Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20FEB18 - Defy Death Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 03:58
The simple solution would be to raise Defy Death from 1% per level to 5%.

As long as the rolls are truly independent--which the fixed RNG code should ensure--any attempt to spam elite Heroism commanders will quickly run out of steam.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 05:42
I also like the idea of rewarding for high level commanders, but increasing the DD skill for high level commanders to approach 100% survival is not very appealing. Immortal commanders really do break the game. Even one hour pause like DeathDealer suggested provides almost no cushion against elite attacks during a siege.

At the same time, these super-commanders are so impractical due to the revival times that it makes sense to sweeten up the deal - after all it's not that easy to get that much XP!

Perhaps instead of increasing DD, there could be a different bonus that kicks in past a certain commander level, somewhere around 40-50, and keeps increasing every level until it reaches 80-90%. It could be a recovery speed-up bonus that's adjusted by the ratio of the defense/attack scores in the combat that has killed the commander.

Example
. Level 50 commander, 10% speed recovery bonus reduces the resurrection time by 5 hours. The commander was used to hunt a myriad rats, got unexpectedly killed, and the attack/defense score ratio was 0.8. The resulting bonus is 10% x 0.8 = 8%.

For a high level commander a maxed out recovery bonus (e.g. 80%), resurrection time would be slashed by near-80% in a close combat. But the more uneven the combat, the less resurrection time would be reduced, eventually reverting to what it would be without the bonus. Even if the ratio was 1:100 or lower, the recovery bonus might need a floor around 1-2% so that the super-commander still gets just a little bit of an edge.

For commanders in defensive armies where multiple armies are stacked on a square, the recovery bonus would be calculated as base recovery bonus x (attack/total defense of the stack).  

Edited by Tink XX - 22 Feb 2018 at 05:44
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 05:54
Spektor's idea is good too - increase the defy death roll but then throttle it either by pre-combat HP or by the defense/attack scores ratio, so that "death by many paper cuts" tactitioners get penalized.

Edited by Tink XX - 22 Feb 2018 at 05:56
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 19:16
Sigh!

I suppose that if you play a game long enough, you eventually get to play all roles available. To date I have never attacked the devs but here goes.

Defy death worked in a particular way. It may not have been the way intended but it had worked that way for 8 years. Wars had been won or lost on these mechanics. Strategies had been developed on these mechanics. It was the same for everyone. The 10% survival rate is not worth the 10 hours revival time - for me to reset my live commanders will cost me 1350 prestige - no thanks!

In the middle of a war, at the behest of The SINdicate, the devs have altered the dynamics to reduce the effectiveness of elite attacks against big sieging armies without consulting the game at large. Its effect, if not its intent, favours one side. It stinks.

Another thing in the game which is not as intended is the level of bare faced trolling that goes on - from the game rules: posts with the intent to provoke or disrupt other players aka "trolling" are not allowed. Over the past few months, I have been taunted, called names, had sexual innuendos made against me and generally trolled at an industrial level that goes way beyond fair comment or analysis of my game tactics and the devs only response is to suggest I block these people in GC, so I cannot see myself being trolled but everyone else can.

Double sigh!
AdmiralRage View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AdmiralRage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 19:46
How about creating an gear item that can improves defy death? Like 25%? That way an elite commander could get an extra 50% in survivability in addition to to base 10%. There would be a drawback to adding more survivability as you wouldn't be able to gear combat items. If that doesn't work, then I think defy death needs to be increased to 5% or something.
Blankit View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:00
+1 to AdmiralRage's idea of defy death boosting gear.

As Almost Balanced shared his unrelated laundry list, I think I also get to get mine cleared.

You know what's cooler than a commander? A general. Each town gets two generals, and only a multi-divisional army gets can have a general (as there can be only two multi-divisional armies from a town). And since stuck-up generals only talk to commanders, their ability should only aid commanders. It can be this defy death, or a whole bunch of other things.

Edited by Blankit - 22 Feb 2018 at 20:01
---E ---E Now selling pitchforks at The Pitchfork -Emporium. ---E ---E
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:07
Triple sigh!!!!!!!

Just when we thought it was safe Huc comes back with more complaining. The devs actually do sometimes fix blatant flaws in the game. War is where most flaws are found. Deal with it. This is not the first war where flaws were identified and fixed.
Kaggen is my human half
Grom View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:13
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

I have been taunted, called names, had sexual innuendos made against me and generally trolled at an industrial level that goes way beyond fair comment or analysis of my game tactics and the devs only response is to suggest I block these people in GC, so I cannot see myself being trolled but everyone else can.

On behalf of the colonist empire I would like to respond to the disturbing revelations made in today's forum post by Hucbold. No player, regardless of gender, should suffer sexual innuendo to the point of feeling harassed. I hope that the entire community comes together to prevent such a tragic event from occurring again. #huctoo
Morose View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:24
My only comment is this:

In any game, basing strategy on game bugs is considered exploiting and bad form.  I understand the frustration of something being broken for so long, but like any exploit it WILL get fixed eventually.  No matter what side you may be on, the ability to send wave after wave of commanders that never die and are as powerful as a thousand troops each is downright game breaking.

A town under siege could send 5 commanders and 240-750 troops every 25 minutes against a siege over and over and over again.  Those troops would hit 10 times over their power level, thereby giving the defending player tens of thousands of essentially free troops.  The fact that this is even an outrage that it is fixed is mind boggling.

You can read what the description says.  You know what it is supposed to do.  Even if it didn't work that way, you chose to exploit a bug for your own gain.
GM Cerberus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Creativity & Community Czar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Cerberus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:52
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

Another thing in the game which is not as intended is the level of bare faced trolling that goes on - from the game rules: posts with the intent to provoke or disrupt other players aka "trolling" are not allowed. Over the past few months, I have been taunted, called names, had sexual innuendos made against me and generally trolled at an industrial level that goes way beyond fair comment or analysis of my game tactics and the devs only response is to suggest I block these people in GC, so I cannot see myself being trolled but everyone else can.

I'd like to take a moment to address this.  

If we ever see any form of harassment or receive reports of harassment, we take the offenses and accusations very seriously and will investigate and dole out punishment as necessary.  As a rule, we do not discuss said punishment with anyone but the offender.  We also make recommendations to the person being harassed that they block the person harassing them, it is the entire reason the block function exists.  If someone is harassing you or saying something you find offensive your first step should be to block them, and then send us a report about the offender so that we can investigate the allegation.

I'd like to point everyone to this thread: https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/chat-and-community-enforcement-information_topic10398.html ; Which covers our enforcement policy.  Namely: No one on the GM staff will discuss publicly, or with individuals in private, the reasons for moderation, silencing or the status of suspended accounts with anyone other than the account holder themselves. 

To claim that we do nothing about harassment is irresponsible and is a claim founded on not having all the facts.  The only time you will ever see that someone has been silenced is if the automated profanity filter catches someone; if it is a GM Silence that silence is between the GM and the offender.

Regards,

GM Cerberus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic