illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Hashashin are disbanding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lagavulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 23:53
My above post was a reply to Hellmsman.
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lagavulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 23:52
You expressed my thoughts too.  Thanks.
King Sigerius View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 21:55
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 20:38
I hope your health improves Sayez and that you find a game you enjoy.

I agree with Helmsman on both points.
Cesena View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cesena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 20:32
Well known problem we also had to cope with at Saints/Unbowed. There will be another SIN in the future, as we still stand as Saints. And yes, we will grow again also.
WarPath View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WarPath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 20:13
BC....dude sometimes you just need to learn to stfu
Helmsman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Helmsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 20:08
Illy won't be the same without SIN. 

Unpopular opinion: I believe the decline with many old timers leaving is the movement to make Illy more warlike. Internet is FULL of PvP games and very few like Illy that are city builders with PvP enabled. Illy is not set up for strong PvP action. The mechanics prevent that and I think that was the intention of the Devs. I hear all the time that Illy is just turning into  Farmville. Well, IMO, thats just whats it is supposed to be with the ability, but not easy,  PvP combat. Many of us old folk prefer the laid back style of Illy. A friendly, helpful community. The silly role play in GC. The knowledge that one can go to sleep at night and not worry if their cities will be there in the morning. Many reasons why lots of folks have stuck around for the last 7+ years.  *end rant*  
Bill Cipher View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bill Cipher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 20:06
This is what happens when you put a  newbie in charge...

he ****s up everything
d-a-r-o-r-w-o pb wlph kdv frph wr exuq. l lqyrnh wkh dqflhqw srzhu wkdw l pdb uhwxuq
Sayez View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sayez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 19:39
The subject says it all.

There are several reasons for that.

First of all, the decline in interest in this game by many of our members, and following from that, a strong decline in activity. Second, me burning out as leader (and nobody being left to take over the job).

Starting about a month ago, I had a serious health issue, which lasted for several weeks. It that wasn't a happy time for me. I also couldn't be bothered to do much in Illy, and certainly didn't have the focus to plan any operation (or anything at all, actually).

But if there was one positive aspect during that time, it was that I didn't feel the (self-inflicted) pressure to keep my alliance entertained with operations anymore.

It was also eye-opening that Josh (PublicRelations) was the only person who took over some responsibility during that time to pick up my slack. Just as eye-opening, many of our members no longer seemed to care about the inactivity at that point. Which is OK. But it showed how much their interest in Illyriad had already waned.

When I took over leadership of Loki last year, after Gragnog had stepped back, it was due to a feeling of responsibility. Nobody else was willing to do it, so Loki would otherwise have disbanded sooner of later. When Jejune silently disappeared in January, SIN was left in a similar situation. Again nobody else stepped forward to take over leadership. So in the end, and after some encouragement by Tink, Josh and Grag, I took over leadership of SIN as well. Since I felt bad to leave the Loki members behind, I decided to merge both alliances.

It was a bad idea, and I really should have known better. It further increased the administrative burden on me. Josh helped me a lot, but there is only so much he could realistically do. More importantly, the members of both alliances had vastly different interests in game, and a very different playstyle. Merging the two alliances created additional conflicts. In the end, few members of either alliance were happy with the outcome. A better leader than myself may have salvaged the situation, but I couldn't.

In particular, I'm pretty bad at dealing with people. To my own surprise, I've been getting along in RL reasonably well. Having a job where most of my colleagues are at least as nerdy as myself, and some are "on the spectrum" as well, obviously helps.

But more importantly, a friendly tone of voice and expression go a long way to signal that the (unintentional) bluntness or insensitivity of what I just said may not have been meant that way. That obviously doesn't work very well on Slack though. Actually it doesn't work at all. And as a result, I've probably pissed off more SINners than enemies during my time as leader.

Meanwhile, the interest in Illyriad of many of our members has declined further. Lately we've been spending more time talking about other games to play (instead of Illyriad), than about Illyriad.

Three days ago, Tink, one of the few remaining veterans of 300 and the SINdicate, quit. Last year, the departure of a few SIN core members caused other members (who had also lost interest, but kept playing anyway, to not let their team mates down) to quit as well. And now, Tink quitting seems to have started yet another such cascade within the SINdicate.

To clarify, I'm not really mad at any people who quit (and certainly not at Tink). In fact I appreciate their team spirit and loyalty, which kept them playing after they had lost interest themselves. And I'm actually relieved that I can now give up the alliance leadership, which I had never asked for, and leave this game as well. Without the bad conscience I would otherwise have had for letting down our members as well as our allies in 300.

So, in the end, I decided to do what we should have done in January (when Jejune quit), or possibly even earlier (when the core of our veterans quit).

To disband SIN.

What will happen to our members? Some of them will quit the game.

Others will go casual (in fact, many of them already have). And that's OK. But SIN isn't the right alliance for that.

Some might join one of the very few remaining military alliances.

I will be around for a week or two, sort out a few things, use our remaining alliance prestige (probably to hand out some cheesy medals), and will then probably follow either Stuk's example and find a sitter, or Tink's example and abandon. I had briefly thought about moving back to Elgea, but can't really be bothered to rebuild (and re-sov) my cities *again*.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic