illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding the Corruption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Freyja View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding the Corruption
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 01:15

Feeding the Corruption Day - 1st day of each month

Many players of the greatest game would like to solve the quest from the Fortune Teller that also has to do with the Heart of Corruption in Kumala. Information about the quest can be found on my profile. 

However, feeding the Heart of Corruption and making the corruption spread enough to make the Heart of Corruption start beating is an incredibly difficult task and it takes a community to do it. We can do it. This community can. We've done it before, and we can do it again.

I would like to start a monthly ritual of sending troops to the Heart of Corruption in order to encourage and remind everyone who wants to help with this enormous task. I have chosen the 1st day of each month as the day, and want to start on January 1.

On January 1st of the new year (year 1040, in Illy time), any player who wishes to participate will send any amount of troops to the Heart of Corruption. We will send en masse, and the armies will arrive in Kumala at various times throughout the month.

Players can check to see if the corruption has spread using this spreadsheet provided courtesy of ubluntu. Note that it will only be updated when ubluntu updates it, not automatically, but he does update it regularly. 

Heart of Corrupton status spreadsheet

Participation is completely optional. 

Commanders will not return and cannot be resurrected. They will be gone for good.

Players who want to do the quest should send troops every month. This quest will never be solved unless we make more attempts and that means getting the Heart of Corruption to beat more often. 

Players who do not want to do the quest, but would like to help their friends and/or the Illy community with this aspect of the quest, are encouraged to send troops if they are able to do so. There is no pressure or obligation, although we would greatly appreciate any help we can get. 

Illy is not a city building game, but rather, it is a community building game and some activities require the whole community working together. This is one of those things. I believe that we can solve the quest, by working together and by not giving up, and by making the Heart of Corruption beat so we can try and try again.

January 1, 1040 First Day of Feeding the Corruption

Be a part of the greatest community and participate in this monthly community event

Join the chat about quests, mysteries, discoveries and anything Illy  (no registration or signup required)

http://www.chatzy.com/23005275352973

Heart of Corruption on the map:

https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-994/-824

Freyja (quest info)

https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Player/Profile/261298

Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 07:54
Coordinated Audrey wakening

seems a good idea!

I'd suggest to try and send for coordinated arrivals, at set dates (beginning of month, lunar phase…) instead a a steady trickle…

Schedulers such as

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1erx2bn5_hhkVSwnZ5V5b672HDrQ5siV8oaeSZQ_WXJA/edit?usp=sharing

can be useful to get a list of sending date/time data.

Edited by Hopper - 20 Dec 2016 at 07:55
Freyja View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 13:26
A coordinated arrival is a good idea also, and I think we could do both methods. I was thinking that since many of us cluster towns, both individually and as alliances, that a bunch of armies sent from the same general location would also arrive about the same day and/or time. My goal was to keep things simple, at least at first, and focus on generating support for this project. However, if others want to get together and coordinate an arrival, I'm all for that idea too.  

This thread would be a good place to open the lines of communication for those who want to coordinate an arrival.

Some members of the community would also like to keep track of how many units are being sent and the arrival dates, so that they can try to figure out how the feeding mechanism really works. This is something we know a little bit about, but there is more that we don't know about how to make the heart beat.

The goal is to determine what it takes to make squares become corrupted and for the Heart of Corruption to start beating. This has NOT been figured out completely and there is a lot that we still do not know about how to make the heart start beating. One theory is that a certain amount of units needs to be fed within a certain time period. Another theory is that the required amount of units must be sent from a certain number of players, making it a community-involved process.

To help these players, I made a simple form that anyone can use to submit unit count, unit type and arrival date. That is the only information that is collected. And anyone can view the results in a spreadsheet.

I encourage everyone who is feeding the heart to submit their unit counts because it just might help one of us figure out a critical piece of the puzzle that we've been missing.

submission form:
https://forms.zohopublic.com/zohome180/form/FeedingtheCorruption/formperma/a29M8F9B120jdhd89F925MB01

submission responses:
https://forms.zohopublic.com/zohome180/report/FeedingtheCorruptionSubmissions/reportperma/h444jj9fem9C0H18fja0mjKhJ9K82f692G3J243222285A6jK0

These links are also on my profile, as well as information about the quest and the HoC.

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 06:17
I think this is a great idea. If enough of you are willing to send troops and other units to die and make enough noise and posts about it you might just convince the devs to complete the programming for the discoveries and get them to actually make the heart start beating again for a bit by switching it on.

WinkWinkWinkWinkWink
Kaggen is my human half
Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 08:02
Wink Audrey could be seen as an in-game embedded alarm clock for devs ? (or defibrillator? more accurately)
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 21:32
Do we have evidence that it is the players that awake Audrey?  I am under the impression, which could be entirely false, that the HoC is activated by the DEVS?  Have we definitive proof that we awaken her?  How about the length of time that she remains awake?  The two previous awakenings were not of the same duration.

For new adventures in this exercise... please review how many diplo missions you can have active at the same time once the HoC awakens (to earn tentacles).  Do what you can to maximize this number from the cities that you will use to poke for tentacles.

Lastly... Is there an organized plan for those of us with the 5 tentacles from each race?  What are we each doing to keep them from escaping our cities?

Randomness...

Is there a relationship between the phase of the moon and when "food" arrives at the HoC?

Good luck!

Wartow

Freyja View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 11:58
1. What makes the HoC start beating?
The devs do not activate it. It is player activated by feeding it. The feeding is something that we are still investigating and we are trying to figure out exactly what it takes, and that is one of the reasons why we need to get the HoC beating more often and why I want to do this every month. We need more data and more chances to experiment, otherwise we are merely guessing and speculating.

There is no evidence that the devs activate the HoC and they have assurred us that the game and quest is working as it should. The quest is incredibly difficult to figure out and solve, and we've only had the one small group of players make it past the point of sending messengers to Duraz Karag and had tentacles escape from their towns. That only happened once in 2014 and it's hard to make a theory based on something that happened only once over 2 years ago.

What we have been able to figure out is on my profile. Those notes and timeline were put together by me, Alcie, ubluntu, Ryklaw, demdigs, Epidemic and several others. Alcie and I have tried to put in notes about what we know for sure and what we are still trying to figure out, and what theories we are aware of. Much of the difficulty was in trying to remember details, and we also lost some of the players who did the quest in 2014, along with much of their information.

2. Heartbeat Duration
The HoC beat for 3 days the first time, but we only had Elgea back then. The BL was released in June 2014 and in September was when they had tentacles escape from their towns. At that point, the devs extended the duration of the heartbeat cycle and adjusted the quest message to coincide with the change.

The duration was different for the 2 times that the heart has beaten since the duration was extended, but I can't recall how many days. There is enough time for players in all corners of the map to get units to Kumala while the heart is beating, and some of us have speculated that it might depend on if we keep feeding it or not. This is an aspect we don't know a lot about.

3. Congruent Diplomatic Missions
Thanks for the reminder, Wartow.

The total number of allowed diplomatic missions that can be in motion at the same time is the combined levels of the Consulate and any Foreign Offices. With a lvl 20 Consulate and 1 lvl 20 Foreign Office, the maximum allowed missions is 40.

Some people have asked me if it was necessary/important to send diplos 1 at a time, which is how most of us have sent diplos in the past. I doubt the devs would have put a limit on the number of allowed congruent missions if it was necessary to send 1 at a time, so IMHO, it does not affect the drop ratio for corrupted tentacles. But again, we need more opportunities to test these theories.

4. There is a relationship between one step of the quest and a moon phase, that we are confident about, and most of do think that other parts are related to moon phases. But we don't have evidence of any others. The tentacles escape from towns on the first New Moon after the HoC stopped beating.

I've looked at all the previous dates that squares became corrupted and noted the moon phases for each, but did not notice any patterns. But I also don't know how many units were sent and when they arrived, except for what I sent. This is another thing that makes it difficult for any one person to investigate, and why it takes the community working together and sharing notes.

5. To keep tentacles from escaping from towns, we don't know what to do. From talking to players who did the quest in 2014, they all had support armies in their towns because they were told to get ready for an attack. No one said that they sent thieves for support, and I think this is a good idea since one of the messages suggested that thieves were the culprits. They also said that they did not surround their towns until after tentacles escaped and were growing on the squares around their towns.

I think thief support and surrounding towns with armies would both be good ideas, but don't know for sure since it's only happened the one time. This is something I'd like to talk about more so we can come up some theories and things to try, before it happens again. Since there is a quest message saying to keep the tentacles safe in our towns, I think we definitely need to do something, although it's hard to say what that something is.

eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 14:38
What about blockades on towns with tentacles in? Has that been tried to stop them from escaping?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 16:14
I think putting armies around the towns before the tentacles escape is a good idea.  Not sure if a blockade is necessary. Maybe just occupation.

In terms of sending units to the HOC, it may be useful to remember that trade units can be sent as well, iirc.  These can be sped up with prestige.  The main problem there is that there are a limited number of trade units (but not trade missions) per city, but this limit is greater than the number of diplo missions, and cotters are relatively fast to rebuild (although they require more prestige to speed).
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 12:35
Just occupy the surrounding 8 squares with armies.  Does not have to the same player armies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic