illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Court of Petitioners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 00:47
The court of public opinion is not to be underestimated.  It can rally others to counter what is viewed as unjust and it can be used to attach a negative label to individuals who prefer to wear their crazy on their sleeves for all to see.

No further in-game mechanic necessary to "right" perceived "wrongs".
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 01:32
The court of public opinion in this game is limited to lynch mobs against players who are already unable to defend themselves. That phenomenon, I have seen many times.

To counter a strong adversary in this game, you need either actual strength or impeccable diplomacy.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 16:53
I've always marveled at the all-newb alliances in Illy. Players want to strike it out on their own in a persistent and well-populated world without having any experience, connections, or resources, and then go whine on the forums and appeal to non-existing "laws" the minute they get messed with.

In another game, you'd be farmed the minute your little city popped up on the map. In Illyriad, new players by convention are given a wide berth and showered with resources. But how long should this conventional "rainbow" last and should it cover not just individual players but entire alliances? At some point, you have to embrace the fact that it's a game that has things like military action built into it. This is not a zero friction game by design, so just toughen up a little and investigate your options out of this conflict. I'm afraid they've narrowed down considerably since your post.

Edited by Tink XX - 04 Apr 2018 at 16:53
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 18:29
Originally posted by Tink XX Tink XX wrote:

In another game, you'd be farmed the minute your little city popped up on the map.

To be fair, in other games there is value to farming new players. Usually advancement requires increasing amounts of basic resources that imply either farming or real money purchases. Other titles encourage the capture of cities from other players.

What I think people miss about Illyriad is that it has a rich meta-game. There aren't precious resources to control, there is little value to farming weaker alliances. Most interaction is purely voluntary. Therefore, Illyriad is about relationships. Intentionally existing in a vacuum is a terrible idea in this game.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 20:28
I agree that there is no game mechanics value in farming newbs and that's probably the main reason why it's pretty much non-existent in Illy. The side effect of this lack of threat is that it breeds a certain sense of complacency and even an expectation that you won't be attacked. Ever.
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 12:36
Well I could see a situation with illy mechanics that expansive "old" alliance would capture cities that get fully researched and big enough from nb alliance(s) but actually since there is so much quitting players I have never had to build research myself after first 5 towns. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic