Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20FEB18 - Defy Death Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eros View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 04:42
Originally posted by Tink XX Tink XX wrote:

The whole "surround yourself with plains" being the only option for decent defense ends up boxing entire alliances into one strategy.

But that's a whole different conversation.

Would it be a real forum if we didn't tangent off at every opportunity?

The more I think about it the more absurd dragging a siege engine, or 30, up a mountain, then actually making them work becomes. 

Getting it all done in 12 hours its even more outrageous Wacko
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 05:04
Keep in mind that mountain has a million troops, minimum. Many hands make short work.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:46
One of those patches I wish weren't here... Though I assume it was exploited severely. Was an odd one too, seeming to add up all levels of defy deaths of all army commanders together. But it had sense then, and it hardly does now.

I would vote up Ten's proposal for increasing DD value per level. Or introducing some crafted wonder-battle-mare that would carry its' owner out of the battle, enfluencing his defy death rolls severely.
white willow View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote white willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 14:37
since most had not been complaining about the error since 2011, its now interesting to see them complain about the fix to normal.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 17:47
Originally posted by white willow white willow wrote:

since most had not been complaining about the error since 2011, its now interesting to see them complain about the fix to normal.

The 5x equipment update made it far more powerful. As Sene speculates, a few players started really pushing the exploit hard. It's not surprising to see them complain about the fix. Several players were getting the equivalent of 1000 free t2 attack troops, per city, per day by exploiting the bug. That's more bonus troops than those cities could actually produce in a day.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 04:41
OK lemme clarify this: I had been exploiting the bug, though I was not too sure whether that was a bug or a feature. But I was utilizing it in hunting, found it far too helpful and those NPCs never seemed to complain or bother about the issue at all, you know.

Now I guess it would be groovy to separate hunting and PvP issues apart, maybe by introducing anti-DD skill or anti-DD equipment. Thus NPCs would go on enjoying the power of humanism and big armies will cease being thrashed by small armies.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 04:58
Originally posted by Sene Sene wrote:

OK lemme clarify this: I had been exploiting the bug, though I was not too sure whether that was a bug or a feature. But I was utilizing it in hunting

Now I guess it would be groovy to separate hunting and PvP issues apart, maybe by introducing anti-DD skill or anti-DD equipment. Thus NPCs would go on enjoying the power of humanism and big armies will cease being thrashed by small armies.

You needn't rely on Defy Death for hunting at all, and if you find your armies being defeated too often, then that's a non-optimal army set-up. A correctly constructed army with 200-300 units can kill a legion no problem, with plenty of units surviving. Myriads and higher, you may need to bulk up a bit more. The solution to this problem that requires zero code changes is described in this basic hunting guide. Enjoy!

Edited by Tink XX - 27 Feb 2018 at 05:01
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 10:05
Lol thx for the update, Tink, appreciate it. "A correctly constructed army with 200-300 units" is far too many unless you are attacking a very large stack. A correctly constructed hunitng army consists of no more than 61 T2 units or around 100 T1 (varies for different troop type). Number of NPCs that can be taken down with 61 elite set hugely depends on the troop type, terrain and NPC type. Rats can be killed in amounts up to 15k and more with mere 61 t2 horses on plains. 61 elite stalwart set quite easily defeat 6-7k crawlers in large woods.

But that's not what we are talking about. Mistakes happen, stack size chnages happen. In theory it's possible to send troops just enough to have a victory with one troop survivor or with no survivors at all. But if you make 10-20 hunitng runs a day like I do, mistakes do happen from time to time. And that's where DD came far too handy, saving resurrect time and precious crafted.

Edited by Sene - 27 Feb 2018 at 10:06
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 15:35
Alright, sorry for lumping you with new players who actually kill their hunting armies all the time because they don't know how to construct them in a way that doesn't kill a lot of troops. I am curious about your method (which, I assume, involves equipping every unit in your elite division to the hilt) and would like to see a report of a 61 elite army killing 10-15k rats.

I hunt quite a bit, maybe not 10-20 runs a day but 10-5 easily, but I don't optimize a hunting army to be this lean. Since troops are cheaper than crafted gear, I'm more okay with a few more units dying and using the gear primarily on commanders. All in all, it's totally possible to hunt a lot and only very occasionally need to resurrect.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 16:18
No worries, we haven't met before as far as I remember so you don't have to know me. And no, I never equip troops, it's just a total waste. I was about to bed actually, but I'll try to find a rep of 61-killing- myriad rep... I should have a couple of them. Will direct them to Tink XX then. Otherwise please mail Sene from the acc you want the reps to be sent to.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic