illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High End Dwarf Commanders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dabrelis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabrelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High End Dwarf Commanders
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 06:43
Hi,

I kind of know what I want for dwarf commanders.
Axmen based Defender - maxed for personal and group defense, focus on infantry defense
Packsman based Defender - same but with focus on Cavalry defense.
Stalwart based Attacker - maxed for attack with focus on bloodlust.

I also know there are extremely maxed commanders around, but their resurrection penalties (time penalty) are huge.

So my question is - for practical purposes in a High End war how would a typical (effective and efficient) dwarf commander look like? What level, which skill set?
Equipment I believe terrain based is best for them until I can afford Silversteel production?
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 07:40
For large-scale infantry attack, a level 25 Stalwart with 15 Bloodlust, 10 Forced March. A couple points of healing and vitality are optional.

For defense (leading a bow or spear army), it will be the division skills of Interlocked Shields 10, Tortoise Formation 10, Square Formation 10. Depending on which t1 commander you picked (sword, bow, cavalry) you will level an extra 5 points in one of those skills. Some Vitality, some healing, and of course Forced March 10.

There's a whole article on my blog about matching commanders and armies.

Equipment is for small scale fighting. Commander skills like Heroism are irrelevant in large battles. The only equipment you might need for a large army PvP commander is light gear for a slow commander leading faster troops.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Dabrelis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabrelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:12
Thanks! I am reading your blog regularly. Just wanted to see examples. Thanks.

Also..
Tried to make case for heroism, but yeah, not worth it mathematically.
60 times attack, that is like 60 stalwarts extra. Ok, if best attack gear equipped, you can multiply it by 2-3, which still is peanuts compared to size of armies, which I imagine is 1000s?
Actually it makes sense when compared to RL, the bigger armies the less important becomes 1on1 battle skills or equipment of commanders and it becomes more about leading the men.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 14:41
Dabrelis - yeah. Defensive armies north of 40k each and offensive ones above 20k are common in these battles. That kinda defines the bottom end of army size for a military player.
Dabrelis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabrelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 16:03
Originally posted by Tink XX Tink XX wrote:

Dabrelis - yeah. Defensive armies north of 40k each and offensive ones above 20k are common in these battles. That kinda defines the bottom end of army size for a military player.
Those numbers are from heat of the battle or standing armies? 
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 20:48
Heat of battle. Unless you've taken massive casualties, of course.

In extended peacetime, it's common for PvP players to carry 200000 upkeep worth of troops, per city. Military buildings cut that cost in half. You do a farm slide on a 20000 pop military city, you will get maybe +50000 gold after sov. Your gold farm account can easily supply the remaining 50000 deficit.

Per city, that will be around 200000 kobolds, 100000 sentinels, 75000 stalwarts, 50000 knights.

That depends on account configuration, of course. A production-focused account will carry fewer troops, while a tournament or size-based account will carry more.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic