illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Devending against stronger players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devending against stronger players
    Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 14:27
Seconded.
TC will teach you what you need to become effective at repelling unwanted visitors.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 00:27
I'd listen to Ten Kulch - he is pretty much accepted as being a bit of an expert at this fighting/diplo stuff Wink

Yes, this game is complex but then again it can probably offer you a lot more than a much simpler game can. While the gap between you and your assailant might seem to be growing at the moment keep in mind that growth does level off later on in the game and that is when you can catch them up. What you do then is up to you.
glumetzul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glumetzul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 21:32
Indeed, having someone help dirrectly in game would be an easy solution, but not a very satisfying one. I hope to get by without having to resort to that :)

From what I can see, there's not a lot of damage to be taken from either armies or spies/thieves. I can as well carry on like that and still make progress each day, but I don't like the idea that my resources will be part of what will help him widen the gap between us.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 21:09
I'm sure that many people have already mailed you to offer their "help", by which they mean threatening the offending player. This is perhaps effective, but it also reduces you to their pet, which I sense is not really what you want.

If you wish to learn actual self-defense and how to fight for yourself, I can teach you that. Keep in mind that your assailant can only truly damage your city with siege engines. Even at your size,there are a number of highly effective strategies to deal with troop, diplomat, and magical attacks.

If you want my help, forward me a battle report via in-game mail, and I can talk you through it.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
glumetzul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glumetzul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:41
Yeah, I know, no offense taken. But you know as well as I do that oftenly, noob isn't just supposed to mean "new player" anymore :P
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:35
ah, when I say noob, I simply mean a new player. Its just what I've always called them and I mean no offence by it.
glumetzul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glumetzul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:33
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Check your forum messages :)
Yeah, glad to be entertaining to some guys. Anyway, not gonna try to run from the "noob" title, but just because I'm new in this game doesn't necessarily make me a retard as well :)

It's a very complex system and it's not the most intuitive game ever but I can manage.
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:20
Hope DurcTools have column named assholes of Illyriad

:-)
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:10
Check your forum messages :)
glumetzul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glumetzul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 19:36
Hello,

It seems I got the honour of being a target to a stronger player in my area. It all started with an attack quite a whike ago and about 55k of each of the basic resources stolen. I didn't pay much attention back then but decided to ask for advice on the chat and there were even some helpful players who offered to reimburse me the resources I lost.

Second time it happened a week or two later and this time I made the perhaps uninspired decision to message the guy and ask to stop attacking me because I am active and will do my best to overcome him in the future. Ok, it sounded threattening and it was lame, I do realise, but I thought he wasn't gonna bother with me anymore.

Well... Since then, I've had a number of thieves or saboteurs sent to my town on a daily basis. Knowing that relatively new players don't really have many problems I ignored most of my defense up to that point but then I started developing some sort of diplomancy countermeasures (some 100 units of each and a defensive spell).

Well, not sure if those defensive efforts mattered for him but next day I woke up with a spell on my town. The frost one reducing my crop output by 6%. And it seems I'd need about 1+ million mana to displell it or detect the caster which is a bit much with my current output of 170 mana per hour.

At any rate, yesterday I got a new official visit from his saboteurs, thieves and army. I wasn't even sure if it was the same guy, but since the army and spies came about at the same time, I guess it's been the same person all the while.

So with that in mind, I realise I can't really compete with him at the moment. I have about 1.2k population in my two cities, he's at about 15k over 4 towns. But I am a really competitive player and really really want to stand up to him on my own. Not sure I can get as active as I used to be 10 years ago in the ages of Travian but still I'm not one to bow my head.

So my question is what exactly would be your advice moving forward. How can I pose enough of a problem to him defensively so he will consider that attacking me is not worth it anymore? And do I stand any chance to overcome him in the foreseeable future? Does him being part of an alliance matter, can I expect that his buddies will crush me if sometime in the future I will strike back? Should I try to join an alliance as well at this point?

Also, before I joined this game I remember reading that attacking smaller players is frowned upon, which is why I didn't even bother until now to develop my army or my diplomancy units. But I'm not sure if this is a golden rule or just something players do out of habbit. So my question is, could I also profit from smaller or inactive players around me in order to accelerate my development? I remember that in Travian all was fair game and that was good for me back then because I enjoyed the "predator" life. Here I avoided that at all costs but I'm not sure if it really was a good idea. After all, my guy is stealing resources not only from me but from others as well so I cannont be expected to close the gap this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic