illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marketplace sales data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marketplace sales data
    Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 16:03
Manufactured goods often sell at a discount because they don't have an easily identifiable cash cost.  Most people regard all production as free.  Harvesting never really factors in the cost of maintaining miners, skinners and so on and expenditure on them is ignored.  The only things that aren't free are bought things and some of those can just be stolen even though t2 thieves have horrendous maintenance costs.  I buy lots of many things in the market but mainly to provide liquidity to the market.  I have absorbed loads of production particularly for things without a current use.  But the devs are glacially slow when it comes to incorporating new recipes,  Maybe one day eh?
Omega View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 04:00
As someone who uses the marketplace a lot, probably as a key part of my account strategy (and because the mechanics behind the whole thing excites me) I'm basically looking to knock down whatever res production buildings aren't making me much gold and replace them with more lucrative productions. For example, bows aren't the fastest but they sell really cheap, compared to beer which is the opposite. Some hard data to back up this would give me the confidence to prestige a few buildings down and new ones up.

I tried looking through the transaction log of my hubs, but when I copied that into a spreadsheet it didn't pull the item image across which scuppered my plans. While the logs also don't tell me profitability, I can at least work out average volumes per month, and if I copy them regularly I can build a running average to then cross check against my own rough averages of what I've seen the prices linger at, or using the price history data currently available.

My suggestion thus far: Something like the transaction log that records all the transactions that takes place in any given hub, but with different fields. The feed could be separate and be some kind of Sales Log. Instead of showing 1000 cows outgoing and 500,000 gold incoming as two separate logs, as it would be relating to the same sale it would be included in one line as one entry.

With a bit of front-end trickery, I've mocked up what it could look like using the transaction log as the template, but this is just one possibility. The 'Tax Paid' column I couldn't edit as the code there wasn't text-based, otherwise, it would show the taxes paid and I cba to rewrite it front end. Some kind of raw data feed could also work, though despite having some technical knowledge I haven't worked with rss/xml to know how it would work for something like this. If the content is available within the game, then maybe an export to csv option would be another option.

I'm posting this here to see if anyone else has any suggestions, variations, can see any limitations, other opportunities. :)

extra: I've also started putting together a spreadsheet to work out the cost of each item when building it, so while saddles may retail at an attractive 1k gold per item, the prereqs for a saddle are also quite expensive. Whether this is something that can be factored in or not is a little trickier since the hubs don't necessarily know if I've built the items or if I'm re-selling them, though I'm hoping I can capture all the data I need in a basic spreadsheet to work out stuff like net profit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic