Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExodus Alters Underlying Terrain...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exodus Alters Underlying Terrain...?
    Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 19:44
So far I've done exodus with two towns, and both times the underlying terrain where the city used to be was altered (both started on large mountains, and one became small hills while the other became plains).

I assumed the game was trying to normalize some of the anomalous terrain that exists because of how the game world used to be (when the fractal map was added, apparently towns kept their directly adjacent terrain types, even if that made things a bit silly).

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone noticed a pattern of the shifts?  Does it only happen when the prior terrain is a mountain (or do people only notice when mountains suddenly disappear)?  Since the immediately surrounding terrain doesn't seem to affect anything, perhaps the new terrain is just randomly determined from all the applicable terrain types for the biome and elevation?  Or does the alteration not always happen?
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 21:44
My last Exodus was around August of last year but looking at the square I left behind it is as I assumed it should be, an all 5 plot, plains square.
Bonfyr Verboo
TomBombadil View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 22:13
I've witnessed this as well.

Two cities in the last two months changed a large mountain square to normal plains after exodus.
Both large mountains were there long before my cities initially settled on them.
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 02:34
Hmm.  The other person I asked regarding the behavior also said it had only been noticed regarding an ex-mountain town of theirs.  So...maybe it only happens with mountains?  It would certainly be weird if only one terrain type was affected...
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 03:05
One thing that may occur is that every so often the game converts squares suitable to be "inhabited" by new player cities.  These squares are small woods (elves), plains (humans), small mountains (dwarves) and small hills (orcs) with the relevant resource plots.  It's possible that the squares were converted for re-use, especially if they were in the newb ring.
TomBombadil View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:16
My two cities were just about as far away from the newb ring as they could be.
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 20:15
Yep, my two were out in The Wastes (egh) and I think the other one I heard mentioned was out East somewhere.

I've seen the newb ring terrain roll over, though I'm not sure exactly when that happens either.  Is it daily?  Or when a newb leaves a square in the ring?  Or when a new newb appears with a new town?

Edited by Darmon - 07 Mar 2013 at 20:17
Rorgash View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 20:23
sounds like a bug as this is not supposed to happen.
Jorcle View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 22:32
I reported something similar as a bug on 24/01/12. I moved a city from a fertile pasture and it became plains. At the time we had just had an update and I thought it might have been related to that.
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 23:24
Hmm, if one of my exo's hadn't turned a mountain into hills, I'd be wondering if they only ever converted into plains.  I wonder if it's possible to have the terrain actually become *better* after you leave?  Like converting a 5 food into a 7 food.  Would be an interesting new way to terraform, for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic