Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am curious about what YOU think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Should we be allowed more accounts per player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
169 [48.15%]
14 [3.99%]
87 [24.79%]
70 [19.94%]
7 [1.99%]
4 [1.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Almost Balanced View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Almost Balanced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 07:46
Nice to see Rill.

Scarves and canvas are in developer's hands.

Robertscott View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robertscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 09:31
    Blankit, Ten Kulch and his reasoned persuasive writing is a great asset to this game, throwing him a shot with the "fancy formal tone" is uncalled for, his prose is a delight to read.  

Also he does not call people names in a malicious way in his blogs.  His labeling players "carebears" or similar is funny and justified.

You are choosing the wrong guy to Ad Hominem.  We are blessed to have his intellect here in our little game of a few hundred players.
Ruarc View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:38
I kinda agree with Telios and others - a single account per player would have been best. It's very difficult to row back on the 2 accounts per player decision now though without things getting very messy. 

As for terras - they're not an exploit, I think the devs have clarified that (not sure about your petition Rill but they'd have surely mentioned something in the prestige referral update if they were an exploit). They're also not, entirely, bad for the game. Although they present their own problems, they open up areas of the map which otherwise would be largely ignored. Jungle, desert, and arctic terrain become significantly more viable with terraforms as an option. It would be one thing if those terrain types offered advantages commensurate with their disadvantages, but the reality is that they don't. We can already see how suboptimal areas of the map are largely ignored even with terras, just look at all the unsettled terrain which is dominated by large mountains. It's unsettled because the terrain doesn't offer an advantage commensurate with its disadvantage. Terras redress that balance somewhat. I couldn't say if they swing too far in one direction or another, but removing terras without fixing the underlying imbalance which is prompting their widespread use is just going to render more parts of the map effectively uninhabitable.

Now, I'm biased af because I've made widespread use of terras. I tell you what though, I wouldn't have looked twice at jungle terrain as it currently stands without terras being an option.
Blankit View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:09
Originally posted by Robertscott Robertscott wrote:

Blankit, Ten Kulch and his reasoned persuasive writing is a great asset to this game, throwing him a shot with the "fancy formal tone" is uncalled for, his prose is a delight to read.  

Also he does not call people names in a malicious way in his blogs.  His labeling players "carebears" or similar is funny and justified.

You are choosing the wrong guy to Ad Hominem.  We are blessed to have his intellect here in our little game of a few hundred players.

I apologize for my snarky tone. I was just trying to find something mildly offensive as his arguments were opposing my small way of playing this game. I would like to see if the same doesn't happen if someone respectable suggested that every person can only operate only one account from now and one of the accounts will have to be abandoned or the devs will do that at random.

And I would like any to tell me why my arguments are wrong. I still don't understand why terraforming is so annoying.

Btw has any such discussion ever changed how and what developers implement?

Edited by Blankit - 18 Mar 2018 at 11:13
---E ---E Now selling pitchforks at The Pitchfork -Emporium. ---E ---E
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:58
Just keep it the way it is. 2 accounts is fine and proved to keep ballance in the game for 8 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Personally I don't like terraforming for some of the reasons allready mentioned. Reducing the account number is not a good solution in my opinion. Terraforming would still be a possiblillty, but easier (or with relatively less loss/effort) for large alliances.  With 2 accounts new players can screw up with one without losing all progress, which is a fantastic thing to have in a game. If the edvs want to get rid of terraforming they should look for another solution. And for multiaccounting: no one has more then 24 hours in a day or more then 7 days in a week. To keep more then 2 accounts functional for longer then 2 years one has to get without a job, wife and social life. That's more punishment then a game developer can ever get you
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 16:32
Blankit, yes, the developers have sometimes taken feedback from the community into account and changed existing game mechanics or introduced new ones.  
--One example that comes easily to mind is that caravans traveling to cities under the rainbow move at two times normal speed.  
--They also reduced the time to complete the merchants guild research (although not the cost, they should have reduced the rp cost too!).  
--They implemented food sovereignty on lakes, lochs and tarns at least partially as a result of player discussions.  
--They changed terrain bonuses for infantry troop types at least partially as a result of player discussions like "why are dwarves so hard to play".  They also changed the speed of production for t1 spear and t2 bow troops. Those changes have made gameplay of orcs and dwarves substantially different, in my opinion, with a commensurate increase in the number of players in those races.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 18:35
Blankit, somewhere in your rant, I think you completely missed my point about the $5. I don't envision it as a one-time thing for a single city. If someone wants to slowly transform all their city tiles into 7 food plots (or whatever typical 25 point distribution they desire), then $5 per city should cover it. If the city is removed via exodus or razed, the magical terraforming spell should be dispersed.

Illyriad isn't pay-to-win. That's just a clueless thing to say.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Blankit View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 21:16
First, you never mentioned this new res plot redistribution should be temporary in your original post. This makes sense now, as opposed to before.

Second, like Ruarc above mentions, terraforming makes more locations playable. Look at his poisoned isles.
---E ---E Now selling pitchforks at The Pitchfork -Emporium. ---E ---E
white willow View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote white willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:18
Two accounts is more than enough the issues in my mind are how people fudge with the sitter accounts.
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 18:10
I am satisfied with the replies you have all contributed to this poll and discussion and I have personally become wiser in my concerns.

The conclusion is not an easy one to find and the opinions, reasonings and arguments are many... When it comes to a change in this regard, the server we currently play on will, according to the majority, not benefit from allowing one player to own 4 or more than 4. I was surprised by some of the opinions of a few people but nevertheless, I see the points you make and understand the thoughts behind them.

Some other subjects came up along the way, terraforming being one of them. I think Ruarc paints the picture nicely, even though I do see some of the other comments here as good points, the map-terrain such as mountains should provide other benefits to be worthwhile. Terraforming might also have been introduced to start with, because of all these areas on the map not being very inviting without the possibility of altering them.
The more you work, the more you are rewarded is also a way to look at terraforming; as the more food you have around your cities, the bigger your city can get and the more towns you can have.

When I had created the poll, I discovered that it's possible to vote more than once and therefore making a poll is pretty pointless. The debate is what I find important here. So please ignore the Poll, although I did find it interesting how some people continued to vote for their prefered option (myself included).

PublicRelations
HumanResources
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic