Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExodus Alters Underlying Terrain...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 21:06
Here's a bit of an interesting update: I did an exodus off of a terraformed square (don't ask) and it actually converted the square into the proper terrain (as in, instead of normal plains with 3 stone 7 food, it became an actual Fertile Pasture, sheep and all).  I wonder if it was just random, or if that would always happen when moving off of terraformed terrain...
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 21:50
I have noticed Exodus altering the exit sqs terrain.  I've seen 7 food become 5/5/5/5/5 and I've seen mountains become hills.
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 00:53
This may be unrelated, but I recall that at some distant point in the past the devs made significant changes to the land of Illyriad (IIRC, it was the same time they introduced biomes).  Of course, squares with cities were not changed so as not to disrupt player cities.  Perhaps they coded it so that when the cities are removed (for whatever reason) the land changes they meant to implement were implemented?

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 02:51
Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

This may be unrelated, but I recall that at some distant point in the past the devs made significant changes to the land of Illyriad (IIRC, it was the same time they introduced biomes).  Of course, squares with cities were not changed so as not to disrupt player cities.  Perhaps they coded it so that when the cities are removed (for whatever reason) the land changes they meant to implement were implemented?
QFT - the system attempts to revert land to what it should have been after the Poussin/fractal terrain, elevation and biome seeding; if the recently evacuated terrain isn't currently what it should be in the eyes of the system.  

The map contains concepts of each square's current terrain type, its underlying terrain type (which is what it was intended to be after the seeding), and its original terrain type (what it was when the map was first created, before the seeding).

Hope that helps.

SC
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 02:56
So does this mean when we exodus to a sq that it may not be the same terrain as it should be when our city lands?

If so was that intended, if not will it be fixed?

Or is this purely for when our cities leave?
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 02:58
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

So does this mean when we exodus to a sq that it may not be the same terrain as it should be when our city lands?

If so was that intended, if not will it be fixed?

Or is this purely for when our cities leave?
It's only when city spots are vacated, either by abandonment, razing, exodus or, I believe, Tenaril's.

Nothing to worry about, it's always been this way, and we're not changing anything.

SC
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 03:56
Whew was worried I was gonna lose my terraformed mountain.  
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 04:42
This explains some terraformed squares that seemed to change after cities were razed.  I had seen it happen a few times, but it was not very common.  So terraforming and then razing a city is not as "safe" as terraforming and then capturing a city.  Likewise, the proposal by some (I think EF in particular) to terraform by doing multiple Exo-Tenarils and then razing cities and claiming sovereignty might not work out so well.
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 00:12
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

This explains some terraformed squares that seemed to change after cities were razed.  I had seen it happen a few times, but it was not very common.  So terraforming and then razing a city is not as "safe" as terraforming and then capturing a city.  Likewise, the proposal by some (I think EF in particular) to terraform by doing multiple Exo-Tenarils and then razing cities and claiming sovereignty might not work out so well.

Hmm.  Strangely, EF's results seemed to indicate that the terraform would remain, but the town that is on the test spot (-710/844) now is on 5-food.  I wonder if that's because the terraform failed, or someone just teleported a town on top of it.  I wish there was some sort of way to view the history for a specific square.  Oh the stories they would tell...
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by Darmon Darmon wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Hmm.  Strangely, EF's results seemed to indicate that the terraform would remain, but the town that is on the test spot (-710/844) now is on 5-food.  I wonder if that's because the terraform failed, or someone just teleported a town on top of it.  I wish there was some sort of way to view the history for a specific square.  Oh the stories they would tell...

Yeah, perhaps make it a research... 
...Perhaps some geomancer cutting down a tree to count the year-rings, or something like that   LOL

...oh, yes, and of course this research would be needed to subsequently research terraforming... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic