Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAQ Suggestions
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 01:19
As many of you have probably noticed, our official game FAQ here on the forums could use some updating. So I'm turning to you, the Illyriad community, for suggestions on what should be added. Many of you have been playing for quite some time and have probably seen new players ask similar questions repeatedly. Others of you are newer players yourself who can easily remember times when you might have been confused. Taking from that experience, what sorts of questions do you think would be useful for our FAQ?

A few things to keep in mind when thinking of questions are:

1 - The FAQ serves a very different purpose than our wonderful player-created guides. While guides tend to recommend the best path for play, the FAQ should be more focused on "how things work." It will serve not as a replacement for these guides by any means, but rather an easy-to-reference supplement.

2 - The audience for the FAQ is generally very new players. So, some of the questions that we add may seem very elementary or obvious to an experienced player, but that is OK. We shouldn't even assume that the players who would turn to our FAQ for help would have even paid attention to the tutorial. (For shame, I know!) ;) 

So if you have any ideas, throw them out there and we can work together to update the FAQ. If you have a question idea, feel free to post it with or without the corresponding answer (if you don't know it). Thank you all in advance for your help and contributions!

Example:

Q: How do I upgrade a building?

A: Click on the building in your city map or resource summary list and if you have the available resources to upgrade your building you will be able to choose "upgrade."

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 02:24
My suggestion would to be release logs of global chat over a week or two so that questions asked there can be added to the FAQ.  
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 02:27
Q:  Is there any way to queue more than two buildings or researches at a time?

A: No, there can be one building being constructed and one waiting in the queue at a time.  Research is the same, with one item being researched and one waiting to be researched.

Q:  Is there any way to speed up research?

A:  No, research speed cannot be increased.

Q:  How do I get quests?

A:  After you have completed your Tavern and researched Trade Contacts, mouse over the world map (tree) button and click on the Quests (list) button at the bottom.  You will need beer to accept a quest.

Q:  How can I get more resources?

A: Upgrade resource fields to increase resource production.  You can also claim free resources for your daily bonus by mousing over the world map (tree) button and clicking on the H button in the top left corner, then clicking "Claim daily bonus."  You can increase production of specific resources by 20% by spending prestige (mouse over the crown button).  Production of a particular resource can be increased by casting a Geomancy spell.

Q:  How many spells can I cast at a time?

A:  Only one spell from each spell school can be cast on a particular city at a time.  For example, one could cast a Mark of Fear OR a Mark of Slaying OR a Mark of Seeking, since all of these spells are from the Runes spell school.  However, you can cast multiple spells of the same school from one city at a time.  For example, you can cast geomancy spells on the cities of several of your friends, as long as those cities do not already have a geomancy school active.

Q:  How can I get more population?

A:  Each building you construct or upgrade adds a certain amount of population.  A few buildings do not add any population at some levels, such as the level 1 flour mill.  The amount of population added by a building is equal to food consumption.  Each unit of population consumes one food per hour.  The amount of population a building creates is listed under "Consumption" on the building sheet, and the total production at the next level is found in the "Upgrade Further" box on that page.

Q:  Can I use prestige to speed up incoming caravans from other players?

A:  No, using prestige only works to speed up your own caravans.

Q: What does it mean when I get a mail saying my caravan was interrupted?  Or when my caravans interrupted another caravan?

When two players send caravans to harvest at the same resource, the second caravan to arrive will interrupt or "bump" the caravan of the first player.  The first player's caravan will return to his/her town with the amount of resources that had been harvested up to the point of being interrupted.  The second player's caravans will then begin gathering the resource and will stay until it is full, until the available resource is exhausted, or until it is bumped by another caravan.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 02:33
Q: How can I build a storehouse?

A:  You built a storehouse during the tutorial.  It is a small, rectangular yellow building with a peaked roof.

Q:  How can I build a warehouse?

A:  Upgrade your storehouse to level 15 and study Inventory Management.

Q:  How can I get more than 5 caravans?

A: Upgrade your marketplace to level 5 and study Bartering in the Trade portion of the research tree.  Continue to upgrade your market and study additional subjects in that research line to achieve a maximum of 70 caravans per city.  Research in the Improved Loading line of the research tree to increase caravan carrying capacity.

Q: How can I get more research points?

A:  Upgrade your library to increase your production of research points per hour.  You can also convert books to research points in the Reading Room in your library.

Edited by Rill - 17 Nov 2011 at 02:47
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 02:42
Q:  What happens if I produce or receive more resources than I can store?

A:  Any resources that are produced by the city or brought back to the city by caravans or returning armies in excess of total available storage disappear.  They are siphoned off by the developers and resold on the market for beer money.

Q: Is there any limit to gold, research points or mana?

A: No, gold, research points and mana are not subject to storage limitations.  You can accumulate unlimited amounts of these resources.

Edited by Rill - 17 Nov 2011 at 02:48
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 03:21
Q: What are the differences between the races?

A:  Races differ in resource plot distribution and in the statistics of their diplomatic and military units. Each race begins with a total of 25 plots.  Humans begin with 5 of each resource plot.  Elves begin with 5 of each plot except 7 wood and 3 clay.  Dwarves begin with 5 of each plot except 7 stone and 3 iron. Orcs begin with 5 of each plot except 7 clay and 3 wood.  Each race has the same basic types of diplomatic and military unit, but each unit has a different name and characteristics depending on race.  Each race has a "specialized" military unit that is substantially stronger than other races' unit of the same type.  The specialized units are human cavalry, elven bows, dwarven infantry (swords) and orc spears.  Elves have a 5% bonus to magic.

Q:  What race is the best?

A: No one is comfortable answering this question, but the developers seem to really like elves.

Q:  What can thieves steal?

A:  Basic (t1) thieves can steal anything beginning with a "b":  basic resources (including food), beer and books.  Advanced thieves can steal anything but siege blocks, cattle or horses.

Edited by Rill - 17 Nov 2011 at 04:03
fluffy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 03:27
Manannan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 03:36
I think I recall seeing a few on this version of the New Player Guide... 

There could be more on the next... who knows! Wink
Doesn't look good... doesn't look bad either!

"Manananananananananan, so long Sir, and thanks for all the fish." ~ St.Jude
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 04:02
Q: Why can't I cast a rune during new player protection?

A: I don't know, I personally think you should be able to.  Maybe the developers consider it a waste of mana because you can't be attacked during this time.  In any case, you can cast a rune when your 7-day new player protection has elapsed.

Edited by Rill - 17 Nov 2011 at 04:04
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 01:09
Really great suggestions everyone! Thank you so much. I've incorporated many of them into the FAQ and will continue to do so as we receive more questions. 
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic