Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Much Should It Cost To Start An Alliance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: How much should it cost to start an alliance?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [30.00%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
2 [6.67%]
4 [13.33%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
11 [36.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 20:27
In my weak sighted eyes Geek, 1Bil is too extreme and 1Mil is too low Disapprove. I voted for 100Mil... Approve
I want it to be discouraging but not too discouraging, it is always healthy to have new politics and cultures.
Btw as a trader, a single player alone can manage 100Mil a year or less.

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Silea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 06:35
what i would like is an alliance bank area.   with quests or discoveries attached to said bank.  This would give an a reason for joining a more established alliance for the discoveries in the alliance.   But I am also of the opinion to make alliances jump thru to many hoops is not good... maybe instead an alliance has to have 5 avail people to start.  I have seen this done and it keeps the start of alliances down. 
Dabrelis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabrelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 08:30
I am cool with one/few person alliances though. Why not? Whatever makes kid happy...
Grom View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 12:47
I'm gonna say at least 1B, preferably several. While it may seem a lot, it guarantees that alliance can only be started with enough/large enough accounts to make the new alliance viable.
IKnight View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 15:43
I voted 100m. 500k gold is easy to get. For crying out loud, being a terra gets you 25m gold within a week, at least. So all the newbies make alliances and think they know what they are doing. No offense to them, there are a few good leaders among them, but it creates too many "starving alliances". 100m gold is a big price, but not impossible to achieve. So by the time you get this much gold, you should at least know "something" about Illyriad. A billion truly seems like way too much.

~IKnights
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 16:08
wow, I really didn't expect the 100 mil option to be as popular as it has been. 

This is interesting though... the median is still around the 10 mil mark but it could indicate that perhaps there could be something to be said for implementing ways of levelling up alliances in some way. A topic I did make a poll for but it got little attention. 

Edited by eowan the short - 08 Apr 2018 at 16:09
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 19:26
Me thinks Ermm We need to plug these polls on GC... 

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 19:49
I find it amusing that people are still giving the nod to my utterly sarcastic recommendation of 1B gold.

What is the harm in having little alliances? Everyone needs a place to start. Maybe some players join Illy, form a little group, and just play the game amateur-style in the n00b ring. Their ten bucks for prestige is as valid as mine. Not everyone who plays Illyriad wants to join a chat-based personality cult, try to be a tournament champion, or become a capable warmonger. If their alliance can't supply them with unlimited basic resources, it's no big deal. Not everyone wants to prestige build to get to a certain perceived power level. Some players just play for the journey, with no real destination in mind.

When I played GoW, I can't tell you how many alliances were permanently shielded, and people just chatted about becoming warriors without ever getting there. Mostly those people just hunted weaker monsters, harvested, and sometimes bought gold and crafted unimpressive gear. They didn't even fight in kingdom vs kingdom battles. But some of those folks still paid money, and having a team of supportive muggles around them made them feel important, and cemented them into the game. So if some Illyrian n00bs make crappy alliances, give themselves overblown titles, and mint needlessly fancy medals, then maybe we shouldn't judge that harshly. Maybe that's the experience that they wanted for $10 and several dozen hours of gaming entertainment.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 20:36
Yes... given that it isn't even an option, the 1bn figure seems to be used a lot...
#BlameTenKulch

Currently, the median is 10 mil. If you spend $10 then you definitely have more than 10 mil worth of pres.

Would I judge them? No, but would I also believe the alliance was more likely to fail and if I was an alliance leader would I be less likely to consider them for serious diplomatic relationships? Yes.

This is a long term game with a lot to learn about in it so why shouldn't having an alliance be seen as a long term goal?
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 20:56
I balk at the number because in the early game, most players don't know how to get gold. People posting here seem to have forgotten the early days when 10M gold seemed like a crazy amount of money. If the requirement were directly translatable to something a new player could clearly acquire, like 100 prestige or 10000 minerals, then I think it becomes more viable. Otherwise it's just an artificial hoop to jump through.

Separately, I question the value of impeding alliance formation as a goal.

Little alliances are also used for red vs. blue skirmishes. 10M might not stop that use model for an established alliance, but 100M might.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic