illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Spells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AdmiralRage View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralRage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Spells
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 19:53
I want to throw an idea out there that would hopefully increase the usefulness of magic. Now resource spells and glyphs are helpful, but its a more passive part of the game. I would like to see new spells, that would hopefully use some unused anatomies in the game. Please included your suggestions.

-A 8 hour city defense spell with a huge cooldown so it doesn't get abused
-The ability to "blight" a siege camp. It would decrease defense for a period of time, you could have 4 different ones for each unit type defence
-A 'Mud pit' spell, when an army hits your city, their return journey is 300% slower.
-A necromastery spell, resurrects 2% or something of the units killed defending your city
-Alchemist spell, temporarily turns mana generation into gold generation
-The "eye of something" spell, temporarily increases diplo visibilty by 2

My hope by adding new spells is to make magic a more active part of the game and to use all the useless things I'm collecting. 
Bill Cipher View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Cipher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 20:03
That's what they are panning on.... I think or so i've been told anyways this might be  some added motivation or something
d-a-r-o-r-w-o pb wlph kdv frph wr exuq. l lqyrnh wkh dqflhqw srzhu wkdw l pdb uhwxuq
Hyde View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 20:34
One of the things that sticks out is the 8 hour city defense spell, it would make siegeing extremely difficult.

Say your city is about to hit raze pop, cast that spell and they can't storm for 8 hours, and lot happens in a siege in 8 hours. You could build your city up above raze pop, hold out for those late siege breakers, or have a big wave of defensive troops land to greet the storm after the 8 hours is up.

The cooldown wouldn't deter someone who is potentially about tk lose their city.
AdmiralRage View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralRage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 20:41
I was thinking that would help the defender avoid being razed once, (city defense spell could only increase defense by 5% to 10%) so it's still possible. But your point is valid because the defender already has an advantage and they don't need more.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 20:54
Originally posted by AdmiralRage AdmiralRage wrote:

I was thinking that would help the defender avoid being razed once, (city defense spell could only increase defense by 5% to 10%) so it's still possible. But your point is valid because the defender already has an advantage and they don't need more.

All neat suggestions.

The defense spell could perhaps frustrate the active siege engines or delay the set up beyond the current 12 hour span.  
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 03:51
I think we should have some summon animal spells.

We have animal hearts, herbs and minerals that still aren't used for anything and this easily fits that bill.  Plus the combat stats and mechanics are already in place.  

You could summon them to defend your city running around the 8 surrounding sq's or summon them to attack your enemies cities and armies.  

It could be made to summon from nowhere or it could be made to be cast on animals around the map.  I think the coding aspect of the second method may be harder though. 

Lastly add a prestige option to reduce the cooldown of magic spells by a few hrs or something. 
General Lacesso View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Lacesso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 05:42
Instead of adding random spells why not include a new school of magic. This school would of course have new spells. My idea is the the school of necromancy. For those who don't know what that is, it's the magical study of death. I have come up with four spells to reflect that.

1. Loyal Companions- Able to summon animals from hunted resources.
2. Undying Army- A defensive spell that allows a small percent of the defending army to escape death.
3. Marching Caskets- A offensive variant of spell #2.
4. The Rich Die Rich- If and when a commander dies this spell will decrease the cost to resurrect them.

I do like the idea of adding a new school instead of just spells and necromancy was just a suggestion.
Check out some good role play stories at https://cocameron0.wixsite.com/illyriad-stories
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 06:24
A few years ago there were several schools of draft spells circulating around illy. There were rumours flying around about them at the time, but I don't actually know who designed them.

Regardless, the schools were:

Abjuration Magic (Military defense)
Animal Lore
Countermagic
Elementalism
Necromancy

There were dozens of fun spell ideas. A few examples:

Barrier Against Animals

Your mages can now weave a barrier around distant wilderness areas, to hold off natural enemies- typically animals. This spell can be cast on any square which does not contain a settlement, hub, etc. Enemy units can resist.

+50% defense against nature units.

Requires Mage level 9.

Mage's Counterblast

Your spellcasters build a great reservoir of energy, which will be unleashed in one blast against any who attempt to cast a hostile spell on this settlement - but only if the hostile spell is successfully blocked.

Command the Fallen

Your mages enchant a square on the map so that a percentage of the troops next slain on that square by an undead army will rise after the battle to join the force that slew them. This only raises normal troops--monstrous units, animals and undead are not raised. Any undead army can gain new troops from this spell regardless of who's spellcasters cast this magic. The spell lasts on the square until either undead forces inflict casualties here or the spell is dispelled.

2% of troops slain by undead rise to join that commander.

Calm the Wild Beasts

Targeting the animals on a single nearby square, your spellcasters ensure that a sense of calm and contentment descends over the beasts. These pacified animals will not attack nearby forces, and will not wander away for a given period. However, they remain wild animals and will attack any forces that attempts to occupy their square.

Locks animals on one square.
Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neytiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 03:00
I'd be happy if a little firework animation happened above my city every time a spell got cast or a rune triggered.

Then I would be happy if I had a spell that could activate a nearby volcano.

And if you can master that, I would be happy if you could use magic to manipulate the markets.  For example, a spell that would swap your order for the most recently placed trade.  Would it create chaos in the markets?  Sure. . . but the markets are experiencing hyper-deflation.  Something should jazz them up a little.  Plus, it would give people a reason to use some of their mana.  Us veterans are mana hoarders.
"It is well that their bodies know the heat and the cold; it will make them strong warriors and mothers." - Absaroke elder (from Edward S. Curtis's book 'The North American Indian')
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic