illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding the Corruption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 23:02
May I suggest to schedule a synchronized arrival of

• a significant amount of troops,
  • led by commanders with a significant total amount of XP,
  • on a full moon

- in order to check if quantity + XP + moon phase at least adds a corrupted tile on the map?

Remember tentacles escape from cities on full moon, after HoC stops beating ...

Edited by Hopper - 09 Jan 2017 at 23:04
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 00:49
Commanders that go to HoC cannot be resurrected.  It's possible that some people would want to sacrifice such a commander for this purpose, but your pool of volunteers will likely be limited.
Freyja View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:12
Tentacles escaped from towns on the 1st NEW moon after the heart stopped beating, and the New Moon is mentioned in the system message that players got when that happened.

Other parts of the quest could be based on other moon phases though. I wouldn't rule it out.

I totally agree with Rill that people are not going to want to send the best commanders, and they tell me so. All the time. That's like the first thing some people say to me when I'm talking about feeding the heart, like before I get a wise ideas or anything. They are also not going to send units that were tourney prizes. Although, Nesse did send his elemental units and they are the only thing that has ever come back.

Someone said, here in a forum thread, that they figured it took 250K of attack to corrupt a square, and didn't think it was based on the number of units. I sent an army with slightly over 250K attack (about 30K kobolds) and nothing happened. I've sent several of those and nothing happened. I tried upgrading heroism and close quarter penetration (for spear unit attack), and sent another army with 250K of attack, but with a commander fully upgraded for attack skills and less troops. Nothing. And many others have said similar things and tried things like I did. So, I'm not convinced that it is attack, and think it's an insane amount of units.

A lot of us have been talking lately about the moon phases and a coordinated arrival, so let's do it. The next full moon is February 11 and we can do a coordinated arrival for February instead of sending on the 1st. Many of us will need to send in the first few days of the month anyway, so it won't really be that different from what was already planned.

Let's go with 00:01 on Feb 11 as the arrival date and time, and we'll see what happens.

Batmap View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 06:44
--Mostly I have questions, but also some observations.

"A coordinated arrival is a good idea also, and I think we could do both methods. I was thinking that since many of us cluster towns, both individually and as alliances, that a bunch of armies sent from the same general location would also arrive about the same day and/or time. My goal was to keep things simple, at least at first, and focus on generating support for this project. However, if others want to get together and coordinate an arrival, I'm all for that idea too."

-- If a staging area was created, how long can soldiers stay at a spot/town/etc, whether it is your alliance's town or otherwise? For the sake of logistics, would it be necessary for each participant in the HoC quest to have a town created nearby? At the very least, if they have enough levels in their Consulate, they may be able to see the movement of thieves around the area, if that occurs. Then it might be a much more simple task to coordinate attacks.

"4. There is a relationship between one step of the quest and a moon phase, that we are confident about, and most of do think that other parts are related to moon phases. But we don't have evidence of any others. The tentacles escape from towns on the first New Moon after the HoC stopped beating."

-- Does it take a full moon to get it beating and a new moon to spawn the tentacles? Have there been any HoC attempts during a full moon or is it only started on the first of the month? Full Moon: Unutterable chaos takes full hold over the land.

"5. To keep tentacles from escaping from towns, we don't know what to do. From talking to players who did the quest in 2014, they all had support armies in their towns because they were told to get ready for an attack. No one said that they sent thieves for support, and I think this is a good idea since one of the messages suggested that thieves were the culprits. They also said that they did not surround their towns until after tentacles escaped and were growing on the squares around their towns."

-- If a settler can create a town nearby, then maybe a Consulate with thieves may allow vision of the aforementioned thieves. The potential for quick resupply may also help.
--What about sending settlers in to start a town close/nearby the temple locations, if for nothing else as staging areas? Or create three towns near each of the temples, by whatever alliance that would send the most to each square for feeding the Heart of Corruption, and use them for staging areas for everyone to use. Send more to temple 1, 2, or 3 depending on the status of the quest at the HoC temples. If a Non-Aggression Pact may help, then do that.

-- Point is, landing them all at the staging area would allow for a faster and much more coordinated 'attack' of the suicide troops into the HoC. How many staging towns are needed to get things rolling? Might I suggest also using a nearby market hub or some other neutral location everyone can send all the units to.

"Just occupy the surrounding 8 squares with armies.  Does not have to the same player armies."

--So, what are the square locations for the temples and corruption, or does that not stay consistent?

-------------------
From http://www.puzzleslogic.com/illy/

"Heart Of Corruption

HoC (Audrey) was beating 2 times: 1. Apr - 5. Apr 2012 and 19. Oct - 23. Oct 2012
When beating it has 73+9 corrupted squares and 3 nearby temples are also "corrupted". hoc comparison gif

Youtube video from 20th November 2013 HoC feeding: http://youtu.be/zvp05MGhiRA
download: hoc_20nov.mp4 (24mb) each frame (illy screenshot) is done 30 seconds after every full minute

4 new corrupted squares in video are added at: 19th 17:45, 19th 22:36, 20th 04:22 and 20th 20:05

Experiment: 30 identical armies (lvl 0 stalwart commander + 1149 stalwarts) where hitting from 19th 22:03 to 19th 23:30 every 3 minutes. At 22:36 (after 12 armies) new square appear. Following 18 armies with 20700 stalwarts where not enough to corrupt another square (so theory about 50k exp for 1 square is not correct).
Next square was corrupted at 4:21 - 4:22 after Audrey was fed with many more units. From my alt (yellow armies) it got 9 diplomatic groups with 54702 scouts hitting 3:03 - 4:20 and 2 armies with 2844 charioteers and 1677 knights hitting 4:03 and 4:21. Around another 10 armies where hitting before new square appeared at 4:22.

My next experiment will be using only scouts but to get some results I first need maybe 200k of them."

-- http://lunaf.com/lunar-calendar/2012/04/01/ Moon phase on 1 April 2012 Sunday is Waxing Gibbous. Notice Waxing Gibbous ended on 6 April 2012 when the Full Moon started and was only from 6-7 Apr 2012.
-- http://lunaf.com/lunar-calendar/2012/10/19/ Oct 19 had Waxing Crescent, Oct 22 had First Quarter.
-- Twelve Armies of 1150 each = 13,800
-- Eighteen Armies of 1150 each = 20,700
-- Ten Armies of 1150 each = 11,500
-- Total = 46,000
--More testing may be required to find the sweet spot for troop numbers and moon phase timing.

*Note: some minor editing was completed

Edited by Batmap - 11 Jan 2017 at 06:53
Grandel View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 18:18
I'm in.  Been sending a few thousand scouts every couple days to try and wake the heart.  Still trying to get the right response from the fortune teller.  Any idea if the moon phase effects her response?
Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:14
no moon phase, for the Fortune Teller answer:

the conditions to be met are linked to:
  • the # of crafting researches you've achieved in the city sending to the FT
  • the # of visits from ditto city to the FT (it seems you need to send a first time, then a second to get the opening to Duraz Karag)

Edited by Hopper - 12 Jan 2017 at 10:14
Grandel View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 14:20
Just received the FT quest start message Big smile  I'm on my way.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 15:14
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere. Wouldn't it be easier for one of the quest leaders to set up a production-focused town right near the Heart, and just start making daily sacrifices of basic scouts? It's way less expensive for the rest of us to send horses to supply that town, rather than build the scouts ourselves. There shouldn't be much upkeep if someone is constantly feeding them all to Audrey.

If that doesn't generate points fast enough, maybe a few cities would do the job.

It seems very unlikely that occasional random feedings will result in real progress towards another heart beating event.

Edited by Brandmeister - 12 Jan 2017 at 15:15
Batmap View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 02:49
<deleted>

edit:

That movie/play was where the players got the name Audrey from.

Subject: RE: Question: HoC Clues
Received: 13 Jan 2017 03:05
Original Message:

Is the movie, Little Shop of Horrors the source of any of the Heart of Corruption quest/event?

Edited by Batmap - 13 Jan 2017 at 03:45
Grandel View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 19:09
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/the-greatest-quest-on-illyriad_topic5771_page1.html

From the test in the quest it appears that the tentacles will escape since it seems like they become the creature you need to defend against and the escape is likely not preventable.  I'm not sure if trying to keep them in is the key however a few questions arise that I don't see specifically mentioned in the forums:
1. Did anyone have a vault built (and at what level) when the tentacles escaped?
2. Has anyone contacted the FT again following the events to see if anything happens?  Or repeated trips to other quest locations identified to see if more information is given?
3. What about collecting more tentacles to replace what was lost?
4. Crazy thought, what happens if you send the tentacles to the heart?  Or to another place of high sacrifice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic