FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMajor Release 14SEP10 - World Topography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Shrapnel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 20:22
Poor GMs just can't win.  It's always when are we gonna get this?  When are we gonna get that?  What's taking so long?  Well, you guys actually came out too soon with this change.  I found a sweet spot of Sov rich squares and I was going to settle it, but now it's gone. :(  S'okay, I think there may actually be more sweet spots on the map now though.  Think I've already found a new super cool spot.
lep View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 20:36
LOL, yeah, I think this change is good and for the better. But its made future plans rather chaotic.

This free mover for every existing settlement will be a nightmare though. clans moving together. and dozens of players all wanting same sweet resource rich spot... LOL is gonnabe a major headache I reckon and I don't envy the game staff doing it.

If I stay where I am my 6th settlement will be weaker than planned but my capital has been made better :-)
bartimeus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 21:42
I cann't wait to see the map as a whole.

I'm an elf in mountain so I hope I will be able to buy darves units (millitary, trade) as they will undouptedly do better in this terrain (speed, effectivness).
Bartimeus, your very best friend.
[ZF]GeoffGoB View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 21:42
I'm also a dwarf and all around me is blue, not pretty lake graphics just blocks of blue squares. In theory there is no way across it, although everyone's caravans and diplo units seem to be making good progress (could be back stroke).

Is this a glitch or did I just become the first merdwarf?

121 -81

Confused
bartimeus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 21:47
Thats awesome, it means you will get a free painless "move-your-city-around". You should start looking for a really good place to move your city.
Bartimeus, your very best friend.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 22:05
Originally posted by bartimeus bartimeus wrote:

Thats awesome, it means you will get a free painless "move-your-city-around". You should start looking for a really good place to move your city.

You might want to wait till after tomorrow before you start looking in earnest - some of the square assignments (as people have noted there are mountains out there that are 5|5|5|5|5) aren't yet entirely correct, and we will be releasing a viewable "entire continent" world map which people might wish to peruse.

Best,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 22:07
Originally posted by [ZF [ZF wrote:

GeoffGoB]I'm also a dwarf and all around me is blue, not pretty lake graphics just blocks of blue squares. In theory there is no way across it, although everyone's caravans and diplo units seem to be making good progress (could be back stroke).

Is this a glitch or did I just become the first merdwarf?

121 -81

Confused

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

The movement of troops, diplomats, and trade are *currently* unaffected by the topography, so please feel free to have a laugh at your troops and trade caravans as they walk on water.

Please read the first post, which explains that pathfinding etc aren't in place - and won't be for some time.

Best,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 22:24
Originally posted by Akita Akita wrote:

Seems like at least some squares directly N/S/E/W of cities were changed (either in type, resource count or both) instead of remaining unaffected as they were supposed to, while some cities themselves have changed terrain type but retained the initially settled resource distribution.

No idea how many people were affected by this oddity.

I've investigated this further, and my apologies for mis-speaking on the last page!

Many cities have had their underlying terrain changed, to bring them into line with the new resource type distribution. 

For example, if your city was on a Abundant Clay (which was 3|7|5|5|5 before), now that Abundant Clay is 5|7|5|3|5 instead, the terrain type that your city was on was changed to Clay Seam to make your current resource distribution match the new one.

This change should not affect anything else - your terrain combat defense bonuses and your resource distribution are the same as they were.

Best,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 14 Sep 2010 at 22:25
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 22:31
I think the new map rocks and I can't wait to see the World Map when you release it... Lot's of planning in the works!!!
col0005 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 22:41
This is going to be awsome. however I belive the most vied over sov squares would mostly be dolmens. It may have been better if no dolmens were added or removed. It evened out in my case however it seems a bit odd to allow the very large players a major advantage in that they may now have close access to extra food in all well established cities. Also I totally agree with fishing. Unless the current sov mechanic is change being near a river would be a disadvantage due to less nearby squares to claim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic