illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do it your own way - the anti-guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 23:34
long overdue post. huzzah!

the standard advice came about because players arrived in illyriad in a time before guides and tutorials and asked "what do i do now?". i think we're beyond it now. and there is no longer any point to racing to ten cities because ten cities is not the end. in any case, the greatest danger to a new player is not remaining irrelevant for too long, or failing to build an army quickly enough to defend him/herself...it's becoming bored while hewing too close to the "optimal" advice. most players will never see ten cities. i have ten. it's a lot like having nine...only more. if you weren't enjoying the game at nine, ten will not solve that, so best get on with finding something about the game that you like and keep doing it.

Originally posted by Solanar Solanar wrote:

Not joining an alliance right away is, and always has been, bunk advice. It’s whiner advice. It’s advice from people who might have liked to recruit you, but didn’t want to seem desperate and invite you too soon.
this will be my quibble. players who appear in gc before they've even finished the tutorial and ask what alliance they can join do not yet understand the point of joining one. mostly they have come from one of the other similar games and they are asking out of fear. to recruit a player like that is to take advantage, imo. if that is a whine, so be it.
Originally posted by Solanar Solanar wrote:

You know what penalty you pay for joining an alliance too soon? Fewer donations from the GC crowd, and potentially having to wait 6 hours between dropping that alliance and joining another. If a 6 hour wait is too much for you, you’ve picked the wrong game anyway.
generally true. but there was at least one Elgean alliance where the penalty was a Tenaril spell, and there can be other penalties in the form of city placement (varying from bad placement advice to forced relocation--the "that was an alliance spot" strongarm tactic) and even military reprisal. illyriad has seen it all. i think there's value to looking around before one allies oneself. to paraphrase your comment, if a 7 day wait (under protection) is too much for you, you've picked the wrong game anyway.

King korr View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King korr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 00:19
Solanar  i agree with point's raised in this post i regular tell members that guides we write and advice we give it what we're found useful it isn't by any mean's how it should be done just how i've found it useful. (Or the people giving the advice.) 

Same as waiting to joining an alliance to me join as soon as possible even if it's means leaving as it could take you a few tries to find an alliance that suit's you be in active AC or even an AC where your happy talking. So why wait 2 weeks to join an alliance then have to move if the alliance doesn't fit you as 80% of alliance won't care if you had 2 days in one alliance in but left as it didn't fit you. 
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 00:21
I've been told I am an expert in 'Do it your own way' and I would contribute to this thread, but that is not my way of doing it.

I would be willing to share my knowledge for a minimal fee. Contact me if interested.

Do it your own wayDo it you own way'

Do it your own way

Thorgrim View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 09:43
Hear Hear!
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:06
This post is exactly what I have been saying for years. I never followed the advice so freely handed out in GC, built up troops from day, attacked anything I could find, and had fun. I eventually joined an alliance that did help my growth but always was producing troops and testing things. The GC advice is good for the people who want to socialize and spend their days being bored, but following your own way is the best advice anyone can give. With the changes in number of cities you can have 7 food has become more valuable but it people still want to aim for 20 or more cities it can still be attained with not so optimum food cities.

The bottom line is PLAY HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY AND DO NOT TRY FORCE YOUR WAYS ONTO OTHERS. Choose your neighbors wisely, settle your cities in areas that benefit your play style and avoid areas where you might be drawn into issues you do not want to be part of. If you find yourself in a place of conflict and you do not like it move to a more peaceful area and visa versa.

Just remember the bigger alliances will say they do not force their will on but in reality they will do just that so it is best to settle away from them if you want to play freely.
Kaggen is my human half
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 14:33
I agree with Loonie, i spent some time pressing buttons until i broke something, and it was fun. Admittedly, i was recruited into an alliance almost immediately, and the i was constantly overwhelmed with vats of res, but i had fun overall. i experimented with what you could do, killed things, annoyed people (always made up in the end though, mostly), chatted, sent out diplos to random points to see what happens, 
Of course i spew out the usual things in GC, do this do that, but then i always add the extra bit on the end saying that if you don't find this appealing then do something else. i always send more than just basics in care-a-vans so people can build more than just storehouses. 

i haven't gone down the get loads of pop route since i got my fifth town. i'm constantly demoing and rebuilding other buildings to see what they do and how well they work for me. i haven't gone past 29000 pop in ages...

all in all i think that players should have some basis on how to start out, but shouldn't be pressured into doing the standard routine for the entire game. they should have room to grow and get a feel the game for themselves.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 14:50
+1
Bonfyr Verboo
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 14:53
This advice from Solanar works also without accepting Res from GC...
I started in a time without res bombardements and never needed any extra building materials except the very first gift caravans from King Sigurd. 

It took me about a month to get my first ally invitation (without GC again), stayed in there until it disbanded and got another invitation immediately =)

Oh, and the optimization... well, I started in first year of Illy and still have "just" 8 cities... OK, also due to exodus and one lost war... but mostly because it's so much effort and so "mainstream" to follow the perfect way, and too expensive to buy vast loads of prestige.
About prestige... well, you won't be able to outperform a player pumping in lots of money.
But hey! I'm still here, having fun playing Illy, do some leadership stuff in a top five alliance... so I guess it's definitly right to say one can play Illy for free (many thanks to the great devs for that! Clap)
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solanar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 17:52
Angrim,

My strong opinions on the subject of recruitment and waiting has to do with the frequent hypocrisy I saw as a new player. Over and over, players preaching not to join an alliance right away were the same people sending invites to first and second day newbs. It held a flavor of "Don't join an alliance right away, I need my shot at sending you an invite first." I don't pay as close attention any more, but I have noticed occasions of it in the last few months as well - when it's a training alliance doing the hypocrisy, maybe there is some justification, but often it's very small alliances who cannot properly care of the newbs once they have them. Still and all, joining an alliance too soon can work out well - it did for me, and others who have commented in this thread - and if it doesn't, the price is a small one (unless of course they quit altogether)

Sola
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 18:34
It took me a few days, but I didn't join a training alliance. I didn't know about training alliances as they were not in the top 10/20 on the alliance pages. I wrote to leadership of one who said they were not used to "training" anyone, but to come on in. I asked a zillion and one questions, everyday, no guide was offered. I eventually started visiting the forums and got blurbs of info.. but got better info from the vets in the alliance I joined. Guidance from experienced people helped me understand it a lot better.

The training alliance I am now in as a #Diva advisory vetted with the Mother alliance  writes its own guides in easy speak and the ac is VERY active for the same reason the Mother alliance was to me originally. There are boons to either alliance, and both vetted and training alliance should/will help along the ways of the game.

I don't think that the "funn" campaign is PRO anything, just a way of helps. That's the way I see it.

(I did benefit by somehow joining the one with Mannanan, but at the time, I didn't know him from any other vet) luck of the draw I guess. Big smile

Edited by Diva - 11 Apr 2015 at 18:43
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic