illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small Alliances Tournament League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Alliances Tournament League
    Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 03:52
Hey All,

So, a recent post by King Sigerius on my alliance cost thread gave me an idea for creating a tournament league for small alliances. The idea of this would be to give something for small alliances to do early on.

My current thinking is to make it open to any alliance ranked below 50 on the alliance leaderboard by land (which is also currently any alliance with less than 1k land).

Obviously, membership/ entrance fees would have to be implemented to fund prizes. 

Tournaments would be every 3 months with a mix of trade, growth, and military style ones. Depending on the popularity of this, there could be more than one at a time.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Would you be interested, what styles would you like, and what sort of prizes should there be?

-Eowan
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 05:12
What would a trade tournament look like? I have wondered over the years.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 05:21
In the past when I've done/ seen trade tournaments, it has revolved around trade score growth. This isn't a perfect way of measuring trading... perhaps APIs could be used to ensure trading with an alt wasn't being used to boost scores.

I've also seen tournaments where the aim was to make the biggest single trade and also to acquire as many types of anatomies/herbs/minerals as possible.

Edited by eowan the short - 14 Apr 2018 at 05:22
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 16:15
This is a great idea. Come up with a simple tourney for the new smaller players and I will help with some prizes. Will it be like your previous PvP? Or the largest NPC kill with the best kill ratio? Maybe an ongoing PvP with winners advancing.
I am a Machine.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 18:37
A suggestion has been made for a discovery based tournament as well.  
"I was in a "discovery" tournament where I entered my newest town (no discoveries) and tried to get as many as I could in a set amount of time eg one month.  This worked as even noobs could join in and learn a new aspect of the game.  Tournaments like "discoveries" are great teaching tools. "

To me, this seems like a pretty cool idea. What do you all think?
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 20:07
Do it. What do you need to start? 
I am a Machine.
DArtagnan View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DArtagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:20
Sounds intriguing, there are lots of smaller players that this would be great for. I/we will help where we can.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:26
In my experience, the biggest challenge is marketing. Many little players don't read the forums, don't watch GC. So how do you effectively get the message out to them?
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:40
I've IGMed every single alliance leader it applies to, Ten. All 160 or so of them (some alliances only contained abandoned accounts). Marketing isn't an issue with copy, paste, and a mouse with a back button :D . I'll then IGM those who have responded whilst also posting on the forums again to announce new tournaments.

Thanks Dart, I'll put you in my list of interested alliances :) 

As for what I need to start, I need to have a stable account which I won't have until after May 31st, Ubi.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 07:52

So, currently, my ideas for types of tournament are as follows:

1) Military Tournaments

• King of the Hill- Unlikely to actually do this type as it is already used a lot during normal tournaments
  • Hunting Tournament- See how much of the environment can be killed- scored based on variety, quantity etc. 
  • Player Hunting Tournament- tournament accounts are used to send troops to random squares across Illyriad. Alliances then have to see how many of these they can kill first. This would be an example of limited PvP. 
  • Capture the Flag- Alliances are grouped into teams and have to defend flag towns made in tournament accounts whilst also capturing the opposing team's flags. 
  • Timing Tournaments- Alliances have to see how many armies (sieges?) they can land in a given time period. 

2) Growth Tournaments:

These are fairly self explanatory- see how much an alliance could grow by various metrics. I'd probably award prizes here based on 3 categories, greatest absolute growth, greatest % growth and a middle category that combined the scores from absolute and % growth

3) Trade Tournaments:

• Trade Score Growth- This would be to see who could trade the most stuff. This would be a case where a trade tournament API would be used to prevent people from just trading heavily with an alt to boost scores artificially. I'd probably also discount scores generated from trading with alliance mates.
  • Largest single order- Players from alliances compete to see who can fill the largest single trade orders in terms of value. Each player submits their own high score with alliances then getting a total score from this.
  • Gathering tournament- see who can gather the greatest variety of herbs/ anatomies/ minerals
  • There has been a suggestion for the use of tournament accounts to act as some sort of anonymous buyer/ seller in the markets... I'm currently working ideas for this. 

4) Discovery Tournament:

Each participating player starts with a town with no discoveries and sees how many they can get in a set period of time. 

I'm also open to any other suggestions you might have, in fact, the idea for the player hunting tournament and the discovery tournaments both came from people I IGMed about this.

All of the non-team tournaments would have 3 broad categories of score- an absolute, a size scaled and an inbetween value that combines the two. The idea of this is that larger alliances will do best with the absolute value, small ones will do better with size scaled and the inbetween value will give middle sized alliances an opportunity. 

Depending on how many alliances get involved and if I can find a large alliance to participate, there could be the potential for an all v 1 format where a single large alliance competes against as many of the small alliances as are interested in a tournament.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic