Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Exciting supercommanders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exciting supercommanders

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exciting supercommanders
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 02:37
The ongoing Defy Death update discussion fueled a surge of wishful thinking in my mind, this time focused on commanders and the role that they play in Illyriad. I think we all can agree that, as it stands, one commander with many leveled-up skills is totally replaceable with multiple specialized lowlings that are much cheaper to resurrect. This makes commanders not very interesting or special, ultimately you just have a bunch of tools in the shed named Stal1, Stal2, Stal3... you get the idea Big smile

What if training a high level commander unlocked some super-skills and stratagems that a low-level commander cannot dream of (say, certain skills become unlockable only past level 60)? What if these skills were so unique that you can unlock no more than one with a single commander, and then level up that skill?

Here are some possibilities. The proposed superskills each have 3 levels.

1. Dodge. This skill becomes unlockable if all of commander's defensive bonuses (individual and divisional) are maxed. It allows you to direct the army camped in field to feint another square (and then return back to its camp). The dodge has some probability of success, e.g. 25% chance with level 1 and 75% chance at level 3, but there is no penalty (or maybe a slight penalty, like no more than 1 dodge per hour).

2. Stealth.
With maxed uncanny sense, defy death, and all the individual defensive skills your commander can learn to become a true ninja invisible to the enemies. The opponent does not see his army approaching until it comes close enough. Level 1 stealth gets you invisibility on the city's incoming radar until you reach 3x the city's diplo visibility radius, level 2 - 2x the radius, and level 3 - 1x the radius.

3. Super-heroism. With this super-heroic commander (maxed heroism and all the divisional attack skills), you can do sally forth more often than with normal commanders.

4. Looting. If your commander has maxed logistics and all maxed attack skills, he can learn to loot more than just basic resources. L1 - up to 25% of all T2 res in the city (the chance for basic resources distribution should work kind of like the thief mechanics), L3 - up to 75%. Oh, and better yet - this commander's army can rip off any of the opponent's crafted gear too, and bring it home. Now that's logistics, folks!

5. Charm offensive. This commander is such an awesome fellow that some fraction of the attacking or defending army refuses to attack/defend when he's around, and all there's left to do is mow down these slack-jawed oglers! L1 - 10% of the soldiers get charmed, L2 - 15%, and L3 - 20%. This is basically an attack/defense booster rolled into a single bonus effective against any army. Subject to 50/50 chance roll.

What skills would you like your supercommander to have?


Edited by Tink XX - 26 Feb 2018 at 02:40
Back to Top
eowan the short View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 446
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 03:53
they sound cool :)

I am curious about what dodging would do if someone was blockading/sieging with that army- would it be temporarily lifted meaning the town could exo or would it simply pause the siege and halt the effect of the blockade for a period of time?

Charm offensive sounds a bit OP... I could use a small attack on an army 1 million troops strong and kill 200k troops...
Perhaps it could be a debuff rather than a killer giving the opposition a reduced stat because they don't want to fight.
I think a slightly different skill name would also make more sense- Force of Personality. This would mean orcs with their... less than charming appearance... are still included :)

Back to Top
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 06:10
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

I am curious about what dodging would do if someone was blockading/sieging with that army- would it be temporarily lifted meaning the town could exo or would it simply pause the siege and halt the effect of the blockade for a period of time?


Thanks Eowan! Good question. I think, for the dodge mechanics to make sense, the state of the blockade/siege should be preserved when they get back (no storm population reset, no new siege/blockade announcement, it should pick up from where it was).

As to what happens when the army is actually dodging... most likely with the current data model of the game it wouldn't make sense if the army was executing two stratagems at once (blockade + feint or siege + feint). In which case the blockade or siege gets briefly lifted and if it's a single tile siege/blockade the city has a chance to exo. But ideally this wouldn't happen - the siege army is still there even if they're carrying out an evasive maneuvre. 
Back to Top
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Location: Farshards
Status: Offline
Points: 300
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 14:18
isn't there a discoverie allready for a maxed level commander?
Back to Top
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 17:53
Originally posted by Corwin Corwin wrote:

isn't there a discoverie allready for a maxed level commander?


I was not aware that such a discovery exists, I've never bothered with high level commanders personally, for the reasons stated in the original post. What's the discovery then?

Regardless of whether such a bonus exists or not, my proposal is more along the lines of picking an additional skill for specializing the commander once it reaches a certain level, not a one size fits all bonus for a completely maxed out commander.
Back to Top
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Location: Farshards
Status: Offline
Points: 300
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 18:08
I don't know if there's one. I was asking, partially because I'm curious if any player has a max level commander. I doubt it, because levels above 150 need immense amounts of xp for a single level. I do hope there's one, because I think it's a great achievement to get there.

Edited by Corwin - 26 Feb 2018 at 18:09
Back to Top
AdmiralRage View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AdmiralRage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 02:27
Critical Strike- if all division attack bonuses maxed; 5% chance of doubling (or 150%) the attack power of the division

Necromancer- (just outright replace magic resistance); revives 1-10% of casualties

Haste- if all logistics skills maxed, +3 to commander and division speed
Back to Top
Blankit View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2018
Location: Everywhere
Status: Offline
Points: 55
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 03:54
Originally posted by Corwin Corwin wrote:

I don't know if there's one. I was asking, partially because I'm curious if any player has a max level commander. I doubt it, because levels above 150 need immense amounts of xp for a single level. I do hope there's one, because I think it's a great achievement to get there.


ScottFitz said he had one. It takes 1.9m exp. When I asked a few days ago, some people also said that Malek had one too.
---E ---E Now selling pitchforks at The Pitchfork -Emporium. ---E ---E
Back to Top
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn


Joined: 19 Oct 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 56
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 09:52
Originally posted by Corwin Corwin wrote:

...I'm curious if any player has a max level commander. I doubt it...

I got a few of them. Technicly I only levelled up one of them to get steam achivement and then reset his skills, but at least 4 have enough exp to go up max. I definetely saw someone (I think it was Count Rupert) admitting in GC he has a max level comma too. So it's not that impossible I guess.

And no, I didn't get any discoverias or other bonuses for maxing my commander.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.