illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faction Play: SiegeQuest 1 - OCT 7, 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faction Play: SiegeQuest 1 - OCT 7, 2020
    Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 01:46
Hello, Illyrians!

I am pleased to announce the launch of Faction Play's first official server-wide event: SiegeQuest 1! The military event is set to begin on October 7, 2020, but preparations for the event are already underway. 

A SiegeQuest is a dynamic military event within the Faction Play gaming circuit that gives players and alliances the opportunity to participate in an active siege battle -- either on offense or defense. This is NOT a war -- it is more like a tournament. The cities being sieged are either inactive or owned by players who consent to be sieged, and all participation in the event is 100% voluntary. It is simply a fun way for players to experience a real siege battle without anyone getting offended or sucked into a war that they don't want to be in.

Here are the details:

• SiegeQuest 1 will involve two sieges -- one in Elgea, and one in the Broken Lands.
  • The conflict will pitch player-led factions ELVES and Dlord against ORCS.
  • Players and alliances will have the opportunity to join either ELVES/Dlord or ORCS and assist them in their siege/defense.
For this first SiegeQuest, there are some limits on the amount and types of troops that players can use. This is to keep the playing field even so that smaller players and alliances can participate. The rules are as follows:

• No elites.
  • No T3 gear that increases attack or defense. (Gear that speeds armies and/or reduces attack/defense are ok.)
  • Army sizes are limited to 5K in XP value. If you are unsure how to calculate this, please consult this chart:

• Siege armies will be allowed up to 25K in total forces, not including siege engines.

Again, in future SiegeQuest events we'll open up the rules considerably, but baby steps for now.

All are welcome to participate, no matter how big or small you are. Here's how:

1. Consult the Faction Play Alliance Rankings to see which faction your alliance ranks positively with. You can see consolidated rankings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uoMq3KZQDhywSucwA-9tmb_NfO3tIFDz-OU6_gdPL5w/edit#gid=0
  2. Send a message to the Faction that you want to align with and pledge your support.
  3. The Faction will coordinate with you on offense or defense.
  4. NOTE: Your alliance will have to arrange a NAP withthe Faction you are supporting if you intend to reinforce.
It is strongly advised that participants join the Faction Play Slack Account, which will serve as a central planning platform for both sides. You can join here.

FAQs

War is really, really mean / we are a peaceful alliance. Wouldn't this constitute war / PvP?

SiegeQuest is definitely PvP, but it is nothing like the "metawars" that many echew in Illyriad. SiegeQuest is like a tournament in that 1) the battle is a set-piece and not a tactical/strategic maneuver to hurt or weaken another player or alliance, and 2) everyone involved wants to be involved and players decide how many of their troops they want to risk in the event.

Sieging people is really, really mean. It breaks my heart to think of someone losing their precious city!

No worries! All players within the Faction Play gaming circuit are 100% opted in to the action. No one is ever sieged against their will; they are willing to put their cities on the line for the sake of making Faction Play events more dynamic and realistic for other players like you. Faction Play also looks for inactive cities to use as set-pieces as well. No matter what, the only players who ever risk the loss of a city are consenting Faction Players.

I'm not in an alliance. Can I still play?

Sure! If you re an elf, you can request to join ELVES temporarily for the event. The same is true for dwarves and Dlord, or orcs and ORCS. If you are a human, we can likely help to place you in an affiliated alliance so that you can be involved. [NOTE: we still need an all-human Faction!]

Faction Players like to role-play their characters, but I'm not interested in that. Can I still play?

Absolutely. Not even everyone in the player-led Factions role play, and you don't have to, either. We strongly encourage role playing because we feel that it makes interactions less "personal," and we all know that personal conflicts have long driven very ugly, messy, and divisive wars in the game. Playing a character adds richness and fun to conflicts, as well as some "distance" between ourselves and the actions that occur in the game. But it is not a requirement.

I really don't like [insert Faction Player name here] and I'm going to break the rules of your stupid event to seek revenge on them.

This is exactly what Faction Play is trying to get rid of in the game. If you have a beef against one of us, that's fine, but flagrantly breaking the rules to get at a specific player, or just to ruin the fun for a bunch of people will not be tolerated. Some of the player-led factions loathe one another as part of role-playing fun, but as a gaming league, we are 100% unified and support each other completely in the game. We ask that you please bring this level of respect to your interactions with Faction Play as well.

Who should I contact?

• ELVES/Dlord -- For Elgea: Ironhand, Duran / For BL: Jejune
  • ORCS -- Elgea/BL: Eowan the Orc

We really hope you'll give this a try! Our goal here is not to win or lose a siege, but to get as many of you involved as possible. A modest goal is to have about a dozen or so players involved on each team, outside of the members from ELVES, Dlord and ORCS. If you want in, then we want to hear from you!

Alliances: feel free to pledge support of a faction in this thread!

OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 09:39
One of the best player initiated set-ups. Easy to follow and fun to play. Faction Play combines role play with action, attacks and defences.  It can combine with Illyriad's Faction narratives making each event original and entertaining. This a refreshing way to play Illyriad.  Alliances join up!Clap
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 14:14
Thank you, Ossianll! We agree about incorporating the NPC/dev-created Factions as well. Were already using them in quests that we do with players, as well as with our alliance ranking algorithm. For the algorithm, each faction has unique modifiers assigned to their faction hubs and, depending on how close an alliance's capital is to those hubs, they affect the overall ranking of the alliance in relation to the player-led factions.

that being said, we're looking for even more ways to incorporate the NPC Factions. We'd love to hear more ideas!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic