Topic ClosedDisbanding: Elgea PvP League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hadus View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disbanding: Elgea PvP League
    Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 04:39
UPDATE 12/2/12: The Elgea PvP League West is disbanding. There are two reasons for this. (1) I feel the current political climate is unsuitable for this project and too detrimental to recruitment to proceed at this time. (2) I believe I require more experience in Illyriad before I can run my own alliance.

The PvP League East is still functioning and recruiting. Lath had decided to maintain his portion of the alliance. As I understand it, he seems to be entertaining the idea of a military-based training alliance. If anyone is interested in joining, contact Lath via In-Game Message.

UPDATE 11/9/12: The Elgea PvP League is adding a training program for new players with an interest in military, diplomatic, and magical warfare.
At Lath's proposal, the PvP League is adding a new "apprentice" program to bolster recruitment. Any player under 5000 population and less than 3 months' experience can become an apprentice. Apprentices will be safe from all forms of attack and provided with the knowledge and resources necessary for becoming a substantial force in combat. Interested players should send an in-game message to Lath or Hadus (myself), or better yet, post here on the forum.

The Elgea PvP League* is now accepting invitation requests! If you yearn for an open form of Player vs Player combat that allows for greater degrees of freedom while protecting participants from annihilation, look no further!

The PvP League is actually two alliances, run by myself and Lath, set in a constant struggle against each other. New members are sorted into one alliance or the other, and let loose to engage each other in all sorts of different forms of combat. While we strive for freedom of action, a number of rules are put in place to temper the more permanently destructive strategies available.

The first Season of combat is approaching! We would like to start by December 1st at the latest, possibly before then depending on the number of interested players. Below is a host of information regarding recruitment, the way Seasons will work, and anything else that will help you determine if you wish to participate. Members can join without fear of commitment, as they may leave at any time, although they are encouraged to wait until the end of a Season to do so. For other alliances and on-the-fence players, we have included a guest system that lets you try out our alliance for one season to get a feel for how we operate.

*name change pending

Alliance Links

PvP League (west)

PvP League (east)

Edited by Hadus - 02 Dec 2012 at 22:58
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 06:39
Sounds like a pretty cool idea, I look forward to seeing all the rules and such. Maybe I'll join on my alt. =)
Magnificence View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 08:34
cool idea Hadus, well done.
Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 08:52
Originally posted by Hadus Hadus wrote:

The Mission

The mission of this project is to create a self-contained environment of relatively open Player vs. Player gameplay where players are allowed to engage each other in unscripted conflicts involving a moderate degree of risk, within an environment where allies are always available and where player growth may be impeded, but not lost.

The Plan

Two “rival” alliances will be formed, each self-run but abiding by a common set of rules and moderated by Overseers and Team Managers. The rules have been carefully crafted to minimize newbie harvesting, prevent the elimination of active players, and allow players to continue growing; yet, they are done so in a way that aims to maintain as much of the entertainment and benefit of aggressive gameplay as possible.

Note: As you can see, no one outside the two alliances will be put in any danger provided they do not disturb the members of either alliance. Meanwhile, members can engage in hostile actions between the two alliances without incurring the wrath of the greater community.

The idea is no doubt born from good intentions, however reality never falls neatly into rulesets and categories such as described above (and neither do people for that matter), and for that reason alone I believe this "theoretical construction" will never work in practice. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 09:35
dont think it will work, there too many egos amongst the people controlling the alliances, this is a war game, it looks like it is finally going to be played that way....we do have training alliances, if u dont want pvp u should go into one of them
Rorgash View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 09:41
BOOOORING, im all for PvP, and just waiting to get into another war, but i wont ever join something like this. NOT cool, and maybe some want brainless fighting for no other reason then hey i wanna send troops and get reports, fight NPCs, the reports looks the same 
Myr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 10:46
I have a very similar idea to this that I want to start after the war. The main difference is that I will use mine as a military training alliance then send my little warriors out into the world. Since very small players don't usually have troops the minimum will be 3 self-sufficient cities and I will welcome guest generals from other alliances. It is not meant to contain players that want PvP but rather to prepare players for actual combat which is something that has been frowned upon by many in the game. 

Good luck with your model, I think it will appeal to some people.

Edited by Myr - 28 Oct 2012 at 10:49
Southern Dwarf View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 13:20
Originally posted by Rorgash Rorgash wrote:

BOOOORING, im all for PvP, and just waiting to get into another war, but i wont ever join something like this. NOT cool, and maybe some want brainless fighting for no other reason then hey i wanna send troops and get reports, fight NPCs, the reports looks the same 
Yea, I think we got that you just want to wreak havoc on peaceful players and siege them out of the game to manifest your war game and bullying only style. If not, why comment on that at all?
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 13:26
A good and creative initiative Hadus that ,if successful, might lead to the instutionalisation of conflict within Illy. Being a pessimist I tend to think that project itself might be a tad over ambitious and yet the idea has enough merit to make me  say that the community should rally behind it - to see if we can acutally make it work.
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 13:41
Creating two warring factions that will be just in an eternal mock/fake war is imho an intelligent, but pointless idea because the conflict lacks definite purpose and "end-game"/winning condiotions. 

Improvements which can be made : 

- Once everymonth the recruitment stops and the existing members have 10 days to dish out the most damage to the opposing alliance. The alliance that wins the joust will get a reward/tribute from the one that lost. Thus you create mini tournaments. 
- Other mini tournament idea is capturing a hill and whoever holds it for more days or whoever holds it last gets the reward.
- Another idea is fighting for charity. Each alliance will pick a cause (e.g. UNISEF or Red Cross or whatever) and fight it out for a month. A deal will be worked out with the DEVs and half the prestige spent by the members of the alliances at that amount of time will go as a donation to the winner's cause. A smaller portion will go to the losers and the rest stays for the game who wins both money (albeit a bit less) and publicity. 

Another idea is trade fights or diplofights ... for example designating one city per person within the alliances and having only 1000 of each resource ... whichever alliance ends up with more resources in those cities, wins ... 

etc etc ... it is a good idea all in all ... just add purpose to it and I think that it will go great. :D 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic