point seems to be the most widely accepted norm and has served me well to profit from my efforts (and perhaps the efforts of others).
Llannedd View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Llannedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 20:42
NPCs can kill each other, so if I see an animal parts icon on the map there is no way of knowing if it was a player kill or an NPC kill. While I don't harvest animal parts that are close (within 5 squares) of a player town, I will freely harvest any others. If you want to identify your kill, park an army on it for a day or two to let others know.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 20:56
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

This doesn't sound like it is my problem as the poacher.

I'd like to hold all of the trove and brascan seed squares in the game but I'm limited to five commanders per city.  I can hold more by clustering my cities together near by but this is not the problem of other harvesting players in the game to figure out or guess what another player is attempting to achieve.  
  • Occupy first, sov second, five square rule third.  
  • Communicate when making exceptions or to adjust.
  • Be reasonable in your reply.
There are built in limitations (5 commanders, 70 vans, # of harvesters).  We deal with them everyday.  As a community the above bullet point seems to be the most widely accepted norm and has served me well to profit from my efforts (and perhaps the efforts of others).

Then I'd say the cost of replacing harvesters isn't my problem when they get squished. Why communicate when a quick attack is a much faster and efficient method of ending the poaching of a kill? I've had issues in the past where people get annoyed that I've killed their skinners.

As for the trove and brascan comment, it differs somewhat from kills as no one has to lose troops hunting sentient trove... yet.... (who knows what the devs are doing)

However, I'd also like to point out that you haven't claimed sov or put armies on most of the squares around your town.... so would it therefore be totally fine for me to settle a town 5.1 squares away from you? 

As for llanedd's comment... I'd point out that in a situation where this has happened, you get 2 kinds of animal drop on the same tile. As these situations do not make up the majority of kill spots and are easily identified through scouting, I don't feel that they can really be used as a justification for poaching.

Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:48
Occupy the square to show its your kill.Just set the army to occupy. It's not rocket science. Unguarded = I don't care enough about it. So its anybody's. NPC's kill each other, its not only players that generate anatomies.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:49
Hides are only expensive because not enough people are bothering to collect them and post sell orders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic