illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the Treatment of Newbs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lord Brakan View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Brakan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the Treatment of Newbs
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 20:00
It was during the war with The Mal Motshans that Illyriad was presented a choice: They could stand idly by and allow TMM to bully and threaten Newbies OR they could go to war to and distinguish Illyriad from the failed games such as Fallen Sword, Eve, travian, grepolis, to name a few. This was a war of Honor and fortunately Illyriad chose the latter. This pivotal point in Illyrian History set the stage for the record of being one of the oldest and most active game out there. 
I do promise this: that as long as I draw breath, mine clan Brakandrok will remain a friend of all younglings and newbies, yes, even the orcs. I urge all true Illyrians to pledge the same. Protection of newbs should be one of the highest honors one can be called to, for without newbs, our beautiful world will swiftly crumble. 
Lord Brakan,
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Brakan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 20:10
It has been brought to my attention that this post could be viewed as Anti-Tcol. To be perfectly clear, this post was simply made as a result of my research into that period. This was not intended to point fingers at anyone, simply a general observation that I made. 
To be clear, I do support TCol and their nation and I do not want them to, nor should they, be paralled to TMM.
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 21:16
will there ever come an end to the whining about honor and how great the past used to be? If you want to be a friend of newbies please do so without shouting for attention. 

I miss the bitter sea.
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 02:12
Support your local land claimer.
I am a Machine.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 03:26
Normally I'm not a joiner, but I like what that dude is saying about standing up to n00bs. The whole part about perishing brought a tear to my eye. I don't know who these True Illyrians and their n00b henchmen are, but I think we can all agree that we need to go back six years in a time machine, selectively interpret some random forum complaints without any context whatsoever, and then save the Mal Motshans from these threatening bullies. Because if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a beautiful game world that isn't crumbling.

I mean honestly, if you'd just mentioned intimidation and coercion, I might have literally leapt out of my chair for pure joy.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Almost Balanced View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Almost Balanced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 08:21
I could now list dozens of cities (some of them are still in their places) and a dozen players who left the Illyriad in the beginning of "land claim strategy" because of the land claiming strategy and have never returned. Today is the same. I was, as a newbie victim of that strategy, spending a lot of money and nerves, but I did not leave the game for that. The reason for my departure was the disease.

I am here, around the game, from 10.07. 2011, I remember the better days.

Land claiming surprised even developers who could not answer.

This strategy, with the developer's inevitability, slowly but surely crushes the foundations of the game.
(player base)

But this is sandbox, isn't it?

Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 09:14
Well, I started spring 2010 when the game was still very young and all the bs of protecting newbies has never gone anywhere beyond gc. Newbies who didn't come crying in gc were never protected. Attacking newbies was'nt and still isn't worth the time of experienced players unless the newbie is at a stratigical location or just very annoying.  

The game rules, mechanics and map have evolved during the years and offcourse player strategies were adjusted to these changes, for better or worse. Personally I think the game has improved during that time. Take a look at the old screenshots gm tundercat (?) posted recently. You really want to go back in time? If you don't like the way the game works now either try to change it or leave it for those who are new or those who are still enjoying it after 8 years. 

Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 15:57
I started playing Illy in June of 2010. I have been in many alliances and every one 'claimed' a certain area. This is human nature, right? Why is it such a surprise to find land claiming in a game? It makes great sense and helps the alliance in many ways. I wish Illy would be attacked by lizard aliens so people would have something to complain about instead of the legitimate use of game mechanics to organize their group into clusters. In the case of The Colonial Desert State, the grouping together of multiple alliances is the obvious next step in the evolution of Illy. I look forward to more like groupings in order to bring real competition to the game.

pTory had discussed land claiming in BL long before TCol and Ta2in respectfully offered a confed. I believe the new pTory also has this desire, but in a different way. This would have been exactly what Yuki and I had wanted except that one of us freaked a bit. That would have been a good time for the lizard aliens to show up.

Concerning newbs? I think there are many new players who like Illy the way it is, and some want it to be a soft, yielding, 'let me alone so I can farm' style game. The best advice for peaceful newbs might be to just play that way. Become successful and contribute, remaining active. Join an alliance which doesn't interfere with other alliances and they may get the peaceful farming game they want.
I am a Machine.
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Brakan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 18:11
I'd like to point out again that I do support land claims. 
Again, this post was simply an observation I made based on my research into that time period. I did not, nor do I, mean for there to be parallels drawn or fingers pointed at any modern alliance or group.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 19:27
Originally posted by Almost Balanced Almost Balanced wrote:

I could now list dozens of cities (some of them are still in their places) and a dozen players who left the Illyriad in the beginning of "land claim strategy" because of the land claiming strategy and have never returned.

Please list them.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic